By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Zero Review Thread: MC: 69 / GR: 68.84%

Volterra_90 said:
Lawlight said:

It's fine until you realise that only 30% of critics recommend the game.

The problem with that OpenCritic RT-like score is that they consider "not recommended" a score behind 75, I think. At least based on scores and the percentage. Metacritic says that any game behind 75 is a mixed response too. I think that nowadays they have to lower that mark. I get that before everything which was behind an 80 was a shitty review, but now, you can read reviews with a 70 score that speaks well of the game. In fact, a 70/100 it's not a bad score at all, and gaming reviews are changing, they're now harsher,  so it's ridiculous to keep the same "<75 = bad game". I was saying the same this gen with games like QB or SF:Zero. That's the way it is now. At least I think so.

If that's the way then it's not right because critics are harsher now.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

The Wiimote is dead for a bad reason. That reason is the Wii U. The Wii U is dead for a good reason. It killed the Wiimote.

I mean, Nintendo had their most successful home console and the next thing they did was a radical change to the controller. It has been said before, but what Nintendo did would be the equivalent of Apple stopping production of the iPhone and making phones like they were before the iPhone.

The Wiimote died before the Wii U. The Wii U died because it was the Wii U.

Nintendo also had their most embarrassing sales fall with the Wii. It wasn't sustainable. Nobody likes the Wiimote anymore. Nintendo did the equivalent of Activision stopping production of Guitar Hero games after people stopped buying them. And then making the Wii U. There's no real proper analogy to that.

RolStoppable said:

You are crazy on all accounts.

All geniuses are.

I agree that it's a little silly that 74/100 is not considered good.

SJReiter said:

Founder of OpenCritic here...

First, SF0 has 72/100

We have this on OpenCritic so that we can settle the "what is a good score?" debate once and for all. The average score across all games that are reviewed is roughly 74/100.

So Star Fox Zero is below average when compared to all other games reviewed.

The main caveat is the massive selection bias. The reality is that truly awful games just don't get reviewed. There are a whole bunch of games deserving of 1/10 and 2/10. But the reality is that they don't market themselves, don't distribute review copies effectively, etc.

But... There are roughly 70 games that have higher review scores that have come out in 2016 alone, and over 300 if you start to include 2015. If you were someone that just went in order based on review scores, and you played 1 game every couple of days, you might not ever get to Star Fox Zero.

I don't say this to discourage you guys from playing - "good" and "bad" are completely subjective, and I can't know for you. I'm personally going to go see the next Star Wars movie because I love Star Wars, and the reviews don't change that.

Around the Network
maenthoven said:
SJReiter said:

First, SF0 has 72/100

We have this on OpenCritic so that we can settle the "what is a good score?" debate once and for all. The average score across all games that are reviewed is roughly 74/100.

The main caveat is the massive selection bias. The reality is that truly awful games just don't get reviewed. There are a whole bunch of games deserving of 1/10 and 2/10. But the reality is that they don't market themselves, don't distribute review copies effectively, etc.

But... There are roughly 70 games that have higher review scores that have come out in 2016 alone, and over 300 if you start to include 2015. If you were someone that just went in order based on review scores, and you played 1 game every couple of days, you might not ever get to Star Fox Zero.

I don't say this to discourage you guys from playing - "good" and "bad" are completely subjective, and I can't know for you. I'm personally going to go see the next Star Wars movie because I love Star Wars, and the reviews don't change that.

Thanks for all that info. 

I actually wasn't referring to OpenCritic in my statement. I just meant that I thought it was silly how on MetaCritic, if a game gets a 74/100, it's yellow, meaning ''mixed scores." To me, a 74/100 indicates generally favorable scores. 

What you said about how 74 being the average is interesting though. It is a shame that different review sites use different scales in their reviews so it's difficult to consolidate them all. For example, IGN uses a scale where a 6.0 is 'Okay', 7.0 is 'Good', 8.0 is 'Great' and 9.0 is 'Amazing.' Most other sites would scale a 6.0 as being bad, not okay, so it's not clear how to compare the two. I do appreciate your efforts to try and accomplish this however. 

This game never excited me, so this score doesn't surprise me.

spemanig said:
RolStoppable said:

The Wiimote is dead for a bad reason. That reason is the Wii U. The Wii U is dead for a good reason. It killed the Wiimote.

I mean, Nintendo had their most successful home console and the next thing they did was a radical change to the controller. It has been said before, but what Nintendo did would be the equivalent of Apple stopping production of the iPhone and making phones like they were before the iPhone.

The Wiimote died before the Wii U. The Wii U died because it was the Wii U.

Nintendo also had their most embarrassing sales fall with the Wii. It wasn't sustainable. Nobody likes the Wiimote anymore. Nintendo did the equivalent of Activision stopping production of Guitar Hero games after people stopped buying them. And then making the Wii U. There's no real proper analogy to that.

I tend to agree with this. In Japan they actually do bundle the Wii U with a Wiimote too ... sales never really saw a boost from that, and including the Wiimote in the Wii U was kinda pointless because everyone already has 1-2 of them. 

None of Nintendo's control gimmicks really have held up. Anyone dying to use the Wii Fit scale these scales? *crickets* 

maenthoven said:

First, SF0 has 72/100

Okey, that's interesting. I think that the sentence "SF:Zero is in the bottom 48,2% of games scored on OpenCritic" is a good measure for a comprehensive review method. What I was wonderfing about OC method is the sentence that says: "38% of reviewers recommend this game" or something like that. This percentage is based on the actual score (<75 is considered a "not recommended" review, for example) or is it based on actually reading the reviews and evaluating if the review is negative or positive? I think that percentage is misleading, since a 7/10 review from a certain site could be positive, and another 7/10 review from a different site could be negative. I'd even say that reviews are harsher nowadays, so, for example, the limits that Metacritic puts to say if a game has "mixed or average" reviews or "generally positive reviews" is too high. (75 is the limit, I think). It'd be interesting to have data about how reviews scores lowered in the past/new gen. I'm almost entirely sure about that.

I fully agree on what you said, good and bad are subjective, and nowadays we have enough info to know if we'll like the game/movie/whatever. But I like to discuss about reviews nevertheless! :P

about what i expected, 7's range as the score average

cant wait for tomorrow,hyped

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick