By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do you want out of a "PS4K"?

So we've all heard about the rumored PS4.5/PS4K. Obviously we've also heard that the main idea behind this console is going to be higher resolutions. 

But what else?

The thing about a PS4K existing alongside a PS4 is you know that one is more expensive. One of these models will be marketed to enthusiasts, and one to the general public. This means that the PS4K itself doesn't need to perform well to be a success, because it's simply the high end option. That also means that we're going to pay more for it than we would for the PS4.

And that got me thinking: I wouldn't mind pay more than what most people might expect the price to be. Let's say, for example, they add in a extra Cell Processor. Or an Emotion Engine. The inclusion of these two items would allow for hard emulation all the way back to PS1.

So assume that price is an afterthought for the PS4K: What would you want them to add into it?

My choices would be a Cell, EE, 802.11AC wireless, and UHD Bluray support. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:

So we've all heard about the rumored PS4.5/PS4K. Obviously we've also heard that the main idea behind this console is going to be higher resolutions. 

But what else?

The thing about a PS4K existing alongside a PS4 is you know that one is more expensive. One of these models will be marketed to enthusiasts, and one to the general public. This means that the PS4K itself doesn't need to perform well to be a success, because it's simply the high end option. That also means that we're going to pay more for it than we would for the PS4.

And that got me thinking: I wouldn't mind pay more than what most people might expect the price to be. Let's say, for example, they add in a extra Cell Processor. Or an Emotion Engine. The inclusion of these two items would allow for hard emulation all the way back to PS1.

So assume that price is an afterthought for the PS4K: What would you want them to add into it?

And how much do you think this console would cost?

non-exclusive games.. games should like lower in resolution when put in the old ps4 and not "Only on PS4K"
that's the only thing i want..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

potato_hamster said:
Azuren said:

But what else?

Probably a whole lot, considering a PC capable of playing 4K games requires a lot of GPU. The real question is "Is this rumored machine going for 30FPS 4K or 60FPS?"

I'd honestly estimate $600 at the very lowest price, and $800 being the maximum. For a fully backwards compatible PS4, though, I'd personally pay through nose. I own many consoles, but I like to be able to keep my entertainment center relatively clear (which is why I'll be buying a Retron 5 soon to retire my NES, SNES, and Genesis).

NiKKoM said:
non-exclusive games.. games should like lower in resolution when put in the old ps4 and not "Only on PS4K"

If Sony has the right idea there will simply be 4K versions of all games released, but nothing exclusive. The PS4K should also have excellent upscaling, but having a 1080 version of the game should unlock a discount for purchasing the 4K version as well.

Around the Network

60fps support for Bloodborne

Azuren said:
NiKKoM said:

If Sony has the right idea there will simply be 4K versions of all games released, but nothing exclusive. The PS4K should also have excellent upscaling, but having a 1080 version of the game should unlock a discount for purchasing the 4K version as well.

There should definitely only 1 version of the game available. If developers want to make money off the 4k version, do it through a patch/DLC 

But asking money for it (on new releases) is like asking high end PC owners to pay more for a game then mid-low range PC owners.

Since it's going to be more expensive why not add backwards compatibility for all PS1-PS3 games.

And how about a better media player that can play every type of video file. Sad that there are smaller/cheaper devices out there that can do this but the current PS4 can't.

UHD Bluray support is a given considering Sony needs a player to dominate the market.
New Wifi standard would be good.
Better hardware for better graphics and performance, but every game is made with PS4 in mind, so no N3DS stuff.

Azuren said:
potato_hamster said:

Probably a whole lot, considering a PC capable of playing 4K games requires a lot of GPU. The real question is "Is this rumored machine going for 30FPS 4K or 60FPS?"

I'd honestly estimate $600 at the very lowest price, and $800 being the maximum. For a fully backwards compatible PS4, though, I'd personally pay through nose. I own many consoles, but I like to be able to keep my entertainment center relatively clear (which is why I'll be buying a Retron 5 soon to retire my NES, SNES, and Genesis).

You honestly think increasing the cost of the CPU in the PS4 from about $100 to upwards of $500, plus the needed enhancements to the 4K bluray drive (at least additional $50+, probably more considering you can buy a blu ray player for under $100 and 4K blu ray players are over $400), and the enhanced HDMI 2.0 port (at least $10), on top of adding a CELL processor, and the PS3's CPU (easily another $100), plus whatever else has to be engineered to make all of these components work, let's say better heat syncs, bigger case etc (add another $40 for ease of use).. That's an additional $600 in components at aleast. Plus all of the added costs of the R&D of developing the console.

You look at all of that, and you think "that should only cost $300-$500 more for consumers".

Impossible unless you expect Sony to take a $300+ loss per console.