By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Your hobbies outside of games? VGChartz Show and Tell.

I...

Only play games!!! 18 17.31%

I dabble in other art forms/hobbies. 32 30.77%

I do more outside of gaming, than gaming, 44 42.31%

Game and VGChartz...what else is there? 10 9.62%

Total:104

Playing piano is my other major hobby. I'm not a pro by any means. It is just something my family and I enjoy a lot.

Exercising has been a big part of my life lately. I lost more than 20 Kgs of my weight during the last year, still 30 to go. I enjoy rope skipping in particular. It feels like flying 

Occasionally reading some novels or watching movies. I also enjoy listening to music. Video games soundtracks most of the time.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
avrwc2 said:

Used to be Amazon's #1 reviewer - not bad given that some 20-30,000,000 people post reviews there.

Been a 'top 10 reviewer' for 7-8 years, currently at #16.

They should pay you for that, no?

No, they shouldn't.

First, it's a hobby, not a job. Second, my reviews are not meant to 'sell' things to people but to help them better decide for themselves, as in making better informed decisions.

You are ranked high at Amazon not for 'selling' things but because those who read your reviews vote them 'helpful'. Yes, there are companies who try to 'buy' reviews and otfits that 'sell' them and, believe it or not, there are reviewers who try to buy 'helpful' votes and outfits that sell votes. Amazon is cracking down on all of the above the best they can but it's a never-ending struggle.

John2290 said:
VXIII said:

Playing piano is my other major hobby. I'm not a pro by any means. It is just something my family and I enjoy a lot.

Exercising has been a big part of my life lately. I lost more than 20 Kgs of my weight during the last year, still 30 to go. I enjoy rope skipping in particular. I feels like flying 

Occasionally reading some novels or watching movies. I also enjoy listening to music. Video games soundtracks most of the time.

Gratz on the weight loss. 50kg total? I used to weigh less than this when I was addicted to opiates and shit so I can just imagine that 20kg, thats a lot of weight.Gratz.

Thank you. My weight used to be 132 Kgs. Enough is enough, right? I'm at 110 now. The road is still long but I'm actually enjoying the process a lot. Wish me luck

Other than gaming...watching TV and reading manga mostly. I also have two orange cats...but they're basically dogs with how much attention they need.

Past that, work, grad school, and routine exercise keep me busy. And moderating of course ;)

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Machina said:
VXIII said:

Exercising has been a big part of my life lately. I lost more than 20 Kgs of my weight during the last year, still 30 to go. I enjoy rope skipping in particular. It feels like flying 

Gz on getting healthy man. I would love to be able to play the piano (and the violin).

Thank you. As for me, I would like to get a chance to feed wild birds like you do, that is something I would definitely enjoy ^^

Around the Network

I read a lot and I blog. I also like watching movies and listening to music.

I enjoy writing and making crafts, but both of those are more than a hobby.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

I actually think gaming is third in my prefferences, I also
- Have a band 

- Like drawing and uploading to deviant art

I also have a blog in which I write a lot of shit to drop stress and make people laugh

Alright, since this thread is called "Show and Tell", I'll actually show something while I tell.

I'll talk about my main hobby, because the drawing has been low key for years now. And "main", because this has also surpassed gaming. Sorry VGC, blame the modern day industry I guess.

Even though I am not really the sporty type, and I loathed gymnastics at school, I have actually since five years now been very active in walking. I'm not talking about a casual stroll through the mall, but real walking. Marching, if you will. This is a lot of fun, satisfying and actually one of the most healthy type of excersize you could do, though that last part certainly doesn't need to be my motivation.

This is actually quite a big thing in the Netherlands. Though usually more popular with middle-aged to older people, there are hundreds of clubs to join who all organise their own series of walking events. I'm an individual walker though, and go wherever I please. Walking events range from small single day events to large scale multi-day extravaganzas. From 5km to 160km, or more divided into multiple stages. Some only draw a hundred people, others tens of thousands.

A walk could look like this one, out in the open, across fields and through forests, with just a host of participants:

Or like this one, heavily populated, complete with crowds cheering on the walkers and musical bands helping to lift spirits, in elaborately decorated urban areas:

No, I'm not in either of these pictures.

The tradition is to get a reward at the end of such a walk, most organized events hand these out. Usually, the reward is a medal, but othertimes you would get a diploma or even a cupcake! Obviously, I ate the cupcakes so I can't show them, and the diplomas have my name on them so no need for them to be on the internet either, but the medals I can show:

This is the result of the last five years, and they've just got added to last sunday (the one on the bottom row with the green/yellow ribbon and the '5' on it). However, in the first two years, I wasn't really into the organised walks yet, and mostly did my own rounds. Some of these medals have badges on their ribbons signifying the number of times I participed.

Some of these are something to be proud of though, especially the three to the lower left of the picture, the crosses with the letters 'KNBLO' on the arms. Those are for the yearly Nijmegen Marches. A four-day event, and the biggest walking event in the world by number of participants, usually 46,000 but 50,000 people this year from all over the world. It depends on age and gender, but I have to walk 50km per day for four days straight there. 55km this year. I completed it five times now, the silver one being the newest. These medals are also real Royal decorations, and because it started as a test for military back in 1909, military is allowed to wear the march's insignias on their uniforms when completed. There's actually two sporting events in the Netherlands that grant this honor; the other being the "Elfstedentocht", a 200km single-day ice skating event in the province of Friesland only held when the winter is harsh enough for thick ice (the last time was 1997).

Another to be proud of is the one right next to them on the bottom row, with the three circles (it's the number '80') on it. This one and the one above it is for a so-called "Kennedy-march". Named after the American president because of his quote that US infantry should be able to walk 50 miles in 20 hours. Thus, there's walking events where you will walk for 80km in a maximum of 20 hours. This is, needless to say, very exhausting. 82 kilometers is my record for now, but I'm planning a 110km march this year.

Walking on the whole often gets underestimated. The longer distances, I'd say over 25-30km really do need practise, and people will find their limits if attempted on the fly. I've seen people with blisters on their feet literally the size of tennis-balls. But I won't pat myself on the back just yet because I'm neither the fastest nor the someone with the most experience. In total I've walked about 3300km, counting only the "real"walks (the organised ones and the ones I particularly go out to do, I have my criteria, so not the walks to get groceries or something), which I register in an elaborate spreadsheet which also automatically calculates me some stats and records. Luckily I started with this when I started walking so I'm not missing much. There are people however who have been doing this for decades, have walked tens-upon-tens-of-thousands of kilometers and competed over 150 Kennedy's. The record holder for Nijmegen has completed it 68 times (out of 99, this year is the 100th)!

Anyway, like I said, I used to go out myself to walk before I started really getting into the organised ones. The simple bronze Nijmegen medal was actually my first one, because I had only trained by myself that year. Every subsequent year though, I've been walking more and more, and become more and more serious about it. When I look around at some of the bigger events, and see older people still walking these marches, I realize that this is the key to remain healthy and mobile at an advanced age. I hope to continue for a long time!

I would say comics but I've stopped reading those recently other than trades of 'SAGA'.

Climb a bit, play squash a little. Gaming is my main goto activity at the moment however.

Hmm, pie.

Sailing; last year I was given the privilege of leading a crew of eight from Puerto Rico to Morocco--relying solely on 16th century navigation equipment and modern maps.  This summer I'll be going on a solo voyage from the Southern coast of Brazil to Cuba; if that goes well I hope to talk my folks into letting me do a solo circuit to India.  

Apart from that, I do a lot of fishing and have started scuba diving.  I've learned of a few wrecks that I'd love to look closely at.