By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I think the PS4.5 wont run games at 4K but 3K

MortienGerrux said:

Next-gen is a stupid marketing term. Nothing is next-gen, those things are called "unreleased products".

I still can't belive how people and even news sites are still naming Xbox One/PS4 "next-gen". Those consoles have 4 year old hardware at this time. The 7870 in the PS4 was released on March 4 in 2012.

It would be best if there was a new generation of consoles every 4 years. And no games made for "last-gen" once the new consoles are released.

Now developers are seriously holded back by consoles, especially Xbox One. That's why games like Hellblade won't come out for it.

If you remember correctly, the Original Xbox was released in November 2001 and the Xbox 360 was released in November 2005.

Now that's a good releasing schedule to keep gaming evolving.

Next gen, quantum leap, whatever you want to call it, that is what consoles have always been about. They release over long periods of time waiting until tech eveloves to the point where the next console delivers something the last could not. The time and power diference required to make that leap is taking longer and longer. 

Yes, I agree that new consoles should release every 4 years, but not every 4 years should equte to a completely new platform. By releasing new tech every 4 years, it allows developers to continue to push the envelope, and it introduces new tech to in house developers. This is good for PC gamers, its good for PlayStation devs, and it's great for consumers that are looking for a higher quality experience. Best of all, it makes sure day one purchasers get to continue to see support for their product for a good chunck of time, if they are that kind of consumer.

By releasing these iteritive steps within a platform, they will be able to keep games up to date with display tech, wireless tech, and the latest non gaming software needs. This will help the industry continue to grow, and lead to bigger jumps in terms of player experince when the industry and tech are ready to move to a new format of game development, including new rendering tech, new physics tech, new lighting tech, new control inputs, and much more.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
MortienGerrux said:

Next-gen is a stupid marketing term. Nothing is next-gen, those things are called "unreleased products".

I still can't belive how people and even news sites are still naming Xbox One/PS4 "next-gen". Those consoles have 4 year old hardware at this time. The 7870 in the PS4 was released on March 4 in 2012.

It would be best if there was a new generation of consoles every 4 years. And no games made for "last-gen" once the new consoles are released.

Now developers are seriously holded back by consoles, especially Xbox One. That's why games like Hellblade won't come out for it.

If you remember correctly, the Original Xbox was released in November 2001 and the Xbox 360 was released in November 2005.

Now that's a good releasing schedule to keep gaming evolving.

Next gen, quantum leap, whatever you want to call it, that is what consoles have always been about. They release over long periods of time waiting until tech eveloves to the point where the next console delivers something the last could not. The time and power diference required to make that leap is taking longer and longer. 

Yes, I agree that new consoles should release every 4 years, but not every 4 years should equte to a completely new platform. By releasing new tech every 4 years, it allows developers to continue to push the envelope, and it introduces new tech to in house developers. This is good for PC gamers, its good for PlayStation devs, and it's great for consumers that are looking for a higher quality experience. Best of all, it makes sure day one purchasers get to continue to see support for their product for a good chunck of time, if they are that kind of consumer.

By releasing these iteritive steps within a platform, they will be able to keep games up to date with display tech, wireless tech, and the latest non gaming software needs. This will help the industry continue to grow, and lead to bigger jumps in terms of player experince when the industry and tech are ready to move to a new format of game development, including new rendering tech, new physics tech, new lighting tech, new control inputs, and much more.

If only a open platform existed that wasn't owned by a single corporatition. Where gamers could happily play together no matter what platform they chose. Desktop, laptop, "TvBox", or even mobile. Where games weren't hold hostage, but where everyone could enjoy them. Where developers weren't hold back by ancient technology. Where talented developers like Naughty Dog could spend most of their time making the game, rather then squishing the most out of old hardware. Where players would discuss about games and new technology instead of fighting which plastic box is the best.

Hmm I wonder what we should call that platform. I think PC is a good word for it. Personal console. Yeah doesn't sound too bad.

But seriously, it would be the best for gaming if they released a new PS4.5 and a new X1.5 and then slowly dropping support for these current versions. Look at games like GTA 5 and you can clearly see they were made for last-gen especially when looking at things like AI of NPC's.

MortienGerrux said:
Mummelmann said:

Alienware?! No thanks!

Prices aren't the same all over the world, it got me a single EVGA 980Ti, a 5820k and 16Gb or DDR4 RAM (and SSD for both system and games).  A rig with triple Titan X and fitting processor will easily set you back 7000$ or so here.

Good old Australia prices :P

unlikely. I am in Australia, that system costs about $2500-$3000 Australian depending on size of SSD.

The 2 main problems is this.
#1 Price.
Unless they plan on doing a PS3 and sell a console well over $1000.
#2 TVs range from 1080p, 1440p monitors and 4k. 3k is alienating the market. No one will bother because no one will have a suitable TV. If you have a 4k TV why settle for less? Waste of resources if you ask me.

KBG29 said:
HoloDust said:

Why would you think that? Even with 10nm in 2019 Sony will be able to have 8x PS4 GPU in PS5...if 7nm is mature before that, even more.

The amount of power needed to make a significant leap forward is just not going to be ready, or at mass market prices until then. For A PS5 to happen, Sony needs to have a 12TF GPU minimum although something closer to the 40TF that Nvidia is promising with Volta would be more of a real leap, they need 128GB of RAM, and an SSD that is large enough, and fast enough to fill that RAM. All of this needs to be done at the $400 price tag people have come to accept for a console. This is unless people start to put more value behind consoles. If consumers are willing to pay $800 for a beefed up PS5 in 2019 - 2020, then the next gen could start way before I am antcipating. 

I just don't think Sony and Microsoft can convince people to put down more than $400, even if these boxes become more versitle and see high usage than PC's, tablets, or Laptiops. 

Well, I expect ~ 15TFLOPS GPU to be quite realistic for PS5 around 2019/20, so that's significant leap. I know people have their doubts, but then again a lot of folks on this very forum didn't believe that something like 7970m (which is downclocked 7870) could be in this gen console only a year before PS4 launched, but that's what, more or less, we got in the end.

But I guess, if this gen has shown us anything, we'll just have to wait and see what kind of GPU is available for around $250-$300 some year and a half before PS5/NextBox.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
MortienGerrux said:

Good old Australia prices :P

unlikely. I am in Australia, that system costs about $2500-$3000 Australian depending on size of SSD.

Sweden, Norway (where I come from) is much the same.

Example from the store where I got my rig;

https://www.komplett.se/k/config.aspx?ConfigSystemId=11004

You can downgrade the CPU from a (frankly overkill) 5960X to a 5930K, remove the keyboard and even take away half the RAM (but 16GB of RAM on a rig running triple SLi is ridiculous) and get cheaper storage (or remove some entirely) but the price would still be in the 65.000SEK class, which is around 8000$ with today's conversion rates.

There is no possible way for me to get a triple Titan X build of any kind for the price of my rig. One of those GPU's alone cost around 1350$ here, so my 4000$ budget would be eaten by graphics cards alone. My budget also holds a 32" 1440p display.

Sometimes, people don't seem to realize how big the price differences are in different parts of the world.

PS: A pint back home usually costs around 11$ and a 20 pack of cigarettes around 12.85$...

It's going to be the option 3 guys. (Play 4K blurays).

Options 1 & 2 in the DF article are mostly clickbait stuff.

Ramadear said:
Ruler said:

its possible dueto the smaller size of the AMD APU. They could double the performacne at 500$~ price tag next year

Not happening. What do you expect a $400 piece of hardware to do?

I said it could be 500$. And again we are talking about next year

HoloDust said:
KBG29 said:

The amount of power needed to make a significant leap forward is just not going to be ready, or at mass market prices until then. For A PS5 to happen, Sony needs to have a 12TF GPU minimum although something closer to the 40TF that Nvidia is promising with Volta would be more of a real leap, they need 128GB of RAM, and an SSD that is large enough, and fast enough to fill that RAM. All of this needs to be done at the $400 price tag people have come to accept for a console. This is unless people start to put more value behind consoles. If consumers are willing to pay $800 for a beefed up PS5 in 2019 - 2020, then the next gen could start way before I am antcipating. 

I just don't think Sony and Microsoft can convince people to put down more than $400, even if these boxes become more versitle and see high usage than PC's, tablets, or Laptiops. 

Well, I expect ~ 15TFLOPS GPU to be quite realistic for PS5 around 2019/20, so that's significant leap. I know people have their doubts, but then again a lot of folks on this very forum didn't believe that something like 7970m (which is downclocked 7870) could be in this gen console only a year before PS4 launched, but that's what, more or less, we got in the end.

But I guess, if this gen has shown us anything, we'll just have to wait and see what kind of GPU is available for around $250-$300 some year and a half before PS5/NextBox.

From 1.84TFLOPS to 15TFLOPS lol?

3K is not a thing and the only screens that have used that meaningless term were 2880 x 1620.