By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 is a less than 20 hour jrpg MORE proof, Amazon japan users complaining

If it's a 20 hour good main game with side missions and stories, then it's not a big deal. Hell, even if it's a good 20 hour main game, it's fine. Just wait for the game to go into the cheap pile for like 10-20 bucks and problem solved.

Around the Network

Star Ocean 4 took me 50 hours and I didn't even do close to everything. I highly doubt this.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

That sounds about right for Star Ocean without doing much of the side quests.

Then again I remember doing a lot of stuff in SO3 & 4. lol!

But SO1 & 2 was about that long. Of course 2 had more replayability with a 2nd main character.

If it really is 20 hours, it's quite perfect for me, especially if the pacing is great. As a grown up with a career that requires a lot from me and a personal life, I can't do 100 hour RPGs any longer, except the odd occasion like Dragon Age Inquisition (200 hours) because I love the world/lore, even though it was still a disappointment when compared to Origins. Dropped The Witcher 3 after 30 hours.

For a RPG I'd say anywhere between 20 to 30 at most is ideal. Any more than that and you get padded pacing, unneeded grinding and a high risk that players will lose interest and disconnect.

tiffac said:

But SO1 & 2 was about that long. Of course 2 had more replayability with a 2nd main character.

star Ocean 3 took me ages! Star Ocean 4 i got too bored and quit after about 15 hours

Around the Network
think-man said:
tiffac said:

star Ocean 3 took me ages! Star Ocean 4 i got too bored and quit after about 15 hours

SO3 took everybody ages if you were going for everything. I think games like SO3, FF12, and DQ8 had alittle too much content. 

Wasn't Chrono Trigger essentially 20 hours?

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

20 hours eh? that's disturbing. I recall spending well over 400+ hours on Star Ocean Till The End of Time on the PS2. Somewhere around 100+ hours on SO4. And like 300+ hours on Resonance of Fate, another Tri-Ace IP.

DivinePaladin said:
Wasn't Chrono Trigger essentially 20 hours?

If you wanted it to be and on that topic, so was Chrono Cross, another excellent game.

Xxain said:
Aeolus451 said:

What about the other star ocean games? 40 hours or more of gameplay is the standard length of gameplay in a rpg. If anything the standard is getting longer for most rpgs. It just means there's that much more content to play through versus there being less. 

Typical western gamer mindset - MOOOAR = BETTAR!

This idea of  "standardization" is exactly what I was talking about. Grandia 2 is one of my favorite RPGS and it can be beaten in 20-25 hours. It is very linear with no sidequest, post game content or anything like that. Does not make it any less enjoyable to any other rpgs from that or or current. Somebody said it up above, but im tired of "forever games"... 60 hours main story!!..Ugh. 20 hour main story, plus all the typical tri-Ace side stuff and I am absolutely fine with that.

Forever games? You have a weird sense of time. I can understand that some of us just don't have the time or patience to play a normal length rpg but don't act like shorter is better. Everyone basically has less content to play and then the game is over that much quicker.  

Let's say you take out the base building, side quests and put a level cap on character levels in Fallout 4. The game will a lot shorter because it has less content.

For the witcher 3, if we took out monster hunting and the side quests. It's alot shorter game because it would have less content. 

Not in this reality or in any other, does shorter = better with video games.