By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DOOM open beta discussion thread (pictures fixed)

No FFA? :( Ah dangit..

Around the Network

I don't like the fact that it seems a little slower paced than how it used to be, because of the fact that everybody is starting out with the guns. I would like to see it how Quake, and Doom used to be when we had to find the guns, and you had to have faster, better movment skills than you need in the game now adays.

Jdog535 said:
I don't like the fact that it seems a little slower paced than how it used to be, because of the fact that everybody is starting out with the guns. I would like to see it how Quake, and Doom used to be when we had to find the guns, and you had to have faster, better movment skills than you need in the game now adays.

Or smaller maps maybe would fix the slower paced part of it

Natsu said:
Jdog535 said:

I found the size okay, I juset found some of the revious elements missing from the game that I rather enjoyed, but I can agree, smaller maps would help affect the speed, adn play style of the game.

Jdog535 said:
Natsu said:

I found the size okay, I juset found some of the revious elements missing from the game that I rather enjoyed, but I can agree, smaller maps would help affect the speed, adn play style of the game.

I'll wait to see if how the maps are at release, I really wish they would have a classic playlist with slayer (deatmatch whatever:P) and objective toypes without loadouts but weapon pick ups

Around the Network

Yeah, I would love it if they ended up doing that.

Jdog535 said:
Yeah, I would love it if they ended up doing that.

Like I'm not 100% sure if I'm getting doom yet but if they add that it will make a day one more likely. I will pick it up at some point no matter what

Just as mindless as old-school Doom/Quake/UNreal rournanent multiplayer.

No objectives, no bigger picture, no motivation.

Slimebeast said:

I don't know if mindless is the right word. If anything old-school arena shooters have a much higher skill ceiling. It takes time and energy to learn the ins and outs of maps, the timing of weapon/item spawns, and how to use momentum to move around each arena.

As far as objectives go, the main goal is to be the best, to win. It might seem undemanding compared to the complex XP, leveling, and meta games of modern military shooters, but there's a refeshing simplicity to it - at least to me.

I don't need to unlock perks and weapons, and level up to feel engaged or motivated. I just need to have fun.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Slimebeast said:

I don't know if mindless is the right word. If anything old-school arena shooters have a much higher skill ceiling. It takes time and energy to learn the ins and outs of maps, the timing of weapon/item spawns, and how to use momentum to move around each arena.

As far as objectives go, the main goal is to be the best, to win. It might seem undemanding compared to the complex XP, leveling, and meta games of modern military shooters, but there's a refeshing simplicity to it - at least to me.

I don't need to unlock perks and weapons, and level up to feel engaged or motivated. I just need to have fun.

Yes, I know mindless is not the typical word to describe arena shooters since they demand the skill you described.

But from my personal perspective they're mindless since there's no goal, there's just a scoreboard. I need to be part of something, I need a higher purpose lol