By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (APRIL'S FOOLS!) "Nintendo should make a transgender Link in the new Zelda game"

Tagged games:

KLAMarine said:
MTZehvor said:

But Samus is already a transexual.

Hahaha... Nope.

T'was a joke.

Around the Network

Why do we continue to want politically/socially correct video games? They are not meant to show utopias: in fact if there were no problems then the game would be pointless. Instead, video games are meant to show flawed worlds, often exaggerated, in order to critique the world as it is. I do think that equality for everyone is necessary, but we need to change society first: video games will inevitably follow according to those changes. If we just try to change the games before changing society's perception on the matter, there will always be problems. I honestly don't care if they make Link transgender, but I have no idea why anyone sees Link being male as an issue.

Wright said:
Zkuq said:
Not sure if serious or not. It seems like a joke, but some people seriously suggest things like that.

You make it sound like it's bad to ask for things like these.

The only purpose asking for these things usually serves is promoting your agenda. It wouldn't serve any purpose for the game aside from getting more publicity. For some games, the agenda may be fitting, but I doubt Zelda is the game to promote these minorities. I expect that to fit games with a deeper message than Zelda, and even then it depends on the game.

MTZehvor said:
KLAMarine said:

Hahaha... Nope.

T'was a joke.

Mary Sue's suggestion is a joke.

cheshirescat said:
Thankfully the mary sue will be a wrestling blog by the end of the month.

What do you mean?

Around the Network
Zkuq said:

The only purpose asking for these things usually serves is promoting your agenda. It wouldn't serve any purpose for the game aside from getting more publicity. For some games, the agenda may be fitting, but I doubt Zelda is the game to promote these minorities. I expect that to fit games with a deeper message than Zelda, and even then it depends on the game.

I'm not promoting any agenda. I merely found the points established in the source valids and worth discussing, and so I posted them here. I didn't write them all (I suggest going to the source for the full article), but other than that, no agenda whatsoever, just healthy discussion.

sundin13 said:
The question is, why? What does it add to the game? They could theoretically give Link a whole backstory about being Transgendered and the difficulties of growing up transgendered but it just wouldn't make sense in a game like this.

Further, we already have an established canon and while Link is a more flexible character then most, such a change would have to be justified and that seems like it would mostly just detract from the game.

I am with Stan Lee on this idea. If you want LGBT characters in art, make them. Don't take established characters with established lore/backstory and throw that out the window to rebuild them.

Lastly, I think "trans" characters are the most difficult to do in a game scenario because the key point of being a transgendered person is not "I used to be a man", it is "I am a woman". Unless you turn a game into a character study (which is quite rare in gaming), the current state of a character is usually all that really matters. For all we know, 90% of game characters are transgendered but they just never went into their past...

You basically said all I wanted to say before I came here...so thanks for that.

For me it's basically a question of, what does it really add to the experience? Unless the next Zelda decides to take a sharp turn and focus on real life social issues, I can't think of anything this would add other than character background, which would make the change rather pointless to begin with.

I'm all for promoting diversity...but focusing on changing established characters over creating new ones seems less an issue of wanting diversity, and more a matter of pushing your viewpoint on everyone else. And that's certainly not something I want to see happen with one of my favorite gaming franchises.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Do transgenders also fall into Anita's works...? o:

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

How about "No"? I hope this is just a bad april fools joke, because this whole Link gender "issue" has got to be the most pointless and annoyingly persistent discussions in gaming. Why is it even a thing, why do I never see these questions raised on anything else?

I'm not getting into this again, I'll just say: "Go bore another franchise"!

Wright said:
Zkuq said:
Not sure if serious or not. It seems like a joke, but some people seriously suggest things like that.

You make it sound like it's bad to ask for things like these.

I always say this whenever people demand things from a particular video game series or any kind of media where it's out of the norm for it -- either make your own game or find a game that does what you want and promote the hell out of it. Your reasoning seems specifically to push an agenda because the people asking for these things always do so with prominent franchises -- specifically Nintendo franchises.  From what I've seen, the people demanding these things don't want representation; they want a shortcut to prominence or a way to virtue signal that they're doing something that they think others will approve of.