By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the top 10 Biggest JRPG Franchises in Japan?

Of course after pokemon/dq/ff/Yo-kai Watch! These are by far the million sellers in Japan. But what are the top 10 after these monsters? 

Around the Network

Candidates I can think of (spin offs count)

*Persona
*Fire Emblem
*Mario and Luigi RPG (no paper mario)
*"Tales of"

*DS ( JRPG right?)

*SMT

Final Fantasy, Ys and Dragon Quest are the biggest selling JRPG franchises in japan in that order IIRC.

RenCutypoison said:
Final Fantasy, Ys and Dragon Quest are the biggest selling JRPG franchises in japan in that order IRC.

I said excluding ff/dq. Also they aren't the biggest. Pokemon/YW are bigger. 

How does Ys sell? I dunno about  the franchise. 

Monster Hunter counts as an RPG, an Action JRPG, so I'd count it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Persona/SMT, Fire Emblem, and Tales Of come to mind.

bet: lost

Hm not sure but I know Final Fantasy is easily the biggest of any JRPG franchise xD

Darwinianevolution said:

Yeah, but I think that the kind of game says a lot about whether you could label it as a JRPG. I wouldn't call Monster Hunter a JRPG, regardless of whether it came from Japan or not. Most ARPGs are more western style, really.

bet: lost

HylianYoshi said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Yeah, but I think that the kind of game says a lot about whether you could label it as a JRPG. I wouldn't call Monster Hunter a JRPG, regardless of whether it came from Japan or not. Most ARPGs are more western style, really.

The term Role Playing Game is really vague, when you think about it. Technically, you are role playing in CoD as a soldier who shoots people and saves the  world, but noone would say a CoD game is a RPG.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Persona