By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Souls III is Bandai Namco America’s fastest selling title ever

But... I thought DS was niche.

Around the Network

Update:

Capcom: Monster Hunter: World fastest selling Capcom game ever
Nintendo: Breath of the Wild fastest selling Zelda game ever + Odyssey fastest selling 3D Mario game ever
Square Enix: Final Fantasy XV fastest selling Final Fantasy game ever
Sega: Persona 5 best selling Persona game ever
Blizzard: Overwatch best selling Blizzard console game ever
Sony: Uncharted 4 fastest selling Sony game ever + Horizon: Zero Dawn fastest selling new Sony IP ever
Bandai Namco: Dark Souls III fastest selling Bandai Namco game in the west ever
Ubisoft: The Division fastest selling Ubisoft game ever + fastest selling new IP ever
Bethesda: Fallout 4 fastest selling Bethesda game ever
Warner Games: Batman Arkham Knight fastest selling Warner game ever
Activision: Destiny 2nd fastest selling new IP ever
Take-Two: Grand Theft Auto V 3rd best selling game ever with 90 mill sold
Microsoft: Minecraft 2nd best selling game ever with 144 mill sold

Mike_L said:

That's good to hear. Even though Sega, Capcom (I'm longing for a comeback of 2 of my favorite publishers) and the overall Japanese home console industry are struggling nowadays, other publishers seem to do really well at the moment by breaking internal records especially in the west.

Bandai Namco: Dark Souls III fastest selling Bandai Namco game in the west ever
Ubisoft: The Division fastest selling Ubisoft game ever + fastest selling new IP ever
Bethesda: Fallout 4 fastest selling Bethesda game ever
Warner Games: Batman Arkham Knight fastest selling Warner game ever + 2015 best year for Warner Games ever
Activision Blizzard: Destiny 2nd fastest selling new IP ever
Take-Two: Grand Theft Auto V 3rd best selling game ever with 60 mill sold (only behind Tetris and Wii Sports)
Microsoft: Minecraft 3rd best selling game ever with 60 mill sold as well

Additionally, we have Uncharted 4 releasing in 3 weeks. It may be premature but it seems that this title might end up breaking records for its publisher. I don't think it will exceed GT3's 14.89 mill or GT5's 11.94 mill lifetime sales but it may end up being the fastest (1st day/week/month/year) selling PS 1st party title.

If Square Enix's expectations is anything to go by Final Fantasy XV may end up being one of their best selling games ever as well. At least I hope so as I'd like to see the Japanese home console game development do good again. Regarding the handheld industry though, things are looking a lot better in Japan with Nintendo's huge Mario and Pokémon sales and Capcom and Level-5's strong sales of Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch, respectively.

Mike_L said:

Update:

Nintendo: Breath of the Wild fastest selling Zelda game ever + Odyssey fastest selling 3D Mario game ever
Sony: Uncharted 4 fastest selling Sony game ever + Horizon: Zero Dawn fastest selling new Sony IP ever
Ubisoft: The Division fastest selling Ubisoft game ever + fastest selling new IP ever

All that doom and gloom, before this gen started.
Really doesnt look like the video game industry is in a bad place at all.

Deserved!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

JRPGfan said: 
Mike_L said:

Update:

All that doom and gloom, before this gen started.
Really doesnt look like the video game industry is in a bad place at all.

Agreed. The console industry is thriving. I even forgot a recent success (Bandai Namco's Dragon Ball FighterZ being the fastest selling DB game ever).

Dedicated handhelds seem to lose market share these years due to mobile gaming but I think that was inevitably giving that the phone (a device that we always carry around) can provide gaming on the go.

If PS4 ends up at 120 mill, XB1 only needs to sell 52.7 mill in order for them to reach PS3 and XB360 combined (172.7 mill). Additionally, I think Switch has a good chance to match Wii's success (101.64 mill).

Software numbers seems to be better than ever as well (link).

Around the Network

Dark Souls 3 is the early access game for this coming humble monthly.

Includes Ashes DLC. You can subscribe for 1 month to get the game and immediately cancel. You still receive the additional games for that coming month. This is how I got "Rise of the Tomb Raider" and "Getting Over IT" for basically $12.

4 ≈ One