By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - G4TV gives Crisis Core a 4 !

kingofwale said:
HappySqurriel said:
kingofwale said:
HappySqurriel said:

I haven't played Crisis Core so I'm not going to make any comments directly related to it but ...

There are (pretty much) two factors that really matter in an RPG (in particular a Japaneese RPG), the Story and the combat system; if the story is full of cliches, the dialogue is bad, the battles are repetative and the combat is too easy this means that an RPG game is not a good RPG.

I won't ruin the game by telling you the plot, so I will just say.

Story full of cliches? No, not that I can tell, the story is actually pretty well written (of course, I didn't play FFVII so it keeps on surprising me)

Bad dialogue? Yes, I was the first to point that out on March 21th.

Battle repetitive? Absolutely not, you can give away from button mashing in first 2 levels, just like you can get away with just random drawing on first 2 levels of NG on DS, but other than that, you HAVE to fusion, you HAVE to use magic and you have to use your brain.

Bad Combat system?: I love the combat system, it keeps you on your toe whenever you go.

Honestly, a lot of his criticisms are related to experience ...

Someone who has played every Final Fantasy game , has read the "classic" fantasy books, and has a decent knowlege of various folk tales and myths will see any new Final Fantasy game as a paint-by numbers cliche filled story; if they've played several RPGs with similar battle systems it is possible that Crisis Core will be seen as having the most repetative (and dull) of them all.

On the other hand, if you take a 16 year old kid who hasn't played any Final Fantasy that hasn't been released on the PS2 or PSP, hasn't read much fantasy, and has very little knowlege of folk-tales and myths they will probably see a new Final Fantasy story as a fresh experience; at the same time, if this is their first RPG with a battle system like this they will see it as an amazingly fresh and challengine experience.

Which view is correct?

Well, that's the point, Crisis Core has a completely different combat system that any out there, it feels completely new and 'never seen' before. 

Frankly, I never played FFVII, so I can't say I would rate the game higher because of their characters, the storyline to me is quite interesting (albit pretty cheesy). 

Being that the reviewer mentioned that Crisis Core had a similar combat system to Kingdom Hearts I'm not sure you can say that it has a "completely different combat system that any out there" ... Being that "Action RPGs" in general are one of the more common sub-genres I wouldn't be too surprised to see several different games with similar combat systems (potentially with some being better)

Around the Network

g4tv always give final fantasies bad reviews. the only exception would be final fantasy xii which they gave a 5/5.

my top 5 right now. 1. uncharted 2 2. assassin's creed 2 3. god of war 3 4. final fantasy xiii 5. blue dragon: awakened shadow.

owned?

Well it sounds like definetly it doesn't need outstanding scores but a 4/10 seemed a little harsh. After viewing it I thought they'd give it a 3.5/5 or 7 which would have been more appropriate from just watching that.

HappySqurriel said:
kingofwale said:
HappySqurriel said:
kingofwale said:
HappySqurriel said:

I haven't played Crisis Core so I'm not going to make any comments directly related to it but ...

There are (pretty much) two factors that really matter in an RPG (in particular a Japaneese RPG), the Story and the combat system; if the story is full of cliches, the dialogue is bad, the battles are repetative and the combat is too easy this means that an RPG game is not a good RPG.

I won't ruin the game by telling you the plot, so I will just say.

Story full of cliches? No, not that I can tell, the story is actually pretty well written (of course, I didn't play FFVII so it keeps on surprising me)

Bad dialogue? Yes, I was the first to point that out on March 21th.

Battle repetitive? Absolutely not, you can give away from button mashing in first 2 levels, just like you can get away with just random drawing on first 2 levels of NG on DS, but other than that, you HAVE to fusion, you HAVE to use magic and you have to use your brain.

Bad Combat system?: I love the combat system, it keeps you on your toe whenever you go.

Honestly, a lot of his criticisms are related to experience ...

Someone who has played every Final Fantasy game , has read the "classic" fantasy books, and has a decent knowlege of various folk tales and myths will see any new Final Fantasy game as a paint-by numbers cliche filled story; if they've played several RPGs with similar battle systems it is possible that Crisis Core will be seen as having the most repetative (and dull) of them all.

On the other hand, if you take a 16 year old kid who hasn't played any Final Fantasy that hasn't been released on the PS2 or PSP, hasn't read much fantasy, and has very little knowlege of folk-tales and myths they will probably see a new Final Fantasy story as a fresh experience; at the same time, if this is their first RPG with a battle system like this they will see it as an amazingly fresh and challengine experience.

Which view is correct?

Well, that's the point, Crisis Core has a completely different combat system that any out there, it feels completely new and 'never seen' before.

Frankly, I never played FFVII, so I can't say I would rate the game higher because of their characters, the storyline to me is quite interesting (albit pretty cheesy).

Being that the reviewer mentioned that Crisis Core had a similar combat system to Kingdom Hearts I'm not sure you can say that it has a "completely different combat system that any out there" ... Being that "Action RPGs" in general are one of the more common sub-genres I wouldn't be too surprised to see several different games with similar combat systems (potentially with some being better)

Comparing God of War to Kingdom Heart is like Comparing FFXII to LO (combat system wise). Considering I'm the only one out of the 3(you, me and Adam), I think it's MY opinion we should go by here. :P

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:

Comparing God of War to Kingdom Heart is like Comparing FFXII to LO (combat system wise). Considering I'm the only one out of the 3(you, me and Adam), I think it's MY opinion we should go by here. :P

Who said anything about God of War?

Action RPG's are games like (using Gamerankings' classifications):

• Vagrant Story
  • Mass Effect
  • Jade Empire
  • Diablo
  • Freedom Force
  • Dark Cloud
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Fable
  • Baldur's Gate
  • and so on ...

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
kingofwale said:

Who said anything about God of War?

Action RPG's are games like (using Gamerankings' classifications):

• Vagrant Story
  • Mass Effect
  • Jade Empire
  • Diablo
  • Freedom Force
  • Dark Cloud
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Fable
  • Baldur's Gate
  • and so on ...

Sorry, Crisis Core. big typo there.

The cloest game I would compare Crisis Core to is Tales series. Except you battle alone and have fusion, summon system (both familiar to FF fans)

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

Poor voice overs ruin a game's quality. I'm sorry, the polish is what makes or breaks a AAA title. Voice acting is part of the professionalism of the game's final product. There is no reason a massive developer like Square (backed by Sony) can't spring for half decent voice acting.

Square-Enix, for the type of AAA 1st tier product the try to advertise, their utterly embarassing voice acting and localization stands in stark contrast to it. This speaks volumes to their lack of consideration for the Western Market which they've not only voiced their disinterest in repeatedly but have shown through action time and time again with their refusal to bring special or international editions of their games to North America.

They pay the lowest bidder to do voice acting while not even bothering to offer the original Japanese dialogue. They refuse to bring over special or international editions of games. Yet they're still god in your eyes, while all you can do is make excuses for them.

Onimusha12 said:
Poor voice overs ruin a game. I'm sorry, the polish is what makes or breaks a AAA title. Voice acting is part of the professionalism of the game's final product.

Square-Enix, for the type of AAA quality product the try to boast, their utterly embarassing voice acting and localization stands in stark contrast to the rest of their product. This speaks volumes to their lack of consideration for the Western Market which they've not only voiced their disinterest in repeatedly but have shown time and time again with their refusal to bring special or international editions of their games to North America.

They pay the lowest bidder to do voice acting while not even bothering to offer the original Japanese dialogue. They refuse to bring over special or international editions of games. Yet they're still god in your eyes, while all you can do is make excuses for them.

same voice actors did Advent Children, FYI

Gamespot called the voice acting: quote "Amazing" 

selnor
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:
Onimusha12 said:
Poor voice overs ruin a game. I'm sorry, the polish is what makes or breaks a AAA title. Voice acting is part of the professionalism of the game's final product.

Square-Enix, for the type of AAA quality product the try to boast, their utterly embarassing voice acting and localization stands in stark contrast to the rest of their product. This speaks volumes to their lack of consideration for the Western Market which they've not only voiced their disinterest in repeatedly but have shown time and time again with their refusal to bring special or international editions of their games to North America.

So are you content to live vicariously through the opinion of one reviewer while damning an other? The english voice acting in Advent Children made me glad there was the option for Japanese voice acting. Its a pity Sony has enough common sense to realize fans might want both languages yet Square could care less.

That said, I agree we shouldn't cruxify this game before we see it in action.

Onimusha12 said:
kingofwale said:
Onimusha12 said:

So are you content to live vicariously through the opinion of one reviewer while damning an other? The english voice acting in Advent Children made me glad there was the option for Japanese voice acting. Its a pity Sony has enough common sense to realize fans might want both languages yet Square could care less.

How about if I am cotent to live vicariously throughthe opinion of 23 others while damning one?

selnor
Episode 2: