By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox is not going anywhere, lets rid this talking point.

KLXVER said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Mhmmm.... the disparity isn't as signficant though.

For example, the best CoD ever did on Wii was about 2.2 million. While BO3 is at 6.6 million and growing.

I'm sure you knew this already though.

Mario Kart Wii did 35million on the Wii. How much did Forza or Gran Turismo do?

And that's the thing, Wii did a great job at moving NIntendo stuff and other casual stuff. Nobody ever denied that.

But lets get back to my original point. If X1 was doing poor numbers like Wii U (not OG WII), then I acknowledge Xbox was in trouble. Fortunately X1 isn't in that situation and it does a pretty good job at moving 3rd party games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
RJ_Sizzle said:
endimion said:

yeap like i dis when Sega pulled the plug on console making... Back then I did some PC gaming though... But today no way I'm building a gaming PC, I don't find it as fun anymore... Zero chance I ever give a penny to Sony, not only I don't like the company, but I never like their console orientation and game line up in general.... Maybe Nintendo with the NX but unless they drastically upgrade their mature content or I get kids I don't have anywhere close to the interest I had back in the days for them... So yeah I'd quit until the next DC or XB like console.

Then quit gaming, please. If the box and the manufacturer is all you're looking for in your buying decisions, then maybe gaming's not for you. They call it corporate slavery for a reason. That Dreamcast anti-Sony rebellion has been poisoning the game industry for years, and to be honest, would today's gamers even enjoy the types of games that Sega put out then today? There's one thing to enjoy a platform for what it offers, but to stop enjoying your hobby because the plastic box you like isn't around anymore is crazy. Especially when there's so many alternatives still.

Usually the corporation you like isn't making consoles anymore because they consistently made awful choices that got them aced out of the industry.

No Sony has been poisoning the industry... Console war was mostly about games back then... Sony mcdonalized it... It's all about quantity now... Quantity of HW, quantity of exclusives, quantity of 3rd party moneyhating....

again I ain't an XB fan.... I just don't like PC gaming that much anymore, most of what Sony has to offer doesn't interest me as much as what is on XB in games and even more I services.... And Nintendo is too edgy for me... I'd probably get a Nintendo DS if Xbox consoles were to disappear...

but saying I am more damaging to the industry than Sony's strategy I have to utterly disagree unless you want to have a gaming market that looks like the fast food industry.... But we have worst than Sony when it comes to that, google android and apple iOS and their respective app store now greatly continuing Sony's degradation, of always more, always cheaper....

theprof00 said:
endimion said:

This is not wrong but definitely I oversimplified and not a financial investor stand point but more of an economic analyst one... Which often diverge in conclusion... For a find investor long term equity, brand equity, all sorts of various assets, sometimes dividend, potential branching etc are really big factors at play.. Cold hard revenue vs profit balance is way to generic in finance..

to all, I also strong believe PC gaming is not a solution, the PC industry has been under heavy fire left and right for a while now, I also believe console gaming as we know it is going the same direction... And I strongly feel like MS for once is anticipating this and Sony is betting on their mage to last longer but will fall behind eventually... The key question here is what will control our living rooms in the future and more precisely what will be our Mai entertainment go to devices.. Cloud computing, Onecore win10, continuum are all solution that enables MS to be ultra versatile across devices and will help them adapt on the go... XBox will be their entertainment output for the mass market whatever this will be and probably a cross all devices they can be on...

Obviously there are many more factors to think about, but at the end of the day, MS would rather have a box with a higher profit margin, than one with less. And that reflects in financial health.

Besides, it's not like I'm saying that ms are going to just abandon the console. I'm saying they are very likely to change their approach, and make a more profit margin driven box. They'll keep making xbo, release a digital only box, and aim to make that the main console. As the market shifts over, they will begin to phase out the original. But obviously, they aren't just going to stop selling xboxes. Anyone who thinks that is my point is likely just being very reactionary; ie hurt

yeap to be frank I don't know if anybody knows where that shit is going... It's all trial and error... Sony is keeping the old recipe but you can tell it's not gonna be the one winning long run it's past maturity.... Nintendo has been trying to reinvent it and has failed to to transform their success.... And MS is trying to blur the line between all devices... It's been showing since the first XB.. And to I think they have the right idea, they just have been struggling to find the right way to implement it the rich way since the XB 360... The 180 all that TV, now one core and continuum, the cloud, windows media player extender etc are all signs and I have to say mostly great ideas if implemented properly and not force-fed to customers... But the industry is shifting quite fast and nobody seems to have the wining recipe right now... It's fun to watch though

XBOX will become an apps just like STEAM.
Mark my words, in the near future, XBOX will dominate the PC market and destroy VALVE!
Anything can happen, especially when we're talking about Microsoft in here, the biggest and most powerful software company in the world.

endimion said:
theprof00 said:

Obviously there are many more factors to think about, but at the end of the day, MS would rather have a box with a higher profit margin, than one with less. And that reflects in financial health.

Besides, it's not like I'm saying that ms are going to just abandon the console. I'm saying they are very likely to change their approach, and make a more profit margin driven box. They'll keep making xbo, release a digital only box, and aim to make that the main console. As the market shifts over, they will begin to phase out the original. But obviously, they aren't just going to stop selling xboxes. Anyone who thinks that is my point is likely just being very reactionary; ie hurt

yeap to be frank I don't know if anybody knows where that shit is going... It's all trial and error... Sony is keeping the old recipe but you can tell it's not gonna be the one winning long run it's past maturity.... Nintendo has been trying to reinvent it and has failed to to transform their success.... And MS is trying to blur the line between all devices... It's been showing since the first XB.. And to I think they have the right idea, they just have been struggling to find the right way to implement it the rich way since the XB 360... The 180 all that TV, now one core and continuum, the cloud, windows media player extender etc are all signs and I have to say mostly great ideas if implemented properly and not force-fed to customers... But the industry is shifting quite fast and nobody seems to have the wining recipe right now... It's fun to watch though

well I don't think ps4 is past maturity, I think 2016 will be its peak year though. If they're lucky, mayb 2017, but most likely it's this year.

What MS does is anyone's guess, but I like their direction, they just tried to go after it too early. They were too ambitious I think, and the market wasn't ready. It's true that their idea was a very good idea, it's just that the market didn't want it yet. Their loss this gen will help them big time next gen though. I'm excited for all three consoles.

Around the Network

All console makers except Nintendo will have apps on PC to bottle feed these these companies. Wont be next gen but it will happen. Especially when they find out there games can sell twice as much being available on PC etc. The money is in the games not the Hardware.

There are plenty of PC gamers out there that dont own consoles and don't plan to anytime soon. This is the market MS is seeing.

I don't think Xbox is going anywhere, but I do wonder whether they'll be MORE aggressive and competitive next generation, or instead focus more on sustaining their platform without going to great lengths to try and outsell Sony.

Previous generations, as well as the beginning of this generation, were characterized by Microsoft seeking not just to exist/sustain themselves on the console market, but to 'win,' to gain marketshare, prominence, and ideally dominance against their competitors. The original Xbox gushed losses, and when it came time for the 360, Microsoft went at it whole-hog, even making sure to beat Sony to the starting line, while securing a variety of exclusives. Even their launch's major blemish, the RRoD debacle, was notable in that Microsoft unflinchingly swallowed a BIG added expense to protect their brand by offering consumers replacements with relative ease.

And their perserverence and determination actually GOT big wins in a number of markets, including the United States; it was hard-fought and hard-earned, and while I personally think they let the Kinect distract them a liiiittle too much in the closing years of the 360, they still ended the generation in a very strong position.

During the lead-up to the newest console generation, the Xbox One also looked to be trying for a certain amount of aggression, as they had secured a healthy lineup of exclusives, (keeping in mind especially that games like Ryse and Dead Rising 3 didn't even go PC til after release,) and even swooped in to snag Titanfall (console) exclusivity, much to the apparent surprise of the game's developer. =P With that brand recognition and fanbase as a jumping-off point, Microsoft could have made a strong push to further grow their slice of the pie with the Xbox One, either by increasing their dominance in their strongholds, or maybe even by making more headway in their traditionally weaker markets. With some publishers apparently fully expecting Microsoft's Xbox One to be the market leader- and lining up to work with them- all lights seemed green for Xbox's influence to expand even further.

Buuuut we know how that all went. Still, even in the early months surrounding the launch, when Playstation was building a consistent lead, there was still 'room' for a turnaround, at least in the U.S., and Microsoft clearly wanted that turnaround a lot. There were little bits of cheeky marketing like 'Destiny Perfume,' outright announcing a 'Free Game If You Buy An Xbox one!' promotion DURING Destiny's launch that would actually let you get Destiny + an Xbox One for cheaper than Playstation 4's Destiny bundle, all actions and strategies SPECIFICALLY intended to try and counter Sony directly. Then of course there were policy changes that would never have gone down in the 360 days. Removing the paywall on video apps and streaming? Indie self-publishing? Freaking backwards compatibility, in any form?

But, and it just might be me, it seems that for the last six months or so, they've definitely had a change of attitude. It may be because they've decided they can't DO anything to change this generation's momentum, at least not without sustaining heavy losses to the division's bottom line, so they've decided to just focus on their platforms entirely.

But it does raise the question, when the Xbox Two is on the horizon, will Microsoft be going back in swinging with all the vigor they had before? Or are they going to decide that fighting sony for higher marketshare 'at all costs' isn't going to get them anywhere?

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

KLXVER said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Mhmmm.... the disparity isn't as signficant though.

For example, the best CoD ever did on Wii was about 2.2 million. While BO3 is at 6.6 million and growing.

I'm sure you knew this already though.

None... They don't have Mario on it and they don't run on a $199 price tag... 

Kinect Adventures sold around 21M though... GTA V... Around the same on the PS3... 

AsGryffynn said:
KLXVER said:

Kinect Adventures sold around 21M though... GTA V... Around the same on the PS3... 

I didn't even need to check the numbers to know that's not comparable.

Kinect Adventures is 6 years older than GTA V

Kinect Adventures was also exclusive to the 360 for 100% of its lifetime.

GTA V released first year on 360 and PS3, second year on current gen, and third year on PC.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
AsGryffynn said:

I didn't even need to check the numbers to know that's not comparable.

Kinect Adventures is 6 years older than GTA V

Kinect Adventures was also exclusive to the 360 for 100% of its lifetime.

GTA V released first year on 360 and PS3, second year on current gen, and third year on PC.

Not my problem... nor the intention of the post...