I'm gonna make a snow man. 0 0%

Snow angel for me. 0 0%

Time for some hot cocoa. 0 0%

Maybe. 1 2.50%

It's pretty cool... 0 0%

Finally, a no answer. 2 5.00%

Total:40
Mike321 said:

Came across with this article, the top 30 selling mangas in Japan so far (from November 23, 2015 to Mayy 22, 2016)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-29/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2016/.102636

Is any of the mangas you guys read on the list?

One piece the king of sales!!!!!!!!!

Oh, this is interesting. Among this list I've read Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Orange, and Yotsubato! I feel like I should  be reading more as the thread maker xD Though I do recognize a lot of the manga listed here as being really good and popular.

The main manga I follow now isn't even on the list though : S I thought before it was fairly popular.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
pokoko said:

I've started reading Love Hina.  It's pretty good, though I really can't imagine reading all of it.  Like Korean melodramas that last 100 episodes, a lot of long-running sit-com manga just runs back over its self on a continuous basis.  I'll read until it hits the part where the mangaka is obviously thinking "this is longer than I planned and I don't know what to do next".

I also need to catch back up with Himegoto - Juukyuusai no Seifuku.  It wasn't updated for awhile so I fell out of it but now I see that new chapters are coming out quickly.  It's really interesting.  It deals with--maybe identity disorder is the right term?  The main character has been a tomboy all her life, to the point that she doesn't even know how to act like a girl.  Now, in the first year of college, she wants to try but she lacks confidence and her friend continues to tease her about "really being a guy", which is like a knife to her self-esteem.  She ends up meeting other people who, though they seem outwardly more "together" than she is, also struggle with who they are, including very self-destructive behavior.

It's adult, and mostly serious, and does have nudity and sex.  Crossdressing, same-sex relationships, and prostitution are also part of the story.  It's about people who are really mixed up and it's not always pretty.

By Love Hina, you mean the old one by Ken? (Of course there's only one Love Hina, haha...) That's going way back old school, haha. I remember watching the anime, which was pretty good. What made you decide to go back and read that?

The other manga you mentioned sounds like pretty heavy stuff, but interesting. I'm not very good with nudity though.... @_@

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Well now, I too have a new manga I picked up recently. I think it's an interesting read at least...

Anyways, it's called Criminale! and it's about a boy who is a criminal magnet. All his life he's been attracted by criminals from robbery, kidnapping, shootings, and probably plenty more you can think of (He gets casually flashed in one chapter as well xD ) He gets transfered into a new school and he has high hopes of making new friends and just having a normal life. However, he somehow ends up in a class full of criminals each with their own signature crime. And it mostly follows how his life goes befriending the people in his weird class, learning about them, and surviving the crazy things that happens in the middle.

I think it's pretty funny, good and clean over all.... except for one character who raises the bar quite a bit to mature material (with some nudity), but it's tied to one character, and thus not so bad.

Also, I am biased now since it has my favorite type of character design xD Anyways, so there's something new from me...

Dance my pretties!

Mmm Tokyo ghoul doing some pretty sweet numbers! Thanks to the anime, it got really popular.

Bleach below Gintama? Not good...but Gintama anime helps boost sales quite a bit while bleach anime ended a few years back. Once the last arc gets Animated, it should pick up some steam :)

Jojo is also showing some versatility for a 30 year old Manga :D thanks to that sweet anime adaptation no doubt.

My buddy keeps telling me to read haikyuu, might do it. He says it's basically kuroko with volleyball xD

Haven't commented in here in a while...but I just read Fairy Tail and I'm pretty upset....and need to vent.

Gajeel's death scene...part of me is thinking...oh it's Fairy Tail, he'll be back by the end of the arc. This manga is the epitome of shounen asspulls, he'll be back and everyone will be happy.

The problem is...I've read Hiro's first manga, Rave Master, already...and a very similar scene happens there with a former villain. The character gives up her life to keep her loved one happy, comments on all her guilt, and thinks about forming a family with the one she's sacrificing herself for. I really really want to hope that Hiro is trolling for tension...but after what happened in RM...I'm pretty worried that I just saw an actual main character death.

We'll see...maybe this will be resolved somehow. And if it isn't...maybe the manga will seem stronger as a result. Still...for now...I'm pretty mad about this development. Gajeel was my favorite character for a long time, and Gajevy one of my top 3 pairings.   

Seven Deadly Sins was also pretty sad this week...but it seems like nothing after FT. I might comment on it when I'm less upset.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:

Haven't commented in here in a while...but I just read Fairy Tail and I'm pretty upset....and need to vent.

Gajeel's death scene...part of me is thinking...oh it's Fairy Tail, he'll be back by the end of the arc. This manga is the epitome of shounen asspullr gives up her life to keep her loved one happy, comments on all her guilt, and thinks about forming a family with the one she's sacrificing herself for. I really really want to hope that Hiro is trolling for tension...but after what happened in RM...I'm pretty worried that I just saw an actual main character death. We'll see.s, he'll be back and everyone will be happy.

The problem is...I've read Hiro's first manga, Rave Master, already...and a very similar scene happens there with a former villain. The characte..maybe this will be resolved somehow. And if it isn't...maybe the manga will seem stronger as a result. Still...for now...I'm pretty mad about this development. Gajeel was my favorite character for a long time, and Gajevy one of my top 3 pairings.   

Seven Deadly Sins was also pretty sad this week...but it seems like nothing after FT. I might comment on it when I'm less upset.

Same. I'm pretty upset as well.

Gajeel is my favorite character and his pairing with Levy has always been my favorite. But I do think this is for the best, fairy tail needed an actual main character death. Am I pissed off? You better believe I am, but I can accept it. If they DO bring him back, I'll be extremely happy though and my ship can continue to sail with no worries. Also, Mest blew it in the end whe he used Brandish to attack the old man. I've never liked him and this just makes me hate him more.

Super_Boom said:

Gajeel's death scene...part of me is thinking...oh it's Fairy Tail, he'll be back by the end of the arc. This manga is the epitome of shounen asspulls, he'll be back and everyone will be happy.

The problem is...I've read Hiro's first manga, Rave Master, already...and a very similar scene happens there with a former villain. The character gives up her life to keep her loved one happy, comments on all her guilt, and thinks about forming a family with the one she's sacrificing herself for. I really really want to hope that Hiro is trolling for tension...but after what happened in RM...I'm pretty worried that I just saw an actual main character death.

We'll see...maybe this will be resolved somehow. And if it isn't...maybe the manga will seem stronger as a result. Still...for now...I'm pretty mad about this development. Gajeel was my favorite character for a long time, and Gajevy one of my top 3 pairings.   

Besides a lot of the fights being terrible, one of the main reasons I quit Fairy Tail was because of the Ultear situation and her fate.  Pissed me the hell off.  It was like the author tried to make the whole thing as bloody cliched as possible.  I was furious.  Yes, she was one of my favorite characters, but I still would have been annoyed over such an obvious trope no matter what.  The whole thing with the former villain having to suffer in order to gain redemption is so incredibly cheap and lazy.  More than that, it was ALL SO NATSU COULD GET THE FUCKING CREDIT.  I mean, the way it was handled was just like, "oh, she used to be bad, so this is inevitable."  Seriously, the mangka of Fairy Tail is good at certain things but when it comes to actually writing, I consider them to be a hack.

Shadow8 said:

Mmm Tokyo ghoul doing some pretty sweet numbers! Thanks to the anime, it got really popular.

Bleach below Gintama? Not good...but Gintama anime helps boost sales quite a bit while bleach anime ended a few years back. Once the last arc gets Animated, it should pick up some steam :)

Jojo is also showing some versatility for a 30 year old Manga :D thanks to that sweet anime adaptation no doubt.

My buddy keeps telling me to read haikyuu, might do it. He says it's basically kuroko with volleyball xD

Is that so about Tokyo Ghoul? I thought it was just overall popular. I had some friends tell me it was great and recommended to me o:

Jojo was quite popular where I lived in Japan, but that could be because the manga artist was from that city, so maybe it was part of their pride in living there, haha.

And yeah, Haikyuu was quite popular. A lot of my students had goods of it. It took over after Kuro Basuke ended xD

Dance my pretties!

psychicscubadiver said:
Cloudman said:

Haha, that sounds like a part of my dream game room, with all my games, and a shelf for all my manga. I have a lot of manga myself. Nowadays it's easy to read manga online, but nothing beats having the actual thing in your hands, sitting down and having a good reading session.

Funny you mention Pokemon Adventures. Some of us started reading it and report our readings here, though I've been slacking a little on it... I should get back to it. It's definitely interesting and personally better than the anime. I also read some of Ranma 1/2m which is also a fun read.

And I also read Negima before I kinda quit on it. It got too long and wordy. Plus the ending was so terrible. It seemed like the manga artist just got fed up and wrapped it all up in a nice bow. Too convenient. It looks like it wasn't the only one who fell out on it....

...Just like how I fell out of Rosario Vampire too. I am not alone!

Chuckle, yeah once a series has been going on a while I'll usually stop and ask myself if I'm still actually enjoying it. A surprising number of times I realize that I'm not. It happened for Negima, Rosario Vampire, and Fairy Tail so I stopped reading them in some cases only a few volumes before the end. God only knows how I managed to finish Naruto. Yeah, after getting into manga full time, I hunted down and read the rest of Pokemon adventure. I enjoyed all of Red's story, but wasn't interested in any of the sequels.

Yeah Ranma 1/2 is a pretty good read, Takahashi does wacky hijinks like a pro. Her new series Rin-ne is really good too.

I also like physical manga but I'll only buy it if I'm really enjoying the series and feel like I'll re-read it. Though, my judgement isn't spot-on as having all those Negima volumes will show. Still, having a whole bookcase full of manga is pretty nice. Thankfully, I've been able to find them cheap since between novels and manga I've filled four bookcases

Mike321 said:

Came across with this article, the top 30 selling mangas in Japan so far (from November 23, 2015 to Mayy 22, 2016)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-29/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2016/.102636

Is any of the mangas you guys read on the list?

One piece the king of sales!!!!!!!!!

Bleach is not doing too hot. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Nice to see ERASED in the top ten, it definitely deserves the sales.

Heard of most of these, but I've got to wonder about that Volleyball one in fourth. Huge sales for something I've never heard of.

Yeah, I hate having to drop manga I get into, but sometimes it just happens with some manga. Something goes astray with some, and I just fall out of them. I used to read some like Medeka Box and Yandere Kanojo, but something happened with those manga and I just... dropped them. I wonder if it's just me or if the manga is losing the charm it once had. I dunno... There's likely some more I dropped because I just lost interest.

Yeah, usually if I'm not enjoying a manga after 2 or 3 volumes, I tend to stop buying those, though that makes for some weird incomplete sets in my collection xD

Dance my pretties!

Shadow8 said:

Same. I'm pretty upset as well.

Gajeel is my favorite character and his pairing with Levy has always been my favorite. But I do think this is for the best, fairy tail needed an actual main character death. Am I pissed off? You better believe I am, but I can accept it. If they DO bring him back, I'll be extremely happy though and my ship can continue to sail with no worries. Also, Mest blew it in the end whe he used Brandish to attack the old man. I've never liked him and this just makes me hate him more.

I can definitely see it being necessary...it just really sucks to see it happen. I'm still not over it! I'll see what happens and figure it out from there I guess.

And yes, Mest is a freaking idiot. Seriously what the hell. Now I get why he tagged along so randomly.

pokoko said:

Besides a lot of the fights being terrible, one of the main reasons I quit Fairy Tail was because of the Ultear situation and her fate.  Pissed me the hell off.  It was like the author tried to make the whole thing as bloody cliched as possible.  I was furious.  Yes, she was one of my favorite characters, but I still would have been annoyed over such an obvious trope no matter what.  The whole thing with the former villain having to suffer in order to gain redemption is so incredibly cheap and lazy.  More than that, it was ALL SO NATSU COULD GET THE FUCKING CREDIT.  I mean, the way it was handled was just like, "oh, she used to be bad, so this is inevitable."  Seriously, the mangka of Fairy Tail is good at certain things but when it comes to actually writing, I consider them to be a hack.

I feel like I'm really hot/cold about Fairy Tail. I love the characters, setting, humor, and artstyle...but when it comes to actual story flow, it's pretty forgettable. Things often just happen for the sake of happening, and this instance give me that same impression. It really annoys me after catching up on One Piece, which has pretty much become my gold standard for adventure manga. The way Oda sets up plotlines 500 chapters in advance is a real far cry to sudden death scenes like this one, where we might have had one chapter of foreshadowing it. Very few things bother me more than forced character death for its own sake.

I don't mind redemption stories, but I do feel like Hiro overdoes it. Jellal still is punished for Simon's death, Ultear had to be removed from the story due to being bad, and even Laxus is still beating himself up over his attack on Magnolia. I think these type of scenes can add character depth...I just wish they would actually move past the angst at some point and stop suffering forever. 

I suppose...if I had to put things in perspective, this whole mess is nowhere near as bad as Naruto was for me. I had a lot of issues with that manga before I dropped it, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when a major character was literally killed off out of nowhere just to give the MC a scene with the main love interest. It was contrived, forced, and just plain awful honestly. 

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334