By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
DanneSandin said:
JEMC said:

I've found two pieces of info that may be worth commenting. One comes from an analyst (no, it's not Pachter, calm down) about the cost of the Tegra chip, and the other another comes from Laura Dale and is about an extra function of the Joy-Cons.

*not relevant to this discussion*

Report: Nintendo Switch’s Right Joy-Con Offers IR Pointer Functionality

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/report-nintendo-switchs-right-joy-con-offers-ir-pointer-functionality/

Having spoken to sources within Ubisoft, we believe that games which support touch functionality on the handheld will use IR functionality to replicate that ability on the TV.
We believe the handheld, when docked, will switch on two small IR lights similar to the Wii Sensor Bar at the top of the handheld screen, peeking out above the top of the dock. The IR sensor in the right Joy-Con can then be used in much the same way as a Wii Remote pointer. This is designed to be used for touch screen replication, rather than the camera turning and aiming functions Wii Remotes were often used for.

That seems rather complicated to use, don't you think? And require the dock to be put next to the TV.

Regarding the IR sensors; that WOULD explain why a bit of the Switch is sticking up over the docking station, and since Laura Dale has been right in the past, I'm inclined to believe her. To me this wouldn't be all that problematic really; the Switch is so discret I don't I'd even notice it if it stood right under the TV

There are other reasons for the console sticking out the docking station, and the easiest one would probably be a small led or something similar that alerts you when there's new notifications, just like Wii U's gamepad home button flashes when there's one.

And I still don't see how an IR sensor could replicate the functionality of a touch screen, even more so if (as rumors say) it's a multitouch screen.

Lastly, many people just have their TVs standing on the factory setup/feet. Placing the Switch in front (to have it centered with your viewing angle so you don't have to play while pointing to one side of your TV) would block part of the TV screen for a lot of people.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
DanneSandin said:

Well, we know there will be a few games on it already; Zelda for one, that new Mario, and didn't Dragon Quest get announced for it a while back? And come January we'll get far more games announced

Just hope its new games and not ports of 1-3 year old ones.

Definately!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

JEMC said:
DanneSandin said:

Regarding the IR sensors; that WOULD explain why a bit of the Switch is sticking up over the docking station, and since Laura Dale has been right in the past, I'm inclined to believe her. To me this wouldn't be all that problematic really; the Switch is so discret I don't I'd even notice it if it stood right under the TV

There are other reasons for the console sticking out the docking station, and the easiest one would probably be a small led or something similar that alerts you when there's new notifications, just like Wii U's gamepad home button flashes when there's one.

And I still don't see how an IR sensor could replicate the functionality of a touch screen, even more so if (as rumors say) it's a multitouch screen.

Lastly, many people just have their TVs standing on the factory setup/feet. Placing the Switch in front (to have it centered with your viewing angle so you don't have to play while pointing to one side of your TV) would block part of the TV screen for a lot of people.

Good points, but having some sort of IR sensing would ease porting games over from the Wii U to Switch I guess, no? If Nintendo only wanted to let you know you had a new notification, they could just as easily have made some sort of flashing lamp on the docking station, similar to the home button on the Wii U gamepad.

Maybe it's a simplified way to reproduce the multitouch using IR sensors? Maybe you can move the controller up, down and sideways to indicate a simple motion?

Considering my thought experiment above (if you even can call it that), I would think that precise motions isn't required when using the joycons, so having the docking station standing beside the TV wouldn't be a problem.

FINALLY found this thread!  Tagging.

Ps: So...why does Rogers get her own special thread when the whole point of this thread was to centralize all the rumors?  

DanneSandin said:
JEMC said:

Good points, but having some sort of IR sensing would ease porting games over from the Wii U to Switch I guess, no? If Nintendo only wanted to let you know you had a new notification, they could just as easily have made some sort of flashing lamp on the docking station, similar to the home button on the Wii U gamepad.

Maybe it's a simplified way to reproduce the multitouch using IR sensors? Maybe you can move the controller up, down and sideways to indicate a simple motion?

Considering my thought experiment above (if you even can call it that), I would think that precise motions isn't required when using the joycons, so having the docking station standing beside the TV wouldn't be a problem.

Having the led for notifications on the dock would limit its function, as you would only see it when at home and with the Switch docked (because so far we still don't know if the dock has extra hardware or not). Having the notification function on the Switch would allow you to get them whenever a wi-fi connection is available.

As for the IR sensor, the Wii U gampad didn't have one, and if the function on the Switch is to swing side to side or up and down, a gyroscope would be a far better solution to that that could be implemented on both joy-cons and that wouldn't require the console to be in front of the TV and aligned with the controller.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

Ps: So...why does Rogers get her own special thread when the whole point of this thread was to centralize all the rumors?  

Because not every rumor got posted and/or discussed here, and also because the number of Emily Roger related threads was, imho, ridiculous.

JEMC said:
DanneSandin said:

Having the led for notifications on the dock would limit its function, as you would only see it when at home and with the Switch docked (because so far we still don't know if the dock has extra hardware or not). Having the notification function on the Switch would allow you to get them whenever a wi-fi connection is available.

As for the IR sensor, the Wii U gampad didn't have one, and if the function on the Switch is to swing side to side or up and down, a gyroscope would be a far better solution to that that could be implemented on both joy-cons and that wouldn't require the console to be in front of the TV and aligned with the controller.

Good points. I'm all out of other possibilities :P

JEMC said:
Nuvendil said:

Because not every rumor got posted and/or discussed here, and also because the number of Emily Roger related threads was, imho, ridiculous.

But just make this the Rumor thread as the title suggests and dump them all here including hers!  I wanted to say this back before the Rogers thread was made but couldn't find this thread to link to for the life of me :P

Nuvendil said:
JEMC said:

But just make this the Rumor thread as the title suggests and dump them all here including hers!  I wanted to say this back before the Rogers thread was made but couldn't find this thread to link to for the life of me :P

It would have been a blessing if that had happened, but I'm sure that you've noticed that there are a lot of Nintendo fans on this site and, I don't know why, every new rumor or bit of info about them usually results in (at least) a couple of threads.

Trying to not only fight that habit but make them come to an already created thread to post those new bits of info would be a lost cause.

That said, I've noticed that "Official" threads tend to achieve this kind of miracle, so maybe someone should have had to create an official NX discussion thread last year where all of this stuff could have been placed.

Has this been discussed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC9zxhqpfAo
Seems like the price might be $249.99, according to several "leaks"