By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 is a less than 20 hour jrpg MORE proof, Amazon japan users complaining

To me this tells me a ~100k opening in Japan is actually good enough rather than 200k+.

SE are no fools and they made a good call. SO4 did big damage to the series. They were smart to make it shorter and cheaper. Keeps the series viable. Good decision.

Around the Network

No problem for me. 20 hours is great. Kinda over these 100, and 200 long games.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

Great news for me, I find it very hard to play 60 hour mid tier RPGs nowadays, they just can't hold my attention as they used to when I was younger.

I'd day that is short, but I beat my all time favorite JRPG in just under 14 hours and that game is a masterpiece...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

think-man said:
Aeolus451 said:
It's difficult to trust that bit of info. Star Ocean games have never been that short. It most likely has 40 to 100 hours of gameplay if you do most of everything.

It's 100% true I've been watching him play aswell.

So you watched him play the entire game and do all of the side quests?

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Aeolus451 said:
It's difficult to trust that bit of info. Star Ocean games have never been that short. It most likely has 40 to 100 hours of gameplay if you do most of everything.

Not quite. 

The Original Star Ocean can be beaten in about 20 hours. Now that I do give it a second thought - As long as it has the typical post game content and that true blue SO grind.... I dont care. The idea about there needing to a certain length designation is just as bad as pixel designation.  

What about the other star ocean games? 40 hours or more of gameplay is the standard length of gameplay in a rpg. If anything the standard is getting longer for most rpgs. It just means there's that much more content to play through versus there being less. 

Well looks like I probably won't be playing this at launch like I was planning to. If square is going to make this a budget game, I'll buy it at a budget price.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

CWegzz said:
Well looks like I probably won't be playing this at launch like I was planning to. If square is going to make this a budget game, I'll buy it at a budget price.

on the plus side he says it's really fun, and the story is well paced, never a dull moment

Aeolus451 said:
Xxain said:

Not quite. 

The Original Star Ocean can be beaten in about 20 hours. Now that I do give it a second thought - As long as it has the typical post game content and that true blue SO grind.... I dont care. The idea about there needing to a certain length designation is just as bad as pixel designation.  

What about the other star ocean games? 40 hours or more of gameplay is the standard length of gameplay in a rpg. If anything the standard is getting longer for most rpgs. It just means there's that much more content to play through versus there being less. 

Typical western gamer mindset - MOOOAR = BETTAR!

This idea of  "standardization" is exactly what I was talking about. Grandia 2 is one of my favorite RPGS and it can be beaten in 20-25 hours. It is very linear with no sidequest, post game content or anything like that. Does not make it any less enjoyable to any other rpgs from that or or current. Somebody said it up above, but im tired of "forever games"... 60 hours main story!!..Ugh. 20 hour main story, plus all the typical tri-Ace side stuff and I am absolutely fine with that.

I'm sure I'll easily get 40+ hours out of this.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website