By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 720p still acceptable to you?

Well, is it?

Yes 571 64.30%

No 317 35.70%

Total:888
paulrage2 said:
bigtakilla said:

Are you excited for Final Fantasy XV then? Dynamic resolution and unlocked framerate and all. 

No. I don't like Final Fantasy.

Well, since last gen I haven't either, so I feel you.

Around the Network

I still cannot see the difference between 1080p and 720p and yes I have two televisions with these settings and a PS4. I'm also pretty sure 90% of all gamers will not be able to see the difference in a direct comparison. If 720p can provide a better game performance so be it. I would've prefered UC4 in 720p/60fps instead of 1080p/30fps. Even with the lower resolution, the game would look much better in 60fps.

A good game is a good game at any resolution

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

John2290 said:
Very much so. 360p. is still acceptable in some instances. I even made the decision to go from a Galaxy s4 (1090P LCD) to a Galaxy A5 (720p Super AMOLED) and I still consider the A5 a better screen. I lock my laptop screen to 720p and play certain pc games on it (Civ 5, Xcom, Starcraft 2) and some times I'll step down from 1080p to sub 900/720p if the blue ray is to sharp or "crisp" if noise filtering doesn't work. For example the Lord of The rings Trilogy blue ray extended which I have no idea how people manage to watch such an overly crisp picture at the expense of fluid movement. Never mind the unesessary "bloating" of the extended 3 and a half hours of complete filler, random scenes.

That's a first I heard complaints about the sharpness of LOTR, it's actually quite a soft picture compared to new releases. The first one is even kinda blurry due to it being one of the first movies with a 2K master. Perhaps your laptop screen is the problem, I doubt it has 24p playback.

From Blu-ray.com (extended version) about the softness
The transfer was created from 2K scans, and the resulting clarity should be viewed with an understanding of the limitations of a 2K source.
Jackson and Weta, like most filmmakers and effects houses, did employ some judicious noise reduction techniques when finalizing the original film

I loved the 13 hour version, and watched the whole thing again with commentary track. There were still plenty things missing from the books :p Yet It wasn't as big a step up from the DVD as I had hoped, any 4K release will be completely pointless. The movie is stuck in the early 2K era.

HintHRO said:
I still cannot see the difference between 1080p and 720p and yes I have two televisions with these settings and a PS4. I'm also pretty sure 90% of all gamers will not be able to see the difference in a direct comparison. If 720p can provide a better game performance so be it. I would've prefered UC4 in 720p/60fps instead of 1080p/30fps. Even with the lower resolution, the game would look much better in 60fps.

I'm pretty sure more gamers don't notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps than 720p and 1080p.
60fps does have the advantage of frame dips to be less noticeable, yet there are no glasses that make 60fps more noticeable...

Around the Network

I guess so. Honestly, this isn't something I think about when I play a game...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

TH-Work said:
Yerm said:
in Gen 9, meaning when the NX rolls around, there will be no excuses to not have 1080p

Why? It's not like any resolution makes a game better!

If visual immersion  is part of the expereince, then yes, it can make the game better.

curl-6 said:

As I've said elsewhere, 720p is just fine by me.

Games like Star Wars Battlefront and Quantum Break on Xbox One or Mario 3D World and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on Wii U look gorgeous at 1280x720 in my opinion.

Quantum Break looks gorgeous, im playing it right now. The art is very beautiful and the attention to detail is pretty amazing.

But in all honesty. It looks kind of blurry.

It gots tons of pop in, and i guess that the dynamic resolution makes the textures look unstable most of the times. Like they load when you get close to something and "unload" when you get away from that object.

But i have enjoyed the visuals from what ive seen (1st junction after act 3).

What's for sure, reports of 720p death have been greatly exaggerated.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Sure... on a handheld.

4 ≈ One