By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DOOM open beta discussion thread (pictures fixed)

Slimebeast said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I don't know if mindless is the right word. If anything old-school arena shooters have a much higher skill ceiling. It takes time and energy to learn the ins and outs of maps, the timing of weapon/item spawns, and how to use momentum to move around each arena.

As far as objectives go, the main goal is to be the best, to win. It might seem undemanding compared to the complex XP, leveling, and meta games of modern military shooters, but there's a refeshing simplicity to it - at least to me.

I don't need to unlock perks and weapons, and level up to feel engaged or motivated. I just need to have fun.

Yes, I know mindless is not the typical word to describe arena shooters since they demand the skill you described.

But from my personal perspective they're mindless since there's no goal, there's just a scoreboard. I need to be part of something, I need a higher purpose lol

I respect that. For example, the Faction War in Mortal Kombat X. You can score points for your "faction" by winning fights and performing combos. It made me feel like part of something bigger, which was pretty cool.

So I totally get where you're coming from.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Is that right?

Doom more or less invented deathmatch and now Doom 4 won't even offer it at launch?

I'm still excited for single player but, honestly, this mp feels like an afterthought. I get that people can make their own modes in snap map, but it would be great if Doom 4 shipped with something approximating what defines Doom in particular and arena shooters in general.

A friend told me that there wouldn't be a FFA mode at launch last night when I mentioned I can't wait to play FFA at launch. No mention of it over at bethesda.net just these 6 modes.

-Soul Harvest

-Freeze Tag

-Warpath

-Domination

-Team Deathmatch

-Clan Arena

Article: https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-multiplayer-modes-revealed/2016/03/21/92

No FFA? Bummer. :(

And yeah, Clan Arena will be popular though, since many gamers play COD on Search & Destroy mode a lot or heck, even Counter-Strike.

QUAKECore89 said:
WoodenPints said:

A friend told me that there wouldn't be a FFA mode at launch last night when I mentioned I can't wait to play FFA at launch. No mention of it over at bethesda.net just these 6 modes.

-Soul Harvest

-Freeze Tag

-Warpath

-Domination

-Team Deathmatch

-Clan Arena

Article: https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-multiplayer-modes-revealed/2016/03/21/92

And yeah, Clan Arena will be popular though, since many gamers play COD on Search & Destroy mode a lot or heck, even Counter-Strike.

What's freeze tag though..?

Natsu said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Freeze enemies & thaw(respawn) your team.

You just have to freeze them all quickly, otherwise they can bring back from frozen.

QUAKECore89 said:
Natsu said:

You just have to freeze them all quickly, otherwise they can bring back from frozen.

Sounds interesting, has it been in other games or not? I've never played doom online I've only played the single player (lol I played doom on gba)

Around the Network
Natsu said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Sounds interesting, has it been in other games or not? I've never played doom online I've only played the single player (lol I played doom on gba)

I think freeze tag did exist on some game long time ago... Maybe Unreal Tournament 2004 had freeze tag mode.

QUAKECore89 said:
Natsu said:

I think freeze tag did exist on some game long time ago... Maybe Unreal Tournament 2004 had freeze tag mode.

Oh.. Yeah I'm young I was four when UT2004 came out

Natsu said:
QUAKECore89 said:

This makes me feel ancient.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Natsu said:

This makes me feel ancient.

Well hans is more like..