By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Verified NeoGAF member has posted a bunch of NX leaks. Now updated with gimmicks, Luigi's Mansion and other stuff

Soundwave said:

I'm sure it will be relatively managable to port Wii U games, but direct hardware BC I would doubt it. PowerPC is old as balls and I don't think IBM is willing to update for Nintendo or put it on a modern manufacturing process without it all being a massive pain in the ass for Nintendo.

There's only like 10-12 games on the Wii U that absolutely must be ported anyway, which is probably simple enough. At these specs NX should be able to emulate any other previous Nintendo console so that's not an issue for legacy games pre-Wii U. 

Besides Nintendo (like anyone else) makes good money on re-releases, they don't make money on backwards compatibility. Getting people to re-buy old games at full retail is simply better for Nintendo even if it makes a few people on message boards squirm. 

BC saves Nintendo the time and money it takes to actually port these games, while allowing them to still make money on them. BC is the smarter business decision. It allows them to keep making money on hundreds of old games without having to port a single one from day one, and it means that they can keep adding to the VC rather than needing to start from scratch once again. It's not even comparable.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

I'm sure it will be relatively managable to port Wii U games, but direct hardware BC I would doubt it. PowerPC is old as balls and I don't think IBM is willing to update for Nintendo or put it on a modern manufacturing process without it all being a massive pain in the ass for Nintendo.

There's only like 10-12 games on the Wii U that absolutely must be ported anyway, which is probably simple enough. At these specs NX should be able to emulate any other previous Nintendo console so that's not an issue for legacy games pre-Wii U. 

Besides Nintendo (like anyone else) makes good money on re-releases, they don't make money on backwards compatibility. Getting people to re-buy old games at full retail is simply better for Nintendo even if it makes a few people on message boards squirm. 

BC saves Nintendo the time and money it takes to actually port these games, while allowing them to still make money on them. BC is the smarter business decision. It allows them to keep making money on hundreds of old games without having to port a single one from day one, and it means that they can keep adding to the VC rather than needing to start from scratch once again. It's not even comparable.

I don't think the cost of porting like 10-15 games is all that huge and the ports pay for themselves when people have to buy them again (or for the first time). Ubi Soft ported Zombi U to PS4/XB1 with zero fuss and that's a game that has limited/no market. Sony and MS themselves will probably end up porting 7-12 different 360 or PS3 projects to PS4 and XB1 it's kinda par for the course now. 

You make a deal with IBM for PowerPC that's something you're eating for the next 5-6-10 years. 

Nintendo needs to get their manufacturing act together in general, they've made a lot of stupid decisions with hardware choices/vendors that have probably fucked them more than the "average game enthusiast" knows. Right now I think they're being absolutely screwed on the Wii U's eDRAM for example, only one factory on the planet can make it and it's now owned by Sony. 

This is probably why Nintendo has been unable to drop the price on the Wii U significantly ... the vendor suppliers are not willing to help them out because from their POV why should they eat a loss on a component on a platform that isn't going anywhere. 

That's what happens when you use ancient/weird/out of order components in your hardware. The NX from what is described should be able to emulate every from the NES-Wii, the Wii U has like 12-13 games really worth remembering and a non-existent third party catalog. 

Truth be told I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo takes a page from the Netflix/Playstation Live book and simply just offers VC games ala carte on a monthly subscription service. 

Nintendo hates bottlenecks? Wii U CPU says hello.

Tagging.

Gonna read it later when I have time.

Soundwave said:

I don't think the cost of porting like 10-15 games is all that huge and the ports pay for themselves when people have to buy them again (or for the first time). Ubi Soft ported Zombi U to PS4/XB1 with zero fuss and that's a game that has limited/no market. Sony and MS themselves will probably end up porting 7-12 different 360 or PS3 projects to PS4 and XB1 it's kinda par for the course now. 

You make a deal with IBM for PowerPC that's something you're eating for the next 5-6-10 years. 

Nintendo needs to get their manufacturing act together in general, they've made a lot of stupid decisions with hardware choices/vendors that have probably fucked them more than the "average game enthusiast" knows. Right now I think they're being absolutely screwed on the Wii U's eDRAM for example, only one factory on the planet can make it and it's now owned by Sony. 

This is probably why Nintendo has been unable to drop the price on the Wii U significantly ... the vendor suppliers are not willing to help them out because from their POV why should they eat a loss on a component on a platform that isn't going anywhere. 

That's what happens when you use ancient/weird/out of order components in your hardware. The NX from what is described should be able to emulate every from the NES-Wii, the Wii U has like 12-13 games really worth remembering and a non-existent third party catalog. 

Truth be told I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo takes a page from the Netflix/Playstation Live book and simply just offers VC games ala carte on a monthly subscription service. 

It's not just 15 games. It's also every single VC game that they'd need to port again, including from the Wii. That's over a hundred games. They're going with BC. All of the benefits of remasters, with none of the cost or waste of time and resources. No subscription, either. Goes completely against My Nintendo. Not happening. They want you buying their software.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
HoloDust said:
Hm, wondering what that "noticeable amount" is...15-30% is not really that much, but if that's what they're going for, then I guess NX GPU might be very similar to PS4's, just without 2CUs disabled and with somewhat higher clock.

Nintendo usually leans towards GPU-heavy designs, so if the CPU is 15-30% better, the GPU could be in the range of 30-40% higher than the PS4. Someone on NeoGaf was talking in the 2.5 TFLOP range.

Which is a lot of power for a Nintendo machine but on the other hand it's nothing terribly special for late 2016. 

Nintendo is probably aiming for something that can give them 1080p + 60 fps without too much hassle, 2.5 TFLOPS ought to do it. 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was describing - 7870 (Pitcairn XT) with all CUs running at 1000MHz is 2.5TFLOPS...though, given the number of ACEs, PS4 looks more like Hawaii Pro (R9 290) cut in half, then 2CUs disabled, but more or less similar thing...anyway, my guess is, if Nintendo haven't decided to go berserk and get the latest from AMD, NX tech could be very similar to PS4s, just with full GPU, maybe newer CPU part and higher clocks.

I wouldn't be happy if it's only a 2.5 Teraflop Radeon GPU.
Would much rather something closer to 4 Teraflop GCN 1.2 GPU.

Polaris is only months away... And 14/16nm fabrication would be quick to transition to, making a big GPU feasible... Am I hoping to much as a PC gamer?
With a bigger GPU they wouldn't need to release a successor for a longer time with some luck.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Polaris is only months away... And 14/16nm fabrication would be quick to transition to, making a big GPU feasible... Am I hoping to much as a PC gamer?
With a bigger GPU they wouldn't need to release a successor for a longer time with some luck.

It is Nintendo though lets be honest even 1.8 TFLOPS would probably be more than enough for virtually any game they make, the new Zelda is 300 GFLOPS or so and looks absolutely gorgeous with an enormous scale. 

2.5 TFLOPS would be fine, but they need to understand they are launching very late here and they likely are going to have to deal with things like the PS4K, PS5, and XB2 maybe sooner than they think. 

So upgradable hardware I think would be well suited for them, maybe in 2-3 years have a 14nm version at a higher spec and allow older models to be upgraded. 

Pemalite said:

You are expecting too much, we won't have the benefit of cheaper transistors ... 

This all sound realistic.