By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers rumor: Zelda U to have a playable female, fully voice acted, releasing NX and Wii U

zorg1000 said:

the highlighted quote said many developers, that statement isnt targeting Nintendo specifically, it is speaking of the overall market at the time.

the statement is that many developers were afraid so he points out 1 out of hundreds of games from the time period that had a female lead, like that one game disproves that many people felt a certain way?

also the people behind Metroid & Zelda are different people. Miyamoto/Tezuka may have feared a female would impact sales, that doesnt mean that Yokoi/Sakamoto felt the same way.

Except the highlighted post was using those examples in context to Nintendo and why the possibly hasn't been a female Link, in that regard his point is solid in that the company would not have been that much concerned about a female lead as they had introduced one of the most significant female characters already.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
zorg1000 said:

the highlighted quote said many developers, that statement isnt targeting Nintendo specifically, it is speaking of the overall market at the time.

the statement is that many developers were afraid so he points out 1 out of hundreds of games from the time period that had a female lead, like that one game disproves that many people felt a certain way?

also the people behind Metroid & Zelda are different people. Miyamoto/Tezuka may have feared a female would impact sales, that doesnt mean that Yokoi/Sakamoto felt the same way.

Except the highlighted post was using those examples in context to Nintendo and why the possibly hasn't been a female Link, in that regard his point is solid in that the company would not have been that much concerned about a female lead as they had introduced one of the most significant female characters already.

and like i said, the lead developers of Metroid & Zelda are different people

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

and like i said, the lead developers of Metroid & Zelda are different people

Yet the teams in the company work closely together, Miyamoto helped direct and over see Prime for a start and Metroid's co-founders did the Mario Land games, the company as whole had no problem with female leads that's something that can't be argued.

Been away for nine days, sees the same debate still going on, in another thread. Nice, feels like I never left. Anyway I guess I don't need to tell anyone that I wouldn't mind this rumour to be false; ignoring the obvious NX thing, the two subjects mentioned should definitely not have been a priority when making Zelda U if true.

Volterra_90 said:
Maybe the genderswap is part of the gaming mechanic? Not a choice at the beginning. I mean, we have a clear example of similar genderswapping in a Zelda game before (OoT).

Hope this is the case.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

Hope this is the case.

I like this idea more because of the possibility of changing some gameplay mechanics with this gender-swaping. I don't mind a female Link for a choice, but I like this more.

S.Peelman said:
Been away for nine days, sees the same debate still going on, in another thread. Nice, feels like I never left. Anyway I guess I don't need to tell anyone that I wouldn't mind this rumour to be false; ignoring the obvious NX thing, the two subjects mentioned should definitely not have been a priority when making Zelda U if true.

They don't have to be a priority or anything. Just a small Anouma touch to give the game more flavour!

I have no problem with female Link, if they decide to go that route, but I hope she plays somewhat differently.

I'm going to wait until official confirmation from Nintendo but oh boy will I be pissed if the female link rumor is true. Link is an iconic character after 30 facking years, just like Mario, Sonic or Pacman.
Are we going to ask for a female mario and a female sonic now?

Why can't we play as Zelda instead? It would be so much better than playing as a female link, as she already has a story and is also iconic and important in the story.

I just hope next time we get info is from Nintendo themselves because I kinda hate big rumors, as they ruin the surprise for me.

Volterra_90 said:

I like this idea more because of the possibility of changing some gameplay mechanics with this gender-swaping. I don't mind a female Link for a choice, but I like this more.

I don't think it'll happen though, but I think it would be a REALLY cool mechanic.

The reason I don't think it's happening is because I'm 100% sure there wasn't originally going to be a gender choice at the beginning. I think that the additional genger is solely based on the misinterpretation that Link was a girl in the trailer because he has a ponytail and ponytails are obviously exclusive to girls. I think they just added the option because people wanted it and it would take no effort to implement, regardless of being respectful to the lore of the franchise.

Doing this Ranma 1/2 thing would be the exact opposite though, because that's the type of thing you need to have planned from the get go. Unless the delay was caused by this change, they'd need to change the entire game to implement something this big and that's just something I don't see being feasable. But it would also be awesome, because it would show that they actually do care about and respect the universe they've built and its canon.

As for speculation on something that's never going to happen, it would be really cool if they did what OoT did. Like each form could only access half of their abilities. Only, instead of OoT where one form was obviously inverferior and restricted to one world, the gender swap should be able to be switched freely, more like the wolf transformation in TP, only not total ass. It would be cool if Link could only use his magic abilities in as a female, but the arcenal of spells and hexs matched that of male Link's. Obviously this would mean that he couldn't use the normal weapons as a girl for balance, though I'd imagine that some weapons would be accessible on both like the bow.

Also, it's interesting that Skeik was Zelda's gender swap. Skeik. A hylian who transformed into a male sheikah. And Link has a Sheikah book. See where I'm going with this? What if the book is what he uses to transform? Why am I entertaining this? It's not gonna happen.