By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FORMULA 1 2016 Mexico.. Or that piece of land beyond the Wall

JEMC said:
Angelus said:

Well no....it doesn't happen in every country. Certainly not to the same extent. That's why I find it particularly frustrating here. I grew up mostly in the US, and the way they cover sports over there is just so much more professional, frankly. Now you can make the argument to me that most of the major sports we watch over there are "All American," which is true to a degree, but there's still many international players competing in them (more every year really), and the media there always props them up. You never get the sense they're just talking about them for a minute, cus they have to, but would much rather be talking about the next best American doing the same thing. The only things that matter are performance, and character. 

Now obviously it's different when it comes to the Olympics, because that's literally all about country, but outside of that, I assure you sports coverage in the US is vastly different from at least what it is here in Germany. I don't know what it's like in other countries, as I have no reference there.

And watching F1 over there was like the greatest thing ever, because even though they briefly had Scott Speed in there (who even they didn't give a shit about), they had absolutely no horses in that race so to speak lol. All you got was raw reporting and coverage from people that were clearly into the sport. 

Here all I get is Vettel this, Vettel that, Rosberg won again...that's nice....too bad he's not Vettel though. Oh look it's the first lap of the race, let's do some championship calculations for our Germans if the positions hold like this. Who cares if we're just getting started. Oh look a non German screwed up! Ha! What a loser! Oh shit Vettel made a mistake.....I mean...no....not a mistake...he uhm....was just trying everything he could do make the car go faster and it failed him. Fucking car. 

I mean seriously. The coverage could not be more shit here

From what I've heard (I haven't lived in the US, so I don't have first hands experience), in the US most sports are seen as an entertainment, and treat them more "lightly".

From your words, in Germany it's like here in Spain, "journalists" mostly focus on the competition part and they only care about the country teams/athletes and about winning the rest.

lol they most certainly do not treat sports lightly

They take competition very seriously. They simply place a much higher focus on team and individual rivalries rather than the nationality of the competitors.

Around the Network
Angelus said:
JEMC said:

From what I've heard (I haven't lived in the US, so I don't have first hands experience), in the US most sports are seen as an entertainment, and treat them more "lightly".

From your words, in Germany it's like here in Spain, "journalists" mostly focus on the competition part and they only care about the country teams/athletes and about winning the rest.

They take competition very seriously. They simply place a much higher focus on team and individual rivalries rather than the nationality of the competitors.

Ok.

In any case, what happens ih Germany isn't an isolated case. Unfortunately.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Angelus said:

Ok.

In any case, what happens ih Germany isn't an isolated case. Unfortunately.

Ya, I get that. It's just so exhausting....wish it could be different 

Hamilton is simply too fast around Silverstone.

1-Hamilton
2-Rosberg
3-Verstappen

DNF: Button

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Rosberg will shunt Hamilton again.. And take himself out
1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Kimi

Dnf Riccardio. He really is trying way to hard to beat Max.. He's not comfortable the last few races..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Who would of predicted rain at the British GP?

I got my top 3 right!? O.o

JEMC said:

I knew it was too good to be true. Rosberg got a 10s penalty for the radio messages and has been demoted to third.

JEMC said:
JEMC said:

I knew it was too good to be true. Rosberg got a 10s penalty for the radio messages and has been demoted to third.

its all to have Hamilton replaced with Max as the new king...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
JEMC said:

its all to have Hamilton replaced with Max as the new king...

And yet, Rosberg is still the championship leader, albeit by just 1 point.

That said, I think the one who's having the worse time is Vettel. That "new kid" is doing wonders with the car he left two years ago while he and his Ferrari are... not doing so good.