By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - A Smart Move By Microsoft.

Microsoft's decision to keep Xbox One console sales private is paying off. 

Gamers are no longer talking about the console's unit numbers, but are talking about what really matters, the games that are coming to the console.

I never thought Microsoft would have made a move like that, and I thought the move wasn't necessary, but when you are trying to sell a product to as many people as possible, finding a way to eliminate any negative news about that product is just smart business.

Around the Network
Jega said:

Microsoft's decision to keep Xbox One console sales private is paying off. 

Gamers are no longer talking about the console's unit numbers, but are talking about what really matters, the games that are coming to the console.

I never thought Microsoft would have made a move like that, and I thought the move wasn't necessary, but when you are trying to sell a product to as many people as possible, finding a way to eliminate any negative news about your product is just smart business.

Blizzard has done this as well but that doesn't mean WoW is becoming more and more amazing or subs coming in the millions, if anything they are losing subs and their recent closing of a Vanilla server is spreading like wildfire.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I believe people who visit this site are more interested in sales numbers than the average consumer. Ask the average person how many each system has sold and most probably wouldn't have a clue.

That's not something you hear everyday, your going to break the Internet making statemeets like "A Smart Move By Microsoft".

I'm not quite sure how that's a smart move, and people have NOT stopped talking about sales. There has been multiple articles about the console wars in the last few days spewing numbers.

Xbox was doomed from that initial announcement, always on Internet required within 24hrs, no used games, always on kinect, auto pausing if the user leaves the room, charging per person watching for movies.

Then on top of all that, it being the underdog in power vs sony, the three os's fighting for control of the xbone, and the live fuctionally not even being close to as good as the 360, solidified the Xbone as a dud.

If we were to reboot sales right now, ps4 would destroy xbox, many xbox loyalists including myself crossed over. Our gamers score and friends on LIVE being the only thing that was holding us back, now that many of them are on psn, Microsoft has nothing but fanboyismers left in its corner.

They didn't make a machine for gamers, they made a DRM entertainment box, and not a good one at that.

Bandorr said:
Of course Jega would be in favor of LESS information.

Good business sense (like that HILARIOUS pile of PR for the latest NPD) is not always good customer sense. Hiding numbers so customers can't know the truth isn't good.

It also isn't fooling anyone.

It's already working in Microsoft's favor, besides Gamers care about games, let the business people worry about sales, and besides the Xbox One is selling well, so no worries there for anybody.

Around the Network

If gamers were interested in sales numbers vgchartz community would not be that small, last generation was a good example why hw numbers don't really mean that much.

Jega said:
Bandorr said:

Good business sense (like that HILARIOUS pile of PR for the latest NPD) is not always good customer sense. Hiding numbers so customers can't know the truth isn't good.

It's already working in Microsoft's favor, besides Gamers care about games, let the business people worry about sales, and besides the Xbox One is selling well, so no worries there for anybody.

how exactly is it working in Microsofts favor?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

We can't all be number one. The problem is in this industry, there is this old weird idea that if you are not number one, you failed.
Yeah you failed, but you only failed at being number one. Your overall success however, the one that should matter, is different.

So yeah, I think it's good to stir away the conversation on other factors. If the Xbox is making a good amount of money, is selling well, if a lot of games are being developed on it, then well yes, it's a success, not as big as Sony's, but still a success.

The WiiU however is still a huge failure, well done Nintendo, you get a trophy for participation

Jega said:
Bandorr said:

How is it working in their favor? Demonstrably. You can say that "people are talking about games, not sales", but that's just fluff, unless you can prove that you have your finger on the pulse of the entire XBOX community . Which you obviously can't.  You can't prove gamers were talking about games or sales more or less at any point of the XB1 life cycle thus far. And how, even conceptually, is this a pay off anyways? Sales are roughly the same......Frankly, this post is so poorly thought out that I wonder if it's an attempt at trolliing.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Lack of xbox one sales transparency has more to do with investors and video game devs/pubs. It could hurt or break future deals with 3rd party devs. MS PR isn't really fooling anyone though.