By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 is a less than 20 hour jrpg MORE proof, Amazon japan users complaining

Good i don't like extremely long JRPGs

I Love Playstation, but my uncle works at Nintendo.

Around the Network

No way to make an entire judgment call based on anecdote.

If it's a 20 hour good main game with side missions and stories, then it's not a big deal. Hell, even if it's a good 20 hour main game, it's fine. Just wait for the game to go into the cheap pile for like 10-20 bucks and problem solved.

Star Ocean 4 took me 50 hours and I didn't even do close to everything. I highly doubt this.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

That sounds about right for Star Ocean without doing much of the side quests.

Then again I remember doing a lot of stuff in SO3 & 4. lol!

But SO1 & 2 was about that long. Of course 2 had more replayability with a 2nd main character.

Around the Network

If it really is 20 hours, it's quite perfect for me, especially if the pacing is great. As a grown up with a career that requires a lot from me and a personal life, I can't do 100 hour RPGs any longer, except the odd occasion like Dragon Age Inquisition (200 hours) because I love the world/lore, even though it was still a disappointment when compared to Origins. Dropped The Witcher 3 after 30 hours.

For a RPG I'd say anywhere between 20 to 30 at most is ideal. Any more than that and you get padded pacing, unneeded grinding and a high risk that players will lose interest and disconnect.

tiffac said:

But SO1 & 2 was about that long. Of course 2 had more replayability with a 2nd main character.

star Ocean 3 took me ages! Star Ocean 4 i got too bored and quit after about 15 hours

think-man said:
tiffac said:

star Ocean 3 took me ages! Star Ocean 4 i got too bored and quit after about 15 hours

SO3 took everybody ages if you were going for everything. I think games like SO3, FF12, and DQ8 had alittle too much content. 

Wasn't Chrono Trigger essentially 20 hours?

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

20 hours eh? that's disturbing. I recall spending well over 400+ hours on Star Ocean Till The End of Time on the PS2. Somewhere around 100+ hours on SO4. And like 300+ hours on Resonance of Fate, another Tri-Ace IP.