By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Verified NeoGAF member has posted a bunch of NX leaks. Now updated with gimmicks, Luigi's Mansion and other stuff

You know these things can't be true when they read like a fan wet dream.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Intrinsic said:
so basically this is saying that Nintendo is going to come to market and have the most expensive console. Or sell their console at a loss to match PS4 prices?

NINTENDO?????!!!!!!!

Not really 15-30% better than a PS4 is nothing mind blowing for 2016. It will probably be $299-$350. 

either way its not that simple. 

15-30% better can mean so much. Easiest implementation of that is just a CPU up clock to say 2GHz. But if they are looking at a more powerful GPU then they will also need RAM just as much and as fast as a PS4 or not all those upgrades will mean nothing. It's not even about the price, it's the whole package. 

Right now it's pretty certain that each PS4 probably cost Sony less than $300 to make. if Nintendo is coming in at $349-$399.... absolutely nothing will stop Sony from just dropping the price of the PS4 to $199. They did that with the PS2, and when they did it they hadn't even attained the kinda Install base they have now with the PS4 and that was at a time when there weren't multiple revenue streams besides direct game sales. Bow they have games, PS+, PSvue and an install base of probably over 40M. 

All those factors affords Sony the luxury of slashing the PS4 to as low as $199 of need be. How exactly is Nintendo going to compete with that of their box is almost twice as expensive for 30% more power? And how much better is 30% more power going to even be than the PS4 when the PS4s 50% more power over the XB1 isn't even that distinguishable unless you're a pixel counter. 

Anyways, guess we'll see how it all plays out. But I can bet my last dollar that a $199 PS4 is right around the corner. Simply by taking into consideration all the advances made in manufacturing tech. 

I know Nintendo has to bring their A game now, cause they simply can't afford back to back failures, but doing so required that Nintendo adopts a syratgey that they have NEVER used. So we will see. 

Nem said:

Are you kidding me? this is the same crap rumors we ve been hearing for along time, hes just repeating others.

NX faster than PS4, cpu wise by 15-30% (could be x86),  smash, zelda u, MM, splatoon ports = wet dream? >_<' wtf? low standards.

tagging

Nem said:

I don't see anything that is not realistic in this whole rumour.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Wasn't it also a verified NeoGAF user who "confirmed" the fake NX controller as the real deal just a few weeks ago?

No.

Pemalite said:
I wouldn't be happy if it's only a 2.5 Teraflop Radeon GPU.
Would much rather something closer to 4 Teraflop GCN 1.2 GPU.

Polaris is only months away... And 14/16nm fabrication would be quick to transition to, making a big GPU feasible... Am I hoping to much as a PC gamer?
With a bigger GPU they wouldn't need to release a successor for a longer time with some luck.

Yeah, I'm not sure what is the goal of 2.5TFLOPS console mid-cycle, unless thier is some gimmick attached to it - 4TFLOPS in NX would really make them competitive (hardware-wise) for (alleged) mid-gen race, if PS4K 2xGPU rumour is true...perhaps, even more so if rumour is not true.

JEMC said:
HoloDust said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was describing - 7870 (Pitcairn XT) with all CUs running at 1000MHz is 2.5TFLOPS...though, given the number of ACEs, PS4 looks more like Hawaii Pro (R9 290) cut in half, then 2CUs disabled, but more or less similar thing...anyway, my guess is, if Nintendo haven't decided to go berserk and get the latest from AMD, NX tech could be very similar to PS4s, just with full GPU, maybe newer CPU part and higher clocks.

The max I can see Nintendo going is with a Tonga/Antigua chip.

Not only is the chip more power efficient than previous AMD designs, but thanks to being GCN 1.2 it features the newer color compression tech and, while it's not used in the consumer cards, retains the 384-bit memory controller of Tahiti, so Nintendo could go with DDR4 memory and still have an acceptable bandwidth.

But unless Nintendo has really changed back to the old N64/GameCube days, I doubt they'll go as far.

I don't think they would go with Tonga if they decided to go that high (Tongas/Antiguas are 3-4TFLOPS) - even mobile versions of those chips have pretty high TDP (125W).

My guess is they would need 14nm if they're jumping into that range, and that's brand new tech and they are Nintendo...maybe something changed in their strategy, but I'm not holding my breath.

HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

The max I can see Nintendo going is with a Tonga/Antigua chip.

Not only is the chip more power efficient than previous AMD designs, but thanks to being GCN 1.2 it features the newer color compression tech and, while it's not used in the consumer cards, retains the 384-bit memory controller of Tahiti, so Nintendo could go with DDR4 memory and still have an acceptable bandwidth.

But unless Nintendo has really changed back to the old N64/GameCube days, I doubt they'll go as far.

I don't think they would go with Tonga if they decided to go that high (Tongas/Antiguas are 3-4TFLOPS) - even mobile versions of those chips have pretty high TDP (125W).

My guess is they would need 14nm if they're jumping into that range, and that's brand new tech and they are Nintendo...maybe something changed in their strategy, but I'm not holding my breath.

That 125W figure isn't completely reliable. Looking at the specs of those parts at wikipedia, the M390X, M395 and M395X all have a 125W TDP, but their specs and frequencies are different. I'm sure the M395 running at 700 MHz would be around 100W or *maybe* even less. After all, when used in a console those parts usually run slower, also reducing the power consumption.

Not that I think Nintendo will use it, tho. It's just what I think is the max of what we can expect from them.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
HoloDust said:

That 125W figure isn't completely reliable. Looking at the specs of those parts at wikipedia, the M390X, M395 and M395X all have a 125W TDP, but their specs and frequencies are different. I'm sure the M395 running at 700 MHz would be around 100W or *maybe* even less. After all, when used in a console those parts usually run slower, also reducing the power consumption.

Not that I think Nintendo will use it, tho. It's just what I think is the max of what we can expect from them.

Maybe...but compare that to 75W of 7970m (downclocked mobile 7870), what was speculated as PS4's GPU back in days, and what more or less ended up being true, and those 125W sound quite a lot, especially given it's conservative Nintendo.

Honestly, before PS4 launched, I thought, given how high TDP original PS3 and X360 had, that 8th gen consoles will go for similar TDPs, yet they are all significantly lower, so I'm sceptical now about anyone going in this proposed mid-cycle showdown for 2x-3x performance on 28nm...but hey, maybe AMD is going to make some serious money if all 3 are jumping into 14nm.

So NX just over 2 tflops, that's a lot of power for Nintendo. It should last them 5-6 years until they can put out a real 4k system. The SCDs could come in about 2019, maybe during the first couple yrs of PS5 when internet improves all around.

Still wonder what upgrades Smash can get if its already 1080/60 from an at best 352 (176?) gflop machine. XCX would greatly benefit from the boost. Not sure if they'd give Star Fox the attention it deserves, but I won't buy it unless its remastered properly to make it look like a modern game. I think Splatoon should be left alone, I put in so many hrs I'm ashamed to say lol. But Smash, Mario maker, maybe XCX and 2016 cross gen titles like Zelda are all understandable.