By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DOOM open beta discussion thread (pictures fixed)

So I had so many thoughts about the beta, I wrote up an article on it: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/264032/first-impressions-doom-open-beta/

Basically I like the speed and verticality, and the deep customization options. Don't like loadouts, hacks, character progression, or taunts. I like the demon but think it should have its own mode. And the weapons need some balancing.

Around the Network
Natsu said:
Vasto said:
I did not even finish playing 1 match before I uninstalled. Just not my type of game.

Ah dang that sucks. What type of games do you like?

Enjoying Halo 5's multiplayer atm. Other than that I really enjoyed Left 4 Dead. Doom reminds me of Quake 3 Arena which I use to love back in the day but not anymore. 

I had a go, was alright but not for me.

Hmm, pie.

Well, I've played several rounds and while I'm not super into the MP (it's fun, don't get me wrong, MP is a far distant secondary to SP for me w/ Doom though) I'm super excited to play the Single Player campaign with THAT gameplay. I see the levels and combat being far more vertical in nature, due to the double jump and the climbing mechanics. Graphics look good, customization while I could care less seems to be fairly deep. Not...super thrilled about spawning with all types of weapons. I rather miss spawning with a handgun and having to frantically run for a weapon pickup. I think some of the weapon balance needs to be tweaked. The Super Shotgun is absurd (as you'd expect), but I've hit people point blank with the rocket launcher on a number of occasions and they've survived. Maybe they had full armor, maybe not dunno. I don't think I've ever 1-shot anyone with a direct rocket hit though.

Definitely looking forward to the SP though.

Anyone know if I can posts gifs on VGC and how do I do it?
Heres a couple of my screenshots

Around the Network

Haha got it. I thought this was kinda cool, probs not that impressive but meh. 

FIT_Gamer said:
I've been in both the Alpha and closed Beta, enjoyed it both times. See a lot of bitching saying they "ruined DOOM" making it too casual. I personally think they put just the right amount of new in while keeping that old school arena shooter feel.

The only things about i wish were different are no health/armor pick and maybe eliminate load outs, make the weapons picks up on the map, at the very least the heavy weapons should be. Also they need to nerf the shotgun, which i'm sure they will, it's ridiculously OP. Otherwise i really like it.

they dont. i am playing with the heavy assault and rocket launcher, and i didnt like the shut gun much. yes, in close range it has an advantage, but just keep the distance when you find yourself going against someone with a shot gun and you will come out victories most of the times. 

also i dont get why people dont want load outs, i like having my own style of play, and having loud outs adds balance to the games, as everyone picks what gun they want. let pick ups be reserved for the heavy gun that kills with one shot, the demon, and other pick ups like pace and extra strength. 

Uabit said:
Natsu said:

Why is it mostly negative?

I haven't tried it but people is clearly disliking it. If you read reviews you can see Doom 4 is very "casualized" compared to previous ones. There are perks and even killstreaks just like in Call of duty. 

there are no kill streaks. and the perks are just timed, with little to no effect on the game.

if thats the steam user reviews, you should know it was bashed by fanboys before the open beta was even out. i swear gamers can be such whinny little bitches

It's boring and slow and no skill involved. Within minutes I was the top player every round. It feels nothing like a true arena shooter or even old school doom. Very generic with a doom-ish skin.

Was there any Free for all in the other beta's?