By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Lifetime sale in Japan? + Can it beat the PS3 (10.4M)?

PS4 Lifetime sale in Japan?

3 - 4M 12 3.24%

4 - 5M 9 2.43%

5 - 6M 24 6.49%

6 - 7M 32 8.65%

7 - 8M 48 12.97%

8 - 9M 36 9.73%

9 - 10M 24 6.49%

10 - 11M (Maybe Beat the PS3!) 54 14.59%

11M+ (Beat the PS3!) 59 15.95%

It will even beat the Nintendo Wii! (12.7M) 72 19.46%

Total:370
spemanig said:
Jranation said:

Yeah. I personally think it will reach around 8-9M. 

Now we have to consider how will the PSVR affect in Japan? Is there a demand or interest in VR in Japan? Does the PSVR need a petting waifu or hentai game for it to get lots of interest? 

And if the PS4.5 thing is real. Will Japanese PS4 owners will upgrade? 

No and no.

If PS4 is at only 2.5m over there when its been out for two years, what would make anyone think they'd be excited to buy a 40000Y periferal for it?

Mobile is dominating over there. They don't care about power over there. That's a western thing. 

Vr is about novelty, not power. also I'd say there's a shit ton differentiating high ene consoles from mobile other than power. The type of games they receive is the primary thing. 

Around the Network

OP; one would really need to peak into a crystal ball to see this one. What's obvious is that PS4 has yet to peak there, without competition 2018 would likely be the systems peak year in Japan, problem is how will NX will affect its market share and stunt it's growth

Without competition it's definitely likely at the discrepancy of square Enix and other key publishers . If we get FFXV, Dragon Quest 11, Kingdom Hearts 3 and a major portion of FFVII (part 1/3) by holiday 2017 alongside a ps4 price cut and the usual flow of quality third party titles with even more Japanese PS4 exclusive thrown in the mix. Then it's a given, the system certainly won't die before 2020! But will these games end up on NX?

spemanig said:

If it sold 20k in Japan consistently every week, it would take until 2024 for it to reach 10.4m.

Now obviously it'll sell more some weeks and less others, but you get the picture.

It sells 20k a week without big games or holidays. Add that and suddenly the yearly average is considerably higher.

Actually I am shocked that I have to point that out to a long time member of a sales site.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

LesserAmygdala said:
It is so far outselling the PS3 in Japan in the same timeframe, and all of this without any of PS4's biggest releases even releasing yet. PS4 kept selling like garbage for a long time in Japan because of the lack of games, but now it is getting a plethora of games almost every week and the sales are ridiculously higher than what they used to be, and I'm sure they'll only get higher from here on out. PS4 can easily beat the PS3.

You could have replaced the PS4 with the PS3 in your post and it would have made perfect sense.  PS3 started to get much bigger sales later in this year of it's life because of big games and a price cut.  The sales stayed very elevated and consistant for many years after that.  That's the thing here, PS3 is just getting started, maybe that is true of PS4 as well but it's gonna have to be big.  NX is a total wild card in all of this BTW.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
LesserAmygdala said:
It is so far outselling the PS3 in Japan in the same timeframe, and all of this without any of PS4's biggest releases even releasing yet. PS4 kept selling like garbage for a long time in Japan because of the lack of games, but now it is getting a plethora of games almost every week and the sales are ridiculously higher than what they used to be, and I'm sure they'll only get higher from here on out. PS4 can easily beat the PS3.

You could have replaced the PS4 with the PS3 in your post and it would have made perfect sense.  PS3 started to get much bigger sales later in this year of it's life because of big games and a price cut.  The sales stayed very elevated and consistant for many years after that.  That's the thing here, PS3 is just getting started, maybe that is true of PS4 as well but it's gonna have to be big.  NX is a total wild card in all of this BTW.

Nope. What big games did PS3 even have? It was mostly extremely niche and obscure small games, yet it still managed to sell nearly as much as the Wii. PS4 already has many huge games coming for it that PS3 had no counter for (Kingdom Hearts 3, Persona 5, Dragon Quest XI etc.). PS4 is already outselling the PS3 in Japan and has a more appealing upcoming lineup, so i see no issues here.

Around the Network

The problem is that the PS3 era holded longer than this gen is probably going to last. It will depend if Sony releases a more powerfull PS4 to stratch out this gen. But then again PS4 having x86 architecture could last this console forever in Japan similiar like PS3 still is. What will hold back smaller japanese devoloper to support this console?
I think VR can be a huge in Japan and FF isnt even out yet.

So yes it will outsell the PS3

Shadow1980 said:

It's doing quite well right now and is already ahead of where the PS3 was after its first two years. Whether that sticks or not depends on various factors. I talked about this the other day in the Media Create/Famitsu thread here.

Do you mind if I post them graphs on my main post? I'll place your name of course! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

We must wait for KH3,FFXV,FFVIIR and other Japanes to launch and then talk.

Bookmaker for this thread.

OT: No it won't, should probabily sell barely more than 6.5 million. People overestimate the effect that some games are gonna do, expecially Persona 5, since all considering, it will probabily sell less than Black Ops III on PS4.

LesserAmygdala said:

You should make a comparision with the game released for PS3 and PS4 in the same time frame the difference must be huge, also helped the PS4 to release months after the EU/NA in Japan.