By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Verified NeoGAF member has posted a bunch of NX leaks. Now updated with gimmicks, Luigi's Mansion and other stuff

HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

That 125W figure isn't completely reliable. Looking at the specs of those parts at wikipedia, the M390X, M395 and M395X all have a 125W TDP, but their specs and frequencies are different. I'm sure the M395 running at 700 MHz would be around 100W or *maybe* even less. After all, when used in a console those parts usually run slower, also reducing the power consumption.

Not that I think Nintendo will use it, tho. It's just what I think is the max of what we can expect from them.

Maybe...but compare that to 75W of 7970m (downclocked mobile 7870), what was speculated as PS4's GPU back in days, and what more or less ended up being true, and those 125W sound quite a lot, especially given it's conservative Nintendo.

Honestly, before PS4 launched, I thought, given how high TDP original PS3 and X360 had, that 8th gen consoles will go for similar TDPs, yet they are all significantly lower, so I'm sceptical now about anyone going in this proposed mid-cycle showdown for 2x-3x performance on 28nm...but hey, maybe AMD is going to make some serious money if all 3 are jumping into 14nm.

Yes, it's a lot of heat for a company that likes to make everything small and efficient.

But hey, if they had to do it, this is the best time to do it. The competition went safe and left open this door for Nintendo. Will they cross it? I really doubt it, but the option is there.

Oh, and I doubt anyone will jump to 14nm, at least this year. AMD has gone with GloFo and Samsung for their 14nm GPUs, how can they take care of the consoles too? They won't until next year with better yields and higher volume production. No, NX will be 28nm... but if it launches mid-to-late next year, PS4K may be 14nm.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

lol love they "noticeably more powerful than the PS4... by 15%" part and people can't notice the 50% power difference between the PS4 and xbone!

And just LOL at "verified neogaf user" part that means nothing. You can work at GameStop and be "verified". and the "I've never leaked anything before but know everything" part is just too hilarious!

Some people desperately need NX to be more powerful than the PS4 for some reason. In the end it won't matter because the NX won't get major thrid party support.

elektranine said:
lol love they "noticeably more powerful than the PS4... by 15%" part and people can't notice the 50% power difference between the PS4 and xbone!

And just LOL at "verified neogaf user" part that means nothing. You can work at GameStop and be "verified". and the "I've never leaked anything before but know everything" part is just too hilarious!

Some people desperately need NX to be more powerful than the PS4 for some reason. In the end it won't matter because the NX won't get major thrid party support.

calm down Nintendo doesn't get points coming in barely more powerful, but its necessary to accomodate 3rd party titles (less work for less important platform).  Also it was said 15-30, so if its 30 then the console would be 2.3 tflops vs 1.84 ps4 vs. 1.3 xb1.  Anyways, its no big  deal if Nintendo offers modern tech to play catchup,  its more a relief than a bragging point.  The true reveal is the "hook" of the system,  which I'm glad hasn't leaked yet.

JEMC said:
HoloDust said:

Maybe...but compare that to 75W of 7970m (downclocked mobile 7870), what was speculated as PS4's GPU back in days, and what more or less ended up being true, and those 125W sound quite a lot, especially given it's conservative Nintendo.

Honestly, before PS4 launched, I thought, given how high TDP original PS3 and X360 had, that 8th gen consoles will go for similar TDPs, yet they are all significantly lower, so I'm sceptical now about anyone going in this proposed mid-cycle showdown for 2x-3x performance on 28nm...but hey, maybe AMD is going to make some serious money if all 3 are jumping into 14nm.

Yes, it's a lot of heat for a company that likes to make everything small and efficient.

But hey, if they had to do it, this is the best time to do it. The competition went safe and left open this door for Nintendo. Will they cross it? I really doubt it, but the option is there.

Oh, and I doubt anyone will jump to 14nm, at least this year. AMD has gone with GloFo and Samsung for their 14nm GPUs, how can they take care of the consoles too? They won't until next year with better yields and higher volume production. No, NX will be 28nm... but if it launches mid-to-late next year, PS4K may be 14nm.

Yeah, I expect NX to be on 28nm as well, that's why 7870 level config (1280:80:32) is probably best we can expect (or some GCN 1.2 equivalent)...14nm would be too expensive for their business strategy.

As for PS4K - I'm not sure if it would make any sense to launch it next year with just 2x GPU on 14nm - I would expect more like 3-4x, so they can do it again after 3-4 years again on 7nm and have PS5...but either way, fun times ahead for hardware aficionados.

People talking shit about PPC again really show they know nothing about architectures.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

Yeah, I expect NX to be on 28nm as well, that's why 7870 level config (1280:80:32) is probably best we can expect (or some GCN 1.2 equivalent)...14nm would be too expensive for their business strategy.

As for PS4K - I'm not sure if it would make any sense to launch it next year with just 2x GPU on 14nm - I would expect more like 3-4x, so they can do it again after 3-4 years again on 7nm and have PS5...but either way, fun times ahead for hardware aficionados.

I don't expect PS4K to be the device that some are expecting.

I think it will be just a PS4 Slim with the APU produced with the new 14nm process and with upgraded components to support for 4K media like Blu Rays and 4K streaming. It can also bring a small speed bump to the CPU and GPU, like they did in the past with the PSP, but I don't think Sony is fool enough to alienate the current PS4 userbase with a new and more powerful console.

And you're very optimistic with the 7nm process. I know that Intel and TSMC use different nomenclatures for their processes, but with Intel is struggling with 10nm and given TSMC's past experiences, I think 14/16 and 10nm will stay with us for a while.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

2.5 TFLOPS is a monstrous amount of power. Honestly for Nintendo's games that may more than enough for another 10 years like I said. You're going to have Nintendo games look pretty damn close to some of the CGI renders they've used in the past given the art style they like to use. You could probably have a Mario Kart game with character models close to this:

Their games will look gorgeous on that tech, and it kinda ensures a good number of third party ports since devs probably are going to have to make games for the XB1 spec (1.2 TFLOP) for the next 3-4 years minimum let alone PS4 probably.

The important thing is Nintendo make the NX an expandable/upgradable system like that supplemental add-on patent hinted at.

They can always release a 4K 14nm model in 2018 and give early adopters a way to upgrade if they want, that would be the smartest way to do it IMO.

Soundwave said:

[...]

Their games will look gorgeous on that tech, and it kinda ensures a good number of third party ports since devs probably are going to have to make games for the XB1 spec (1.2 TFLOP) for the next 3-4 years minimum let alone PS4 probably.

The important thing is Nintendo make the NX an expandable/upgradable system like that supplemental add-on patent hinted at.

They can always release a 4K 14nm model in 2018 and give early adopters a way to upgrade if they want, that would be the smartest way to do it IMO.

@bold:  That SCD's potential could very well be what sets Nintendo apart for the coming years.

JEMC said:
HoloDust said:

I don't expect PS4K to be the device that some are expecting.

I think it will be just a PS4 Slim with the APU produced with the new 14nm process and with upgraded components to support for 4K media like Blu Rays and 4K streaming. It can also bring a small speed bump to the CPU and GPU, like they did in the past with the PSP, but I don't think Sony is fool enough to alienate the current PS4 userbase with a new and more powerful console.

And you're very optimistic with the 7nm process. I know that Intel and TSMC use different nomenclatures for their processes, but with Intel is struggling with 10nm and given TSMC's past experiences, I think 14/16 and 10nm will stay with us for a while.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect from PS4K anymore, given "confirmed" rumours about stronger GPU - from consumer POI, I see no problem, I don't think there would be any alienation of PS user base, given that PS4 would still be main platform until PS5 launches, but on the other hand I don't quite understand why would Sony need such product.

As for 7nm - I don't know, sure TSCM is Peter Molyneux of semi-conductor industry, overpromising and underdelivering, latest one from them is 7nm in 2017. But even if they are way off, I would expect 7nm node in 2020 at the latest to be mature and cheap enough for 9th gen...I mean, AMD is another player that overpromises, but Navi is scheduled for 2018, even if they are 2 years late, that should do it.

JRPGfan said:
Nem said:
You know these things can't be true when they read like a fan wet dream.

Are you kidding me? this is the same crap rumors we ve been hearing for along time, hes just repeating others.

NX faster than PS4, cpu wise by 15-30% (could be x86),  smash, zelda u, MM, splatoon ports = wet dream? >_<' wtf? low standards.

Not to worry my statement extends to all rumors.