By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think this idea would work (DRM Related)?

kitler53 said:
archer9234 said:

Many times I've seen the phsyical copy on amazon 15-20$ cheaper than the digital copy of an older game.

and i'm saying it goes the other way too.  until dawn is still $40 in physical but sony had it for $20 in their last sale.  far cry 4 is $20 still physical.  i picked it up for $10 digital over the holidays.  wolfenstine new order is $26 in physical and i got it for $6 on psn.  metro redux is $16 in physical and i picked up both metro games for $10 over the holidays. ect and so forth.  digital is damn cheap if you buy the during the sales and often enough times cheaper than physical.

so "many times i've seen digital copy on psn for 15-20$ cheaper than the physical copy on amazon" is just as true

Are all your low prices during sales. Or are they the normal prices. I was mentioning default prices.

Around the Network

Yeah, or you could just go digital only and avoid the headache of creating such a complex, expensive, labor-heavy, and cumbersome infrastructure that has no benefit what-so-ever to the publishers selling these games over the digital only alternative.

Nice try, though. 10/10 for effort.

What about after the gen is over and done with, how would that work when the servers are no longer up? How would you know if a used game is unlocked until you bought it and put it in your console?

How about they just keep things the way they are. It works already why fix it? You're complaining about changing a disc. Either go digital or learn not to be so OCD about changing a disc.

Bad idea.
Solution? stop being lazy and go chance discs.

JRPGfan said:
Bad idea.

Kids nowadays right ;)
Back in my day I had to turn or change Laserdiscs every 45 minutes during a movie, max that fits on each side. And those are heavy :p

But it does feel a bit pointless to have to insert the disc if the game is fully installed anyway. If people were simply honest and uninstalled it before selling the disc. What a silly notion. We have a long way to go as humanity.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:
Bad idea.

Kids nowadays right ;)
Back in my day I had to turn or change Laserdiscs every 45 minutes during a movie, max that fits on each side. And those are heavy :p

But it does feel a bit pointless to have to insert the disc if the game is fully installed anyway. If people were simply honest and uninstalled it before selling the disc. What a silly notion. We have a long way to go as humanity.

I rememeber trying to blow into NES and SNES cardridges for 10 mins just to get the game to work. Changing discs is easy peasy.

Aeolus451 said:
SvennoJ said:

Kids nowadays right ;)

I rememeber trying to blow into NES and SNES cardridges for 10 mins just to get the game to work. Changing discs is easy peasy.

Try loading the same game from tape 4 times, hoping it will survive the wrinkle in the tape at 8 minutes this time. It could take half an hour to get hyper rally to work. Cotton swabs and alcohol at the ready to keep the tape heads clean. Still worth it.

Meh, I'd rather go in reverse and bring carts back. They're superior to discs at this point anyway.

spemanig said:
Yeah, or you could just go digital only and avoid the headache of creating such a complex, expensive, labor-heavy, and cumbersome infrastructure that has no benefit what-so-ever to the publishers selling these games over the digital only alternative.

Nice try, though. 10/10 for effort.

Who gives a rats ass about benefiting publishers? I'm not a publisher. I'm a consumer. I care about what benefits consumers the most and having the ability to sell/buy second hand games does exactly that.

Changing discs or cartridges is one of the benefits of physical media for me. I like the experience. So get off your lazy fat ass and change the damn disc. It really isn't that hard to get off the sofa once you get used to it.