By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NeoGAF verfied user: NX CPU is noticeably better then PS4 and Xbox One CPU

elektranine said:
curl-6 said:

Regarding the more modern feature set, I remember Black Forest Games talking about how Wii U's GPU, Latte, has DX11 level features like geometry shaders. Also, it's a GPGPU, and having access to 32MB of Embedded DRAM (that's over three times more than 360) would be a big help. Shin'en in particular talked a lot about how useful the eDRAM to pushing graphics in their games.

It may not be a big leap over PS3/360, but it's definitely more capable.

I hate to tell you this but you've been misinformed. Geometry shaders are not a DirectX 11 level feature and the Wii U GPU does not have the hardware to support DX11 and the GPU does not have direct access to the edram.

• Geometry shaders have been possible on many DirectX versions and OpenGL. You can do these shaders as far back as DX9. So geometry shaders prove nothing besides DX 9-11 level hardware support.
  • The Wii  U GPU comes froma reference design that only has upto DirectX 10.1 feature level hardware. It lacks the needed hardware to ever support features exclusive to DX11/ newer OpenGL.
  • GPGPU is just a term that stands for general purpose GPU applications. It is not new or exclusive to the Wii U gpu and both the PS3 and Xbox 360 support that. It is simply about running code originally meant for the CPU and adapting it to the GPU. They had GPGPU even before the PS3/Xbox 360 launched.
  • The 32mb of EDRAM is embedded on the CPU not the GPU on the Wii U. This means that the GPU can never directly access the EDRAM iwthout first doing through the system bus and querying the CPU. This adds latency and computational costs that would quickly destroy any advantage of using the edram by the GPU. Nintendo should have put the EDRAM on the GPU not the CPU.
  • Shin'en is not a particularly good example for developers praising the Wii U's system architecture. They are pretty much exclusive to Nintendo and have no real experience outside of Nintendo products. They haven't even released any full retail Wii U titles yet. So they can be classed as a sceond party indie developer.
So if you have any concrete numbers or examples to show that the Wii U is "definitely more capable" than the PS3/Xbox 360 then list them. I'm talking some sort of big leap or something that would definitely not be possible on the other two consoles. As far as I am aware there was no game possible on the Wii U that wasn't on the PS3/Xbox 360.

Devs who've worked on the system  as well as Digital Foundry's teardown say otherwise:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/09/developer_interview_black_forest_games_on_bringing_giana_sisters_twisted_dreams_to_wii_u

"The Wii U has some PC-like dx10/dx11-like systems like geometry shaders"

" On the tech side, having DX11 level features is pretty useful"

https://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/21/shinen-claims-its-not-the-hardwares-fault-if-devs-cant-create-good-looking-wii-u-games/

"on Wii U the eDRAM is available to the GPU and CPU."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed

"In the cyan area we have the 32MB of eDRAM - fast memory contained within the GPU itself. "

And no, Shin'en are not second party. They have developed on PS4. They are a third party developer, albiet one with extensive knowledge and experience with Wii U's hardware.

Is there a game on PS3/360 that does physically based rendering at 60fps?

Around the Network
elektranine said:
Miyamotoo said:

Even Wii U CPU is weak on paper, if its used on right way (use of huge and very fast EDRAM section and the big CPU caches in the cores) it can punche well above own height, just look how Nintendo used it for its game, most of Nintendo games working 720p/60Fps. Shin'en wrote how to use most of Wii U CPU and whole hardware.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/shinen_wii_u_has_enough_power_for_years_to_come_gpu_is_several_generations_ahead_of_current_consoles

So no, Wii U CPU is not 50% weaker than PS3/Xbox360. About GPU, its not just about power, Wii U GPU is several generations newer GPU than Xbox360/PS3 and that "allows many things that were not possible on PS3/Xbox360 consoles".

At end we have: somehow slower CPU and RAM but stronger and much more modern GPU and 2.4x more RAM. So similar performance like Xbox 360/PS3, but if hardware is used on right way it can have pretty impressive results for that hardware.

Nintendo made great hardware in Wii U for what they were aiming, very efficient, small, silent and in same time very capable 720p console, even if we know that aim wasn't good decision. I don't think they will use same philosophy this time again.

Can't believe the "wii u is only weak on paper" claim. lol kinda sounds suspiciously familiar to the "PS4 is only powerful on paper" routine i always used to see.

Also if i were you I'd refrain from going to places with nintendo in their URL they tend to be biased and spout lies favoring nintendo. Some of those places even claimed the Wii U having memory bandwidth rivaling that of the PS4/xbone and quite obviously thats not even close to being true.

I didn't mention the Wii U's edram because its basically just the same thing the Xbox 360 has only more of it. Edram is only used in a handfull of operations with most having to do with image post-processing. Besides the Wii U edram is embedded on the CPU not the GPU where it should have been. So the technical advantages of the Wii U having edram are rather limited and not worth discussing here.

As for the Wii U gpu having new hardware features: Yes of course it would. The GPU is basically off the shelf , a slighty downclocked AMD/ATI Mobility HD 4650 variant. So yes it has unified shaders that the ps3/xbox 360 lack. But having some new hardware features is only useful if it is exposed properly through a software API. Nintendo would have to do that. With the Wii developers complained about not having access to programmable shaders even though the Wii gpu supported GPU shaders. This is because Nintendo decided not to expose those features in the Wii API even though they could have. Same thing happend with the Wii U.

And what's with the "somehow" slower CPU and memory. It is not "somehow" it is mathematically proven, the numbers don't lie. I even ignored the fact that the Wii U has a 32-bit CPU, lower clock speed, older design, etc. The Wii U cpu comes from a design that competed against the Intel Pentium 2. The memory the Wii U has is a function of its slower CPU and 32-bit architecture. The WII U's system ram could actually be about 55gbps but is limited by the CPU's low GHZ rating (which controls the system bus) and 32-bit word size (which controls how much data can be moved around at one time).

Like I wrote, CPU is weak on paper but if its used in right way (use of huge and very fast eDRAM section and the big CPU caches in the cores) it can punched well above own height. Shin'en is well known for their knowledge about technical things of hardware and how to use most of hardware they having. Wii U has eDRAM of 32MB (3x more than Xbox360 and same amount like XB1), and if eDRAM is used on right way it could make quite difference for CPU, but almost any developer beside Nintendo (and Shin'en) didnt used that on right way and most of those things, that's why Nintendo games looking gorgeous and in most cases working at 720p and in locked 60 FPS.

Numbers dont lie, but tests for istance dont using eDRAM that can make quite difference for capability of CPU in games.

Like Shin'en wrote:

"You need to take advantage of the large shared memory of the Wii U, the huge and very fast EDRAM section and the big CPU caches in the cores. Especially the workings of the CPU caches are very important to master."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/shinen_wii_u_has_enough_power_for_years_to_come_gpu_is_several_generations_ahead_of_current_consoles

bonzobanana said:
Miyamotoo said:

You forget that Wii U also had 4x more RAM.

At end Wii U has much better stronger GPU with twice amount of RAM than PS3/Xbox 360 but somehow slower CPU and RAM, so  Wii U have similar power like PS3/Xbox 360 and even slightly above.

The wii u is a seriously weak console which doesn't quite manage to match 360 and ps3 for  most games.

However I'm really hopeful Nintendo will make the NX far more competitive. I think they realise now the game is up, shit hardware at inflated prices just won't cut it and I think they'll bring something to market with very decent cpu performance for a console and competitive gpu performance plus perhaps a few new innovations.

Actually Wii U for what Nintendo where is aiming is very solid console, very efficient, small, silent and in same time very capable 720p console, Nintendo games looking gorgeous and in most cases they running at 720p and locked 60 FPS while in same time Wii U gamepad taking part of Wii U resources. Even we know that aim wasn't good decision.

I don't think they will use same philosophy this time again. This rumour about NX CPU is pretty reliable, same guy before gave informations about GC, Wii and Wii U CPUs, Wii U arrived 6/7 years after Xbox360/PS3 and had slower CPU and this rumours is saying that NX that comes 3 years after PS4/XB1 will have 30% stronger CPU, IMO that is quite progress for Nintendo.

thismeintiel said:

So, if the NX has a better CPU, but a weaker GPU than the PS4, it's not really going to improve Nintendo's situation. Even one that is on par with the PS4 isn't going to help.

And considering Nintendo is going with another expensive controller, I don't see them going that powerful and keeping the price below $399. And I think Nintendo wants to aim for a $299-$349 price.

And like I have said countless times, this still isn't going to help them against a PS5, which will be 4x-5x more powerful than the PS4.

Its well known fact that PS4 CPU is weakest part of PS4 hardware, so stronger CPU with similar other specs definitely could make difference.

Who said Nintendo is again going with another expensive controller!? Wii U is huge faile, I doubt Nintendo will repeat same mistakes they made with it. Also all points that NX will not have BC, Wii U had Wii BC and expansive controller. IMO NX will have $299 price point.

Nintendo doesnt aim to compete with PS5, Nintendo consoles have shorter life cycle than Sony/MS, two years after PS5 Nintendo can easily release new console. People forgetting it not all about power of hardware, Wii, DS and 3DS proved this, all were much weaker than competition and sold better.

NX console should atleast be on par with ps4 but with better cpu, more ram and cost around 250-300$, NX handheld should be run Wii U level graphic at lower resolution, cost around 200$ and both have to be easy to develop.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo needs to be a little more creative in their SKU offerings.

$200 portable + $300 console is playing it safe and not bringing anything new to the table, it'll just be upgrades on the Wii U and 3DS model they use now which is in large decline.

You need to take a hard look at the functionality that a home console should have in today's day and age ... not just "well it needs to be cheap". That's not good enough anymore.

Miyamotoo said:
bonzobanana said:

The wii u is a seriously weak console which doesn't quite manage to match 360 and ps3 for  most games.

However I'm really hopeful Nintendo will make the NX far more competitive. I think they realise now the game is up, shit hardware at inflated prices just won't cut it and I think they'll bring something to market with very decent cpu performance for a console and competitive gpu performance plus perhaps a few new innovations.

Actually Wii U for what Nintendo where is aiming is very solid console, very efficient, small, silent and in same time very capable 720p console, Nintendo games looking gorgeous and in most cases they running at 720p and locked 60 FPS while in same time Wii U gamepad taking part of Wii U resources. Even we know that aim wasn't good decision.

I don't think they will use same philosophy this time again. This rumour about NX CPU is pretty reliable, same guy before gave informations about GC, Wii and Wii U CPUs, Wii U arrived 6/7 years after Xbox360/PS3 and had slower CPU and this rumours is saying that NX that comes 3 years after PS4/XB1 will have 30% stronger CPU, IMO that is quite progress for Nintendo.

Efficient yes it hardly takes any power despite being on a 40/45nm fabrication process (not 28nm like ps4/xbone) that's why the gpu can't be 352 gflops as it simply isn't consuming the power required.  I've got a wii u, ps3 and 360 and its easy to see overall the wii u is struggling due to its very low cpu resources.  Most games look and play better on ps3 and 360 compared to wii u. Not all of course some games with lower cpu requirements which allow the superior gpu to shine give the wii u an advantage but most games do require reasonable cpu performance.

I actually like the idea of the NX cpu being more powerful. Even if the games visually end up being the same or even lower resolution with a few missing  graphic features if the same game has more going on in the game world thanks to greater cpu performance that would be good. I'd rather play Skyrim with more people in the game world, more birds, more plants animation than see an anti-aliased tree. 

bonzobanana said:
Miyamotoo said:

I've got a wii u, ps3 and 360 and its easy to see overall the wii u is struggling due to its very low cpu resources.  Most games look and play better on ps3 and 360 compared to wii u. Not all of course some games with lower cpu requirements which allow the superior gpu to shine give the wii u an advantage but most games do require reasonable cpu performance.

I actually like the idea of the NX cpu being more powerful. Even if the games visually end up being the same or even lower resolution with a few missing  graphic features if the same game has more going on in the game world thanks to greater cpu performance that would be good. I'd rather play Skyrim with more people in the game world, more birds, more plants animation than see an anti-aliased tree. 

Funny because I got Wii U after Xbox360 and Nintendo games looked and runed better than Xbox360 games, I am not talking about multiplatform games on Wii U I talking about Nintendo games. I didnt saw that any Nintendo game struggle due weak CPU. However multiplatform games are different story.

NX CPU being more powerful than PS4/XB1 is definitely positive thing, we know that CPU is weakest part of PS4.

Neogaf verified doers not mean anything, it only verifies that the person is a student or has a job with an e-mail account.

bonzobanana said:
Miyamotoo said:

Efficient yes it hardly takes any power despite being on a 40/45nm fabrication process (not 28nm like ps4/xbone) that's why the gpu can't be 352 gflops as it simply isn't consuming the power required.  I've got a wii u, ps3 and 360 and its easy to see overall the wii u is struggling due to its very low cpu resources.  Most games look and play better on ps3 and 360 compared to wii u. Not all of course some games with lower cpu requirements which allow the superior gpu to shine give the wii u an advantage but most games do require reasonable cpu performance.

I think as many have discussed on Neogaf at great lengths. Leaks of Nintendo putting a more capable cpu in the NX is a great sign, because these new crop of consoles are all about efficient but limited cpu's coupled with more powerful gpu's.  So if the NX is already excepted to have a more powerful cpu than XbOne and PS4, it should be a given that Nintendo would put a much stronger gpu in the system as well. My biggest concern comes from the RAM setup that Nintendo will choose for the NX and the internal hdd storage they  choose.  Since bandwidth will be the key to the system being truly capable over the long run. Everything will need to come together and communicate with as few bottlenecks as possible.