By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGChartz Civil War: Banquet of Crow (NX Edition)

zorg1000 said:
Aeolus451 said:

I have to agree with bigtakilla on nintendo consoles needing more hype to sell and xbox (west) /playstation (worldwide) brands are bigger.

thats fine, im more disagreeing with his reasoning than the actual statement.

Xbox & Playstation didnt become popular simply because of the Microsoft & Sony name backing them, they both worked their asses off to build those brands to what they are today.

And we can still see that hype is a major factor in their sales, Microsofts early DRM/Kinect blunders negatively affected the hype around Xbox One and they had to do alot of things to recover from that and build hype back up like dropping those DRM practices, unbundling Kinect, huge discounts, exclusive marketing, timed exclusives, etc. While Sony had made little to no mistakes when announcing PS4, that plus Microsofts blunders allowed for PS4 to gain hype.

Neither of those consoles have sold what they have simply due to brand name, its because of the various actions those companies have made.

You don't have to agree with my reasoning (as there's nothing concrete to prove or disprove the points made), but you cannot deny they need more time to hype the product.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:

You don't have to agree with my reasoning (as there's nothing concrete to prove or disprove the points made), but you cannot deny they need more time to hype the product.

Not really the DS was released in a short time frame and did fine, as marketing goes you don't need a lot of time to hype something up.

Wyrdness said:
bigtakilla said:

Not really the DS was released in a short time frame and did fine, as marketing goes you don't need a lot of time to hype something up.

I would say home consoles and handhelds appeal to different tastes. A Nintendo handheld wouldn't need time to gain hype, but a home console would. Just as if Sony is making another handheld, I would expect to see a LOT of marketing a decent amount of time before release to hype it up.

bigtakilla said:

I would say home consoles and handhelds appeal to different tastes. A Nintendo handheld wouldn't need time to gain hype, but a home console would. Just as if Sony is making another handheld, I would expect to see a LOT of marketing a decent amount of time before release to hype it up.

You don't need much time to hype any product up all you need is good marketing, we're no longer in the 90s or early 00s.

Wyrdness said:
bigtakilla said:

You don't need much time to hype any product up all you need is good marketing, we're no longer in the 90s or early 00s.

I disagree with products not needing to gain hype. 

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Wyrdness said:

A product that people actually want gains hype on its own. 

You can't 'manufacture' hype, the Wii U had two E3s before launch and it sold like packaged dog crap, the GameCube similarily had a long lead up of huffing and puffing that went down like a resounding whimper once the product actually released. 

Apple is the master of product hype/marketing today and doing something like unveiling an iPhone months and months and months before release would be stupid, all it does is frustrate people who want it now. 

Maybe it's time Nintendo joined the 21st century and started releasing products the way most normal successful companies do today, and not doing it how they did in the 80s/90s because "tradition". 

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

You can't 'manufacture' hype, the Wii U had two E3s before launch and it sold like packaged dog crap, the GameCube similarily had a long lead up of huffing and puffing that went down like a resounding whimper once the product actually released. 

Apple is the master of product hype/marketing today and doing something like unveiling an iPhone months and months and months before release would be stupid, all it does is frustrate people who want it now. 

Apple is top dog, but if something were to compete with Apple it would need to be out long before they launch it to explain to people why they want it. Show off its features, and get people on board to buy it. Nintendo isn't Apple, Sony is (metaphorically speaking) in the home console business. Nintendo is the other guy trying to take people away from Apple. 

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

Apple is top dog, but if something were to compete with Apple it would need to be out long before they launch it to explain to people why they want it. Show off its features, and get people on board to buy it. Nintendo isn't Apple, Sony is (metaphorically speaking) in the home console business. Nintendo is the other guy trying to take people away from Apple. 

Like I said Nintendo might want to consider joining the 21st century at some point marketing-wise then. 

Apple is not the only one that does that either, every other sane company does it. 

Why? Because is 2016, not 1991 anymore. 

If you need several years to build "hype" you are doing it *wrong*, plain and simple.

bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

Whats your point? We are talking about XB vs GC, those games are on Xbox but not GC.

Bringing up irrelevent points doesnt help win an argument.

The point is, the Xbox shouldn't have been that popular a thing. In any other gen a new console having almost no exclusives would be a death sentence. It DID sell on the fact that it was a console from Microsoft. That's the point.

again you are naking things up, Xbox had a bunch of exclusives.

Halo, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing, Project Gotham Racing 2, Forza Motorsport, Fable, Doom 3, Ninja Gaiden, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Brute Force, Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic, Knights of the Old Republic II, Dead or Alive 3, Crimson Skies, Fuzion Frenzy, Conker: Live & Reloaded, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, MechAssault, MechAssault 2, Unreal Championship, Jade Empire, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Blood Wake, RalliSport Challenge, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Blinx 2, Amped, Amped 2, Far Cry Instincts

also the Tom Clancey games, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six 3 were timed exclusives.

it did not do as well as it did because it was a Microsoft console, it did as well as it did because it had a bunch of exclusives, strong 3rd party support, and features that were growing in popularity like DVD playback & online multiplayer.

im sorry but maybe you should do some fact checking before making strong claims, i have now proven multiple of your statements to be false.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

The point is, the Xbox shouldn't have been that popular a thing. In any other gen a new console having almost no exclusives would be a death sentence. It DID sell on the fact that it was a console from Microsoft. That's the point.

again you are naking things up, Xbox had a bunch of exclusives.

Halo, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing, Project Gotham Racing 2, Forza Motorsport, Fable, Doom 3, Ninja Gaiden, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Brute Force, Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic, Knights of the Old Republic II, Dead or Alive 3, Crimson Skies, Fuzion Frenzy, Conker: Live & Reloaded, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, MechAssault, MechAssault 2, Unreal Championship, Jade Empire, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Blood Wake, RalliSport Challenge, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Blinx 2, Amped, Amped 2, Far Cry Instincts

also the Tom Clancey games, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six 3 were timed exclusives.

it did not do as well as it did because it was a Microsoft console, it did as well as it did because it had a bunch of exclusives, strong 3rd party support, and features that were growing in popularity like DVD playback & online multiplayer.

im sorry but maybe you should do some fact checking before making strong claims, i have now proven multiple of your statements to be false.

That's a bunch of exclusives out of 900 games? I guess. It seems more like your idea of a bunch and mine are different.