By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, have you change your mind over Amiibo?

Have you change about it?

Yes, now I'm positive. 8 7.62%

Yes, now I'm negative/dissapointed 22 20.95%

No, same position as ever 75 71.43%

Total:105

Amiibo is really better than downloadable content, thus you would see higher price than you think. Thanks to the Disc-locked DLC.

Around the Network

They sold faaar better then what I was expecting, so it was a sound financial decision. The DLC model they portray, on the other hand, is bad. I mean, I could understand if some costumes would be locked behind them, but full levels and difficulty settings? That's simply not fair IMO.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I'm sort of in the middle. I'd argue they're better than non-physical DLC though.

I like the figures but they aren't worth the price they go for. As a form of DLC theyre awful

I´m fine with them.

I would lie if I say that the case of Starfox Zero, Splatoon and Twilight Princess HD did not make me somewhat upset about them, I don´t like when entire sections or options of a game are locked on amiibos...and it´s depressing to think that Nintendo is starting to work on them like this.

When just a few features, like the clothing in Mario Kart 8 or items in Pokken/Hyrule Warriors, is locked on amiibos then it´s just fine. Things that doesn´t change much or any of the game´s experience, but somewhat give a bonus to the player who has them.

Compared to Skylanders and Disney Infinity, I still think they´re better, since a single amiibo can be used in lots of games and more can come in the future.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
They sold faaar better then what I was expecting, so it was a sound financial decision. The DLC model they portray, on the other hand, is bad. I mean, I could understand if some costumes would be locked behind them, but full levels and difficulty settings? That's simply not fair IMO.

I think it can be fair, for example shovel knight. You download the game for like $14, and it's definitley worth that. They then gave out a bunch of free dlc, which was also cool. they now have added even more features that are only accessible with the amiibo. I think that is very fair.

I used to hate them, but i bought a few, and then a few more and put them up in my gaming room. They look great and look awesome in my room.

I also have a kid that has hundreds of toys but all he cares about is a couple of dinosaurs and the four amiibo he has. He plays with them non stop so for me, they are definitely worth it.

lasershow said:
hunter_alien said:

I think it can be fair, for example shovel knight. You download the game for like $14, and it's definitley worth that. They then gave out a bunch of free dlc, which was also cool. they now have added even more features that are only accessible with the amiibo. I think that is very fair.

That is most deffinatly one of the better use of the Amiibo. I am more concerned about what they could potentially do with them in the future. At this poinbt IMO Nintendo still didn't cross any major lines with them (tough they start to flirt with the above mentioned line) and I do hope they will keep it fair in the long run.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I like the concept of them more than traditional DLC. With DLC you can only download it as long as the service is available. The amiibo is a form of physical media that can transcend the digital distribution in a sense. Basically, a form of the old physical media vs digital debate.

However I do not support, for example, a hard mode being locked behind it. This is a bad form of DLC and amiibo is no exception.

So I like the concept, not a fan how it is abused sometimes however.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
I like the concept of them more than traditional DLC. With DLC you can only download it as long as the service is available. The amiibo is a form of physical media that can transcend the digital distribution in a sense. Basically, a form of the old physical media vs digital debate.

However I do not support, for example, a hard mode being locked behind it. This is a bad form of DLC and amiibo is no exception.

So I like the concept, not a fan how it is abused sometimes however.

So what about physical DLC, as in discs, in comparison to amiibo?