By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do you want out of a "PS4K"?

potato_hamster said:
Anyone who think that Sony can put out a 4K capable PS4 for under $400 has a fundamental misunderstanding of how companies make video game consoles and how those video game consoles make money.

Period.

"""Higher framerates, more details, better textures, better lighting, better effects, PC quality graphics in general. AMDs latest APU generation can bring 4K processing at relatively low cost, so a PS4K is very realistic.

http://www.eteknix.com/amd-raven-ridge-apus-will-combine-zen-polaris-hbm/

"""

It looks like I'm not the only one who truly believes this.

Go and check about the new Polaris Architecture ;)

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:
potato_hamster said:
Anyone who think that Sony can put out a 4K capable PS4 for under $400 has a fundamental misunderstanding of how companies make video game consoles and how those video game consoles make money.

Period.

"""Higher framerates, more details, better textures, better lighting, better effects, PC quality graphics in general. AMDs latest APU generation can bring 4K processing at relatively low cost, so a PS4K is very realistic.

http://www.eteknix.com/amd-raven-ridge-apus-will-combine-zen-polaris-hbm/

"""

It looks like I'm not the only one who truly believes this.

Go and check about the new Polaris Architecture ;)

Let's just assume that the architecture of this APU is similar enough to the PS4's APU that development of new hardware, developers kits, and developer tools to make the effort of improving games on these consoles is as cheap and easy as possible, and even then convince developers to put more time, money and effort into making video games when it won't lead to any additional sales. Let's just assume that GIGANTIC IF. Let's just talk cost.

Compared to a $400 APU, this graphics card is "relatively low cost". That could still be $250-$300. But let's assume it's half. Let's assume it's $200. That's over $100 more than the current APU in the PS4. However, you still need to upgrade the blu-ray drive, and HDMI to 2.0 (4K blu ray players are over $400). So those components likely cost $150-200 more than the PS4's current blu-ray drive and HDMI components. and we haven't even gotten into improvements to RAM, hard drive, cooling, enclosures etc. Nevermind all of the R+D, and development costs that have to be recouped with additional sales whether it be profitable hardware or more software. Let's ignore that.

So the current PS4 costs $400. You're looking to add, at bare minimum, $350 in components, and that is unrealistically low.

So please tell me how it's possible for a $400 PS4 to be upgraded with $350 in components, and it still cost $400.

Nothing, I don't want this to exist. It's a bad idea.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Dont know how anyone can think this will even happen. Is Sony really going to put themselves in a position to spend more money or take in a loss making a console with the sole purpose of running games at a higher resolution than whats currently on the PS4?

All this is because all of a sudden everyone has a 4k TV?

Anyways, this does fall in line with my theory that the PS5 will be nothing more than a much more powerful PS4 and that we will probably see cross compatibility between PS4 and 5 through out the life of the PS5.

I'd for any reason Sony does make a ps4.5...... everyone can kiss ever seeing a PS5 goodbye. cause 3 years after that, they will just make a PS4.6 or whatever they wanna call it. They probably just drop the numbering and just call it PlayStation.

potato_hamster said:

Period.

Finally. someone that gets it. I've been preaching this since this silly rumor first cropped up. 

Around the Network

I want it to look better than CGI-Quality's triple Titan X setup for $299.
This is a fantasy thread right?

Talking about multiple GPUs, why not system link 4 ps4's together for 4K gaming.
Sony did it last gen with 4 x ps3 to get GT5 running in 4K. I'm sure PD will be crazy enough to support this, wouldn't surprise me when they make an 8K demo running on 16 x ps4. 4K is so 2012.

SvennoJ said:

Talking about multiple GPUs, why not system link 4 ps4's together for 4K gaming.
Sony did it last gen with 4 x ps3 to get GT5 running in 4K. I'm sure PD will be crazy enough to support this, wouldn't surprise me when they make an 8K demo running on 16 x ps4. 4K is so 2012.

You mean Sony used a high-end PC to run GT5 at 4K and then said it was running on PS3?

Like this one?

Never forget:

MortienGerrux said:
SvennoJ said:

You mean Sony used a high-end PC to run GT5 at 4K and then said it was running on PS3?

If that was true where have they been hiding the pc version of GT5! That stuff running on pc is a 'bonus' of this gen, that GT5 4K demo was actually a thing. GT5 already supported 3 screen setups with 3 ps3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh8y9hwwKyY
1 fat and 2 x slim ps3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-18-off-screen-video-of-sonys-gran-turismo-at-4k-resolution-demo
"The screen tearing wasn't the same type you have in GT5, but it would tear both horizontally and vertically in the centre, basically creating seams that split the view into four smaller screens. It was pretty minor but it was there."
Pretty basic implementation, each ps3 renders 1 corner and some fancy hdmi switch puts it all together.

Funny to read the optimism from 2012
It seems entirely plausible, then, that a future console (ps4) from Sony might go that route (4K) as well.

SvennoJ said:
MortienGerrux said:

If that was true where have they been hiding the pc version of GT5! That stuff running on pc is a 'bonus' of this gen, that GT5 4K demo was actually a thing. GT5 already supported 3 screen setups with 3 ps3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh8y9hwwKyY
1 fat and 2 x slim ps3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-18-off-screen-video-of-sonys-gran-turismo-at-4k-resolution-demo
"The screen tearing wasn't the same type you have in GT5, but it would tear both horizontally and vertically in the centre, basically creating seams that split the view into four smaller screens. It was pretty minor but it was there."
Pretty basic implementation, each ps3 renders 1 corner and some fancy hdmi switch puts it all together.

Funny to read the optimism from 2012
It seems entirely plausible, then, that a future console (ps4) from Sony might go that route (4K) as well.

We are going offtopic but;

Where they hide the PC version of GT5? At the Polyphony Digital studio ofcourse.
How do you think games are made? Do they make it on a smartphone?

Also do you think 3 screens is somehow "state of the art" technology? When on PC you can play almost any game on triple monitors/TV's.

MortienGerrux said:

We are going offtopic but;

Where they hide the PC version of GT5? At the Polyphony Digital studio ofcourse.
How do you think games are made? Do they make it on a smartphone?

Also do you think 3 screens is somehow "state of the art" technology? When on PC you can play almost any game on triple monitors/TV's.

No, far from state of the art, just to illustrate that it was most likely running off 4 ps3 instead of a PC version, as GT5 was already capable of multi screen rendering on ps3 and on ps2 before that.

And sure part of development is done on PC, probably also Mac and whatever cad cam software they use. That doesn't mean they had a playable version on PC. If they did, GT7 would be out by now...

Back on topic:

PS4K ideally:
- Extra HDMI 2.0 port (use the other one for audio to non hdmi 2.0 compatible amps)
- Dedicated VR port (seperate box put inside)
- 4K UHD blu-ray playback with downscale possiility to full RGB 1080p (still leaves you with 4x the color resolution of blu-ray and less compression artifacts)
- Smaller form factor

The 4K UHD player depends on whether it is true that a current 6x CAV bd-rom player can read triple layer 4K discs. Otherwise too expensive. My gut tells me that the early $400 players are so expensive because of the hardware needed to decode the 128mbps h.265 stream with dolby atmos and dts:x audio, not neccesarily for the drive.
It also depends on whether Sony is actually interested in selling 4K blu-ray discs. So far Sony has been hesitant to release a player.  It seems unlikely that they'll announce a ps4 slim with 4K blu-ray player before releasing a standalone player, yet who knows.