By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So uh, what does Microsoft do now?

Dont see what MS can do really..... if the Neo is any indication it shows that Sony is not afraid to revise their hardware if they want. that aside, MS can't do anything significant till the next chip fabrication revision comes along. 10/7nm..... and by that time, everyone will pretty much know that the Sony will have something just around the corner too. All Sony has to do is announce that their nxt console will be fully BC with the PS4 and that's it.

then again, Sony can come out and annouce a $600 console and say TV, TV, TV......

Around the Network

Considering a 3 year cycle is one huge mistake, I think they'll be fine. The worst thing in the world right now for Microsoft and Nintendo is to start releasing home consoles like they're smart phones. Sony will learn the hard way that a home gaming console and a smart phone are not the same product.

Sure revenue is up, sales are good, and it's still outselling the 360.

Doom 'n gloom on VGC, doom 'n gloom.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

They should do nothing and continue the 6 year cycle OR take a huge hit, just like the 360, and build a beast of a system.

Half mesures wont do anything other than pissing off developers.

StokedUp said:
I'm not sure how much longer Microsoft will stay in the console business. I feel they lack the passion that Sony has, plus Microsoft have got the PC so I they really don't need it.

If Nintendo can "fail" and start a new generation, then so can Microsoft.

Id give MS a little more credit, with backwards compatibility, the Elite controller, and IP variety this gen

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Well, they could just chug along and make just enough money to get by (which it seems they are). Minecraft alone (games + merchandise) is doing its part to make XB1 do well every quarter.

But like PS2 era.......Sonys outright success will cause Microsoft to jumpstart a new generation, and leave Sony in a no win scenario: Keep PS4 going for more profits and give MS more time to establish, or rush PS5 to match next Xbox....and cut PS4 legs short in doing so.

Nintendo is doing this......but did so way too soon IMO. Xbox One still has 3 years left before a new gen i think

EDIT: They have to start a new gen and start it right. Like the 360, you launch with the gamer in mind. You make different SKUs for options in tech and price. And you establish yourself before Sony (because we now know they can't launch head to head).

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Cant wait for MisterXMedia lol!
Basically it doesn't matter what Microsoft does because if they don't have the market. Sony has beat Microsoft 3 generations in a row. Mostly because of brand. Microsoft needs to do whats in its best interest and get out of consoles.

Now i know that Phil said that another Xbox is coming but a device that allows for upgraded parts is a PC.

What would you do if you were Microsoft?

CosmicSex said:
Cant wait for MisterXMedia lol!
Basically it doesn't matter what Microsoft does because if they don't have the market. Sony has beat Microsoft 3 generations in a row. Mostly because of brand. Microsoft needs to do whats in its best interest and get out of consoles.

Now i know that Phil said that another Xbox is coming but a device that allows for upgraded parts is a PC.

What would you do if you were Microsoft?

Microsoft is not #1 in many of its fields. That doesn't mean you close up shop and leave lol. I mean seriously........

360 was profitable since 2008 if you look up their quarterly reports. Now losing that gen to PS3 by what.....2 million consoles is not by any means a crushing defeat. If anything they were winning the majority as PS3 had to crawl up to them over the years and finally passed them.......when the succesors launched.

And Microsoft lately has been doing this thing of making money off competition. They have been making their services available on competition devices for the last few years, and making a ton more money in doing so. Same goes in gaming.......we really appreciate PS gamers helping to fund Xbox with the purchasing of Minecraft ;P. Same goes for porting games to PC......making money off gamers who wouldn't tradionally buy a console or a Xbox.

Xbox One is making par. Not the PS4, but certainly not the Wiiu. They just have to stay the course and start the next gen, but do it on the right foot this time.

There is something quite surreal about Microsoft defenders proclaiming 'power doesn't matter'.

Soundwave said:

I think MS like they did with the first XBox is going to bail on this generation cycle. They can't win it.

XBox 2 in fall 2017, full upgrade from XB1, 10 TFLOP processor (14nm) + 16GB HBM2 RAM, 2K-4K resolution support, 4K Blu-Ray, upgradable system, runs full Windows. 

That would require billions just in R&D and production alone(full upgrade). Given the average sales of the Xbox 1(even with significant price drops), I'm not so sure they would be so eager to go through the expense and process all over again after just 4 years. Just my opinion. I see them bowing out of the console race after the Xbox 1.

Do they have any exclusives listed for 2017 besides Scalebound and Recore??