By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers rumor: Zelda U to have a playable female, fully voice acted, releasing NX and Wii U

Maybe the genderswap is part of the gaming mechanic? Not a choice at the beginning. I mean, we have a clear example of similar genderswapping in a Zelda game before (OoT).

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Nautilus said:

Just checked it now, and my god thats true.Didnt play MGS V yet, so thats why I didnt know.But its not a similar case as in she is unlockage after you do certain conditions.So you need to play as normal Snake until you can unlock it.You dont start with that option.It would be an extra.Subtle difference, but still different.

Like I said to Volterra, story-wise it is possible to make Link into a female caracther.But Link has always been historically a male.For almost 30 years.Why make this change without a very good reason?It would be better, story-wise and to make fans happy, just to make a new female protagonist if thats the case(if they wanted to go with a female protagonist).

Another example would be(dont know if you are a fan of Metroid) if that false rumour about Samus was true(about she being transgender).I mean, we never looked down there.And they could very well create a past for her that would justify that.They could do that but you know, it wouldnt be that popular.

Maybe there is a good reason. Because 30 years of doing it one way doesn't neccesarily mean they always did what they wanted.
When it comes to female protagonists in games, that was something developers were genuinely afraid of back in the day. Because the vast majority of gamers were male back then, and they were afraid of losing sales simply because the protagiopnist was female. Even today there is that concern, but to a smaller degree, and this is something they actually have discussions about before making the final decision. (The developers of Horizon: Zero Dawn said that in an interview.) And when it happens today, some companies get flack for "making the protagonist female for no reason, just to be different, etc" as if the human race is male by default.

What I'm saying is, even if Nintendo wanted to make a female Link in the past, they likely couldn't/wouldn't. Back then, the only female protagonists for notable games that I can think of off the top of my head were Miss Pac Man, and Samus. And Samus was only revealed to be female after you beat the game.

And I think Link always has been sort of like an avatar character. When the protagonist is a silent character that you can name, that has often been how they came across to me. Main character in Persona 3-4 for example. So some other people may have felt that way, but wanted the option for Link to be female. But even if Link was never intended to be an avatar character, the story is that Link is a reincarnated hero. So story wise it would work, as you acknowledged. And in that sense I think people would be less upset over an option for a female Link, than the option of a completely different protagonist. Because that would be really strange. If she's not Link, then why would her story be the same? Getting the Triforce of Courage, the Master Sword, etc.

Isn't Metroid just as old as Legend Of Zelda? 

Like i said in the other thread she never said that the female character is a female Link

bigtakilla said:
Hiku said:

Maybe there is a good reason. Because 30 years of doing it one way doesn't neccesarily mean they always did what they wanted.
When it comes to female protagonists in games, that was something developers were genuinely afraid of back in the day. Because the vast majority of gamers were male back then, and they were afraid of losing sales simply because the protagiopnist was female. Even today there is that concern, but to a smaller degree, and this is something they actually have discussions about before making the final decision. (The developers of Horizon: Zero Dawn said that in an interview.) And when it happens today, some companies get flack for "making the protagonist female for no reason, just to be different, etc" as if the human race is male by default.

What I'm saying is, even if Nintendo wanted to make a female Link in the past, they likely couldn't/wouldn't. Back then, the only female protagonists for notable games that I can think of off the top of my head were Miss Pac Man, and Samus. And Samus was only revealed to be female after you beat the game.

And I think Link always has been sort of like an avatar character. When the protagonist is a silent character that you can name, that has often been how they came across to me. Main character in Persona 3-4 for example. So some other people may have felt that way, but wanted the option for Link to be female. But even if Link was never intended to be an avatar character, the story is that Link is a reincarnated hero. So story wise it would work, as you acknowledged. And in that sense I think people would be less upset over an option for a female Link, than the option of a completely different protagonist. Because that would be really strange. If she's not Link, then why would her story be the same? Getting the Triforce of Courage, the Master Sword, etc.

which sold less than half as much as Zelda

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

It still does, even with todays "progressive minds". Maybe the sales have nothing to do with the gender of the character?

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

It still does, even with todays "progressive minds". Maybe the sales have nothing to do with the gender of the character?

true and i wasnt arguing with you, just pointing out that Metroid releasing in the same year doesnt support your side

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

true and i wasnt arguing with you, just pointing out that Metroid releasing in the same year doesnt support your side

But you haven't stated why they weren't afraid to make Samus a female.

spemanig said:
GoOnKid said:

A doubt is a doubt. Wouldn't it be unwise as well to believe something that's nothing more than a rumour, no matter how reliable this girl may be? I still think two of these three rumours are unlikely to happen und will believe them just the second it gets confirmed, not earlier.

Is this a joke? No, that's the exact opposite of unwise. Trusting information from someone with a documented track record of reliability is the simplest form of using your brain efficiently.

Alright, you believe it, I don't. We will see.

bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

i never claimed they were?

zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

i never claimed they were?

"When it comes to female protagonists in games, that was something developers were genuinely afraid of back in the day. Because the vast majority of gamers were male back then, and they were afraid of losing sales simply because the protagiopnist was female."

That's specifically what I was talking about. What are you talking about?