By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want from the eventual Pokken 2?

Yea the type advantage really isn't a good idea for a fighter, it would limit the player's choice too much.
They got the game mechanics down, all they need is more characters. A LOT more.

A good story would be a nice bonus, but not something crucial for a fighting game.

Around the Network

I guess the difference between me and you all is I don't see pokken as a fighting game, but a competitive action game, just like the actual makers of this game.

Someone mentioned that I want pokken to be an RPG. I don't. Types have nothing to do with being an RPG. Types are one of the most important aspects of Pokemon. The entirety of their single player campaign is devoted to teaching new players about types. Every single Pokémon game that has ever come out has dedicated at least 12 major characters to the concept of Pokémon types. Pokemon dedicates the first nine Pokemon designs of every generation to introducing new players to the importance of type match ups. Types are a core, integral aspect of Pokémon.

Someone else mentioned that types would force players to choose Pokémon they might not normally choose in order to counter certain match ups. Um, duh. That's what it's supposed to do. This is Pokémon. It's called having a balanced team.

Someone else mentioned that types only work on Pokemon because it's turn based. Not true. Not only are there plenty of action games that use type advantages, but tagging would allow the player to do the same things they would be able to do in turn based battles. Of course there would be switching. That's a good thing. Unlike in the RPGs, you wouldn't be shit out of luck when you had a bad match up because stats aren't the only thing that matters. Player skill is. Unlike with the RPGs, every Pokemon here can counter and protect and evade every move while still having a full moveset of attacks.

Someone said that the same thing didn't work for smash's Pokemon Trainer. That's because it only affected three characters in a roster of close to 40 fighters and only, to my knowledge, acknowledged three types. Obviously it wasn't going to work.

Also Paarar is right about Toxicroak. Very necessary addition. Throw in electivire.

spemanig said:
I guess the difference between me and you all is I don't see pokken as a fighting game, but a competitive action game, just like the actual makers of this game.

Then I guess it was mistake to put the game on EVO . Not sure why you think is a competitive action game but it's not, it's a fighting game.

Type weakness would be an interesting mechanic, but it would not work in a fighting game

More characters is a must, but not too many that it makes obvious tiers (like Smash)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Dravenet7 said:

1. Well, only the last to games of Naruto boasted 100 characters iirc, but its more of a story driven and aesthetic franchise. Not to say the games are bad because I like them, but they it isn't really that good as a fighting game franchise and some characters are significantly better than many otherrs.

More importantly though, why compare it to Smash? I thought it wasn't a fighting game...

I defintely agree with this point though

2. Eh I guess. Naruto needs to pad out its game with story becaues its based off the anime, and again, its not that good as a fighting game. Im not exactly on board with this one, but as long as they focus on making the game really good I'm ok with it.

3. Ehhhhhhh... Not feeling it.

4. What? No. Come on man, its a fighting game. it has to be balanced. Unless you want to tie type (water/ghost/etc) with...type (standard/speed/etc). Then I don't see this working by a mile (even with the example I gave I'd be against it.

5. Sounds like a continuation of # 2, to which I say: eh I guess.

6. Yes, yes 1000 times yes.

It's not a fighting game, neither this, and even if it was, there's nothing saying I can't compare two games of different genres when they have something in common.

To point 4, I still don't get the aversion. Even if it WAS a fighting game, match ups already exist in all of them. Literally every competitive game has ever existed with a roster of characters has characters that match up better than others. It's part of how these games balance out. All this does is add another layer to how those match ups turn out.

And again, I'm talking about a 10% or 20% difference in damage. This isn't a monumental, match-deciding difference. It's really not a big deal.

Around the Network
Mike321 said:

Then I guess it was mistake to put the game on EVO . Not sure why you think is a competitive action game but it's not, it's a fighting game.

Smash is in EVO and it isn't a fighting game. Just because you're at EVO doesn't mean you're a fighting game. Being a fighting game isn't some badge of honor. It's a categorization. Pokken is a competitive action game, as per the words of the people who actually made the game. Hareda literally said that it's not a fighting game, just like Sakurai did with smash.

That doesn't mean it doesn't belong at EVO. It does. There is an overlap in the audiences that watch and play these games. That's all that needs to be there for a game to be played at EVO. People have to want to watch it there and people have to want to play it there.

RPG elements, maybe a world you could explore with some kinda story where the stages. Sounds crazy though. Catching and trading other pokemon perhaps?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

spemanig said:

Smash is in EVO and it isn't a fighting game. Just because you're at EVO doesn't mean you're a fighting game. Being a fighting game isn't some badge of honor. It's a categorization. Pokken is a competitive action game, as per the words of the people who actually made the game. Hareda literally said that it's not a fighting game, just like Sakurai did with smash.

That doesn't mean it doesn't belong at EVO. It does. There is an overlap in the audiences that watch and play these games. That's all that needs to be there for a game to be played at EVO. People have to want to watch it there and people have to want to play it there.

But smash got there because of the community efforts, Pokken made without even being release because is a fighting game and Nintedo wants people to acknowledge that.

And here are some quotes from and interview IGN made to Katsushiro Harada:

“As we worked on it,” began development director and producer of the Tekken series Katsuhiro Harada, “We knew we wanted to show off the Pokemon, and that led to implementing the [free movement] Field Phase, and we just really realized quickly in that prototype phase that we needed to just kind of create this whole thing from scratch. We even built an entire new rendering engine, and kind of came up with and entire new battle system for it.

“But it really is just built from the ground up for this entirely new type of fighting game.”

“The two things that every single one of [the pro fighting game players] told us was that the game was a lot deeper than they thought,” Harada said, “and also that it’s totally different than Tekken. Everyone was very surprised, coming from the name of Pokken. They thought it would be very similar.

“They said it was exactly what we had aimed for: being able to have this approachable fighting game you can really quickly get into.”

I checked the interview were he said he didn't considered pokken a fighting game, but rather a competitive action game like you said, but that was last year, this ign interview was this year. The game clearly exceded his expectations to the point that it's has to be consider a fighting game, even though that may not have been what he was aiming for.

Also, nintendo keeps refering to the pokken as a fighting game on the directs, so there's that.

1-more pokémon
2-make the pokémon types an alternative mode but such as a pokémon that'd take x4 damage (let's say garchomp getting hit by an ice move by weavile) deals only about 1.5x damage otherwise you should have a team system similar to that of the DBZ games...

no clue as i havent even played this version yet

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick