By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do you want out of a "PS4K"?

to be powerful enough to run a visual impressive vr game. currently a lot of vr skeptics (not me) are criticizing that vr games don't look good.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Azuren said:

If Sony has the right idea there will simply be 4K versions of all games released, but nothing exclusive. The PS4K should also have excellent upscaling, but having a 1080 version of the game should unlock a discount for purchasing the 4K version as well.

There should definitely only 1 version of the game available. If developers want to make money off the 4k version, do it through a patch/DLC 

But asking money for it (on new releases) is like asking high end PC owners to pay more for a game then mid-low range PC owners.

A patch for tons of data? No thanks, these installs are large enough as it is. 

No, you're in the wrong thread if you're worrying about pricing. This is a premium version of an existing, affordable console. If you don't want to pay the extra for 4K, then don't.

potato_hamster said:
Azuren said:

Probably a whole lot, considering a PC capable of playing 4K games requires a lot of GPU. The real question is "Is this rumored machine going for 30FPS 4K or 60FPS?"

I'd honestly estimate $600 at the very lowest price, and $800 being the maximum. For a fully backwards compatible PS4, though, I'd personally pay through nose. I own many consoles, but I like to be able to keep my entertainment center relatively clear (which is why I'll be buying a Retron 5 soon to retire my NES, SNES, and Genesis).

You honestly think increasing the cost of the CPU in the PS4 from about $100 to upwards of $500, plus the needed enhancements to the 4K bluray drive (at least additional $50+, probably more considering you can buy a blu ray player for under $100 and 4K blu ray players are over $400), and the enhanced HDMI 2.0 port (at least $10), on top of adding a CELL processor, and the PS3's CPU (easily another $100), plus whatever else has to be engineered to make all of these components work, let's say better heat syncs, bigger case etc (add another $40 for ease of use).. That's an additional $600 in components at aleast. Plus all of the added costs of the R&D of developing the console.

You look at all of that, and you think "that should only cost $300-$500 more for consumers".

Impossible unless you expect Sony to take a $300+ loss per console.

Oh, we were referring to the dream console I cooked up, not the general idea of a PS4K? The addition of a Cell and EE would easily push the cost over a grand.

And I would probably still pay it.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Capable of running 4K games at 60FPS, HDMI 2.0, UHD BD-Player, 3D capable and able to play 3D content at 4K at 24fps for the upcoming 4K 3D titles, and excellent upscaler.

With all that I would easily pay $450-500 for the system, especially if it comes out before Uncharted 4 so I won't have buy a PS4 twice.

No exclusive games. Don't care about 4k

General consensus so far seems to be "Don't make PS4K exclusives alá New 3DS".

A fair request, and likely one that will be met.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

Can this PS4K or 4.5 or whatever not become the next NX on this site? At least the NX is confirmed to exist.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Wake up people. Sony isn't actually dumb enough to segment their userbase. The only 4K coming out of a PS4 any time soon might be blu-rays or other videos. This makes sense. It helps Sony continue to cement the success of blu-ray by establishing their new 4K format. So you'll see a new 4K blu-ray drive. You'll see a HDMI 2.0 port. You might see some slightly increased processing power to process and output a 4K video signal.

However, games will not be outputted in 4K. Too much processing power required. Too much additional cost for everyone involved, especially consumers. No incentives for third party developers to support it. It simply will not happen.

zero129 said:
Since Sony crushed my dreams already by not including a more advanced Cell in the PS4 i wont ask for that now.
All i want is the PS4's biggest weakness fixed and thats its CPU. A better GPU would be so great also. Imo both of them things wouldnt add too much to the cost of the PS4, and imo Sony could already launch a more powerful PS4 with a better cpu and gpu for the same cost as the PS4 right now, cos the cost of them more powerful gpus have come down since the PS4 launch.

This literally makes no sense. If Sony could make a more powerful console for the same price as the current one, wouldn't the current one be selling for less? As fas as I know they're only making $10-$15 on each PS4 right now. What makes you think their profit margin is substantially higher that they can improve the CPU and GPU to a noticable point and still sell the console at a profit?

I can't wait till this rumor is proven false. Anyone who really believe Sony is releasing a 4K system is just very ignorant of what it takes to achieve that and the cost involved. I'm not sure what Sony is working on that had devs thinking there is a PS4.5 but I know this is not true at all.

Azuren said:
teigaga said:

There should definitely only 1 version of the game available. If developers want to make money off the 4k version, do it through a patch/DLC 

But asking money for it (on new releases) is like asking high end PC owners to pay more for a game then mid-low range PC owners.

A patch for tons of data? No thanks, these installs are large enough as it is. 

No, you're in the wrong thread if you're worrying about pricing. This is a premium version of an existing, affordable console. If you don't want to pay the extra for 4K, then don't.

Its not about pricing its about logistics, seperating 4k PS4 releases  from traditional ones is completely nonsensical and unpractical for everyone involved  (consumers , developers, sony and retailers). Furthermore a patch for resolution and performance setting would not take up any significant amount of space unless it contains entirely new asstes. As it stands  PC versions of games (Where you will find a max settings you'd hope to see in PS4k-)  are not notably bigger in size then their console counterparts.