Fun times. 1 2.50%

I'm gonna make a snow man. 0 0%

Snow angel for me. 0 0%

Time for some hot cocoa. 0 0%

Maybe. 1 2.50%

It's pretty cool... 0 0%

Finally, a no answer. 2 5.00%

Total:40

I've begun reading Ballroom e Youkoso.  According to Batoto, it was "2nd place in the 2013 Manga Taisho Awards and 6th at the Taisho Awards 2015."

It's about a high school kid who gets bullied a lot and lacks confidence in himself.  Very par for the course in that regard, to be honest.  

Anyway, things happen and he ends up getting pulled into a ballroom dance studio and, for the first time in his life, he find something that he really wants to try.  Of course, it turns out that a very pretty girl who goes to the same school also frequents the studio, though she is on an entirely different level. 

It's quite good so far, though it also closely follows the "sports manga" formula.  Loser kid who seems to be bad at sport X but actually has hidden talent that only comes out during certain circumstances, and so on.  So far, it's certainly no Chihayafuru, but I'm probably judging it unfairly because of critical acclaim.  I mean, it's good, but I have this feeling that it would not have done so well had it been about baseball or cat ranching or something.

Has a lot of slap stick humor, surprisingly enough.  The studio owner is the kind of egotistical jerk who hits his students a lot but is secretly trying to help them reach their full potential--at least, some of the time.

Around the Network

So we will be starting our Let's Read Manga now

First up is Pokemon Adventures Red -> Yellow

Basically, one volume will be read per week and will post our thoughts on it

Participating
- Platina
- Blue
- Super_Boom
- PixelPerfect
- Cloudman

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Pokemon Adventures Red > Yellow

Who is this Blue person I don't know anyone here with that name.

Also, not verified, but I'm reading on Reddit that One Piece spoilers are already out, so we might have Jump updates this weekend. *paces*

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I read that pokemon one, it's pretty sweet actually. Don't remember much about it other than Blue is Green and Red had a bulbasaur :P

Around the Network

After reading more Ballroom e Youkoso, I can say that it does get much more interesting after it breaks out of that initially typical beginning.  Once it starts adding other dancers, it stops feeling like it's following a sports manga blueprint.  It's a dynamic cast of characters, as well, without obvious relationship lines, which makes it feel more realistic.  Three girls have been introduced and I'm not sure if any of them are going to be "the one".

Another thing I liked is that, even though the main character gets good quickly because of his ability to learn, it also reaches that point where it slaps him back down to reality when he's faced with dancers who are at the top of the amature scene.  There is a moment when I'm starting to get a bit annoyed because he's being praised and I'm thinking that he's going to finish at the top even though he just started but then, nope, the judges were also noticing his mistakes and scored his performance in a way that made sense.  I like that a lot more than a miracle rise to stardom overnight.

Also, Mako-chan is adorable.

And Shizuku is hot.

pokoko said:

Haha, I don't think Platters meant it that way. I think the majority vote was for Red.

Personally, I just went with red for order purposes.

Also, you're going at quite a fast pace in manga reading. I've only been able to read a bit these days.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
pokoko said:

Haha, I don't think Platters meant it that way. I think the majority vote was for Red.

Also, you're going at quite a fast pace in manga reading. I've only been able to read a bit these days.

I meant Red -> Yellow, like the arrow  1 > 2 > 3 but was unclear :p

Is one chapter per day a lot? Each chapter is only about 18 pages long...

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:

I think it's fine...I usually read 3-4 chapters a day for most manga in my backlog...and a lot more if it's a heavy action series with little dialogue. 

And I think Pokoko was reacting to the manga choice and not really the comparison between Pokemon colors. Though I know almost nothing about the manga so maybe I'm mistaken.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Platina said:
Cloudman said:

I'm fine with 1 chap a day. Easy Peasy.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread