By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PSVR May Come To PC

GribbleGrunger said:
mornelithe said:

Makes little sense honestly, especially for the researcher side of it.  PS4 isn't an open platform, PC is. 

And none of us can really say with any certainty how many PC owners, who are interested in VR, would break down to buy a PS4 just for the VR experience.  Sony would also be potentially pissing off every single one of those individuals by coming out with the PC support later. (Aka a super dick move by Sony...and it would be).

If Sony wants to continue to build it's good faith w/ consumers, it'll release w/ PC support sooner, rather than later.  Otherwise it reeks of the Alan Wake debacle on the 360.

It would now be a 'dick move' not too? LOL

Well, if they're saying it now, and then they wait ages then yes.  It would be a dick move.  Not Alan Wake level of dick.  But, still a dick move.  I'm not sure providing drivers for PC is that big of a task, and they could wash their hands of it after awhile, if it went open source.  Not sure what's funny, I never said it wouldn't be a dick move.

Around the Network

The non game stuff... like virtual concerts, vr livestreams from 3d cams, VR movies, ect all that needs to end up on PC via PSVR.

mornelithe said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Well, if they're saying it now, and then they wait ages then yes.  It would be a dick move.  Not Alan Wake level of dick.  But, still a dick move.  I'm not sure providing drivers for PC is that big of a task, and they could wash their hands of it after awhile, if it went open source.  Not sure what's funny, I never said it wouldn't be a dick move.

It's not a dick move, it's potentially giving PC gamers a cheaper option if they eventually do it. If they don't, so what, PC gamers have quite a few other options.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
mornelithe said:

I must have misinterpreted this then:

'Sony would also be potentially pissing off every single one of those individuals by coming out with the PC support later. (Aka a super dick move by Sony...and it would be).'

Eh I was kinda all over the place in that, agreed.  I think focusing on the PS4's VR experience is in their best interest.  However, I don't think releasing adriver set for PC impacts their PS4 sales much (if at all).  Granted I'm just guessing here so take with a grain of salt.  But, I think they'd be missing out on more PSVR sales, than they would be gaining PS4 owners.  If that makes sense.

But, I think saying this, and then intentionally holding the PC drivers back to try and force people who don't want a PS4, to buy one, is a dick move, yes.  But, it's their platform, they can do what they want.  I just think it's more consumer fiendly to open a display peripheral up to the wider audience.  Imo.

mornelithe said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Although, I agree that PSVR on PC would be the most optimal (b/c of how niche markets perform) but unlikely, I disagree that it would be percieved as a 'dick move' by many. On the contrary, it adds utility to the headset after purchase.

Even in the case where you buy the PS4 for solely the VR Headset, you have 2 VR capable platforms with one headset and you could sell the PS4 if you really didn't want it. And the PS4 doesn't become useless once you don't need it with the VR, as opposed to other forced bundles. (ergo Kinect)

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
mornelithe said:

Eh I was kinda all over the place in that, agreed.  I think focusing on the PS4's VR experience is in their best interest.  However, I don't think releasing adriver set for PC impacts their PS4 sales much (if at all).  Granted I'm just guessing here so take with a grain of salt.  But, I think they'd be missing out on more PSVR sales, than they would be gaining PS4 owners.  If that makes sense.

But, I think saying this, and then intentionally holding the PC drivers back to try and force people who don't want a PS4, to buy one, is a dick move, yes.  But, it's their platform, they can do what they want.  I just think it's more consumer fiendly to open a display peripheral up to the wider audience.  Imo.

Yes, I agree in the long run it wouldn't hurt PS4 sales but Sony will want (or hope) PSVR eventually becomes another reason to own a PS4. It's exactly the same situation MS find themselves in with Window 10 games and the dwindling XB1 exclusives list. Perception is everything and Sony will want the two pieces of hardware tied together for a good while. And they're not 'forcing' anyone to buy a PS4, they're offering a cheaper alternative.

The PS5 Exists. 

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
mornelithe said:

Although, I agree that PSVR on PC would be the most optimal (b/c of how niche markets perform) but unlikely, I disagree that it would be percieved as a 'dick move' by many. On the contrary, it adds utility to the headset after purchase.

Even in the case where you buy the PS4 for solely the VR Headset, you have 2 VR capable platforms with one headset and you could sell the PS4 if you really didn't want it. And the PS4 doesn't become useless once you don't need it with the VR, as opposed to other forced bundles. (ergo Kinect)

I guess I'm thinking mainly from a researcher/science/medical standpoint, I'm not really concerned w/ enthusiast PC Gamers (even though I myself am one).  People who're on a budget kinda thing. 

Though, I also don't see how likely it is you're going to have a large volume of people who are looking for a budget VR solution for their PC, and are instead going to spend double the cost of the headset.   But, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

JRPGfan said:
The non game stuff... like virtual concerts, vr livestreams from 3d cams, VR movies, ect all that needs to end up on PC via PSVR.

You can already do that for 20$ on your phone.

mornelithe said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I guess I'm thinking mainly from a researcher/science/medical standpoint, I'm not really concerned w/ enthusiast PC Gamers (even though I myself am one).  People who're on a budget kinda thing. 

Though, I also don't see how likely it is you're going to have a large volume of people who are looking for a budget VR solution for their PC, and are instead going to spend double the cost of the headset.   But, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

There are tons of other cheaper headsets besides Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

GribbleGrunger said:
mornelithe said:

Yes, I agree in the long run it wouldn't hurt PS4 sales but Sony will want (or hope) PSVR eventually becomes another reason to own a PS4. It's exactly the same situation MS find themselves in with Window 10 games and the dwindling XB1 exclusives list. Perception is everything and Sony will want the two pieces of hardware tied together for a good while. And they're not 'forcing' anyone to buy a PS4, they're offering a cheaper alternative.

That depends entirely.  For a smart consumer, their PC could be at a VR ready level, simply by smart upgrading over time.  But, spending $800, when it only has to be $400...isn't exactly cheaper.  You know?  I mean, if that's the case, may as well just save up a little more and buy the OR.

Either way, I do hope they release PC Drivers sooner than later.  :)