By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think this idea would work (DRM Related)?

d21lewis said:
Well at least I'm trying to save the world! What have you done? Huh!?! What have YOU DONE BESIDES POOP ON MY DREAM?!?

Guess I'll just have to go all digital. :(

The new Xbox slim which will be annouce this year at E3 will feature a 2.5TB discless consoles. Digital only future is just around the corner. Retail store will start selling gital code with disc version of games in store.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

i think you are making things overcomplicated.

playstation (and i think xbox) already are getting away with selling 2 license with every digital download. 1 is tied to the hardware (my primary console) and one is tied to my online account.

aka - my wife's account can play games i downloaded to my primary console even though she doesn't own them but not on my other console. alternatively - i can play my entire library on any ps4 so long as i'm connected to the internet.

then fuck,.. just do the same with discs. 1 license is tied to the hardware (aka disc) and 1 license is tied to the account.

i pop in a disc and (like a majority of the people out there) my console is hooked up to the internet and the console subtley make an account based link between the game and the account. now i can play the game without a disc just as long as i'm connected to the internet.

also, the disc can be played always if it is in the hardware internet or no internet.  so if live/psn go down i can still play my game,.. i just have to pop the disc in. but if the disc is played by someone else while connected to the interet the "online/digital" license immediately transfers to them.

1) i can play the games i own on disc without a disc
2) i can sell the disc
2a) the game producer has confidence that the online licenses will transfer if they do. hell, i'd bet gamestop would be willing to immediatly transfer the online license to them when they buy a game
2b) the used game buyer has confidence that they can buy a used game and play it and not get screwed by a seller that if fucking with them from ANY seller (not just a gamestop that must go through a process to guarentee the license has sucessfully been transfered)
2c) as the seller of a game i won't buy a game and immediatly resell it thinking i can make a profit knowing the digital license will be revoked if the buyer uses the internet which i'm almost certain will happen

yeah okay there can be some abuses: I have an online console and my friend has a console that is always offline - we can gameshare. ...but i can already do that (and do do that) with my friends and account sharing.

i think the system is elegant and consumer friendly and the potential abuses are minimal.

1. Why would publishers spend extra money to make each disc unique and maintain a database of who owns what, to only effectively double the amount of people that can play off each disc.
2. Why would Gamestop bother to unlock the discs?

They take the losses on digital game sharing since digital provides much higher revenue and has no resale value. If they wanted to make it consumer friendly you would be able to sell your digital games. There's no profit in it for the publisher, not gonna happen.

SvennoJ said:

1. Why would publishers spend extra money to make each disc unique and maintain a database of who owns what, to only effectively double the amount of people that can play off each disc.
2. Why would Gamestop bother to unlock the discs?

They take the losses on digital game sharing since digital provides much higher revenue and has no resale value. If they wanted to make it consumer friendly you would be able to sell your digital games. There's no profit in it for the publisher, not gonna happen.

publishers don't make discs independantly - sony makes them.  sony wouldn't upcharge the publisher on that anyways and  sony would keep track of the database too. and seriously that is a nothing cost.

gamestop wouldn't have to but they probably would anyways just to maintian good releationships with sony.

never said it would happen but it should.  happy customers are good customers.

kitler53 said:

publishers don't make discs independantly - sony makes them.  sony wouldn't upcharge the publisher on that anyways and  sony would keep track of the database too. and seriously that is a nothing cost.

gamestop wouldn't have to but they probably would anyways just to maintian good releationships with sony.

never said it would happen but it should.  happy customers are good customers.

Apparently such a service already exists for movies
http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html
It costs $2 per disc though, probably to discourage scams as the discs are still fully functional afterwards.
They initially tried a way to stamp the discs to make them unique yet abondoned that practice as too cumbersome.

So how about a service where you bring back your discs to gamestop and the game gets added to your account for $2.
Gamestop pays the publisher a second hand restocking fee and can then sell the disc again.

That's the only way I see this being possible. Publishers only want to make discs less desirable and cut costs wherever possible. No more manuals or anything, cutting holes in the boxes to save a bit of plastic. They're not going to allow discs to be used in two places at once.

SvennoJ said:

Publishers only want to make discs less desirable and cut costs wherever possible. No more manuals or anything, cutting holes in the boxes to save a bit of plastic. They're not going to allow discs to be used in two places at once.

i mean,.. yeah.  but i'm digital only just so i don't have to swap discs so i guess they got me to move.  worth it though.  people complain the costs are higher but i don't really buy it.  i see digital on psn cheaper than retail often enough.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

i think you are making things overcomplicated.

playstation (and i think xbox) already are getting away with selling 2 license with every digital download. 1 is tied to the hardware (my primary console) and one is tied to my online account.

aka - my wife's account can play games i downloaded to my primary console even though she doesn't own them but not on my other console. alternatively - i can play my entire library on any ps4 so long as i'm connected to the internet.

then fuck,.. just do the same with discs. 1 license is tied to the hardware (aka disc) and 1 license is tied to the account.

i pop in a disc and (like a majority of the people out there) my console is hooked up to the internet and the console subtley make an account based link between the game and the account. now i can play the game without a disc just as long as i'm connected to the internet.

also, the disc can be played always if it is in the hardware internet or no internet.  so if live/psn go down i can still play my game,.. i just have to pop the disc in. but if the disc is played by someone else while connected to the interet the "online/digital" license immediately transfers to them.

1) i can play the games i own on disc without a disc
2) i can sell the disc
2a) the game producer has confidence that the online licenses will transfer if they do. hell, i'd bet gamestop would be willing to immediatly transfer the online license to them when they buy a game
2b) the used game buyer has confidence that they can buy a used game and play it and not get screwed by a seller that if fucking with them from ANY seller (not just a gamestop that must go through a process to guarentee the license has sucessfully been transfered)
2c) as the seller of a game i won't buy a game and immediatly resell it thinking i can make a profit knowing the digital license will be revoked if the buyer uses the internet which i'm almost certain will happen

yeah okay there can be some abuses: I have an online console and my friend has a console that is always offline - we can gameshare. ...but i can already do that (and do do that) with my friends and account sharing.

i think the system is elegant and consumer friendly and the potential abuses are minimal.

Basically asking for a free digital copy, with a phsyical purchase. Which can work. Marvel does it with their comics. You buy the print. Nearly all of them have a digital code. I give out the code to my aussie friend. Which is a bitch to get comics from. So he wins out. And I still read my print.

kitler53 said:
SvennoJ said:

Publishers only want to make discs less desirable and cut costs wherever possible. No more manuals or anything, cutting holes in the boxes to save a bit of plastic. They're not going to allow discs to be used in two places at once.

i mean,.. yeah.  but i'm digital only just so i don't have to swap discs so i guess they got me to move.  worth it though.  people complain the costs are higher but i don't really buy it.  i see digital on psn cheaper than retail often enough.

Many times I've seen the phsyical copy on amazon 10-20$ cheaper than the digital copy of an older game.

archer9234 said:

kitler53 said:

Many times I've seen the phsyical copy on amazon 15-20$ cheaper than the digital copy of an older game.

and i'm saying it goes the other way too.  until dawn is still $40 in physical but sony had it for $20 in their last sale.  far cry 4 is $20 still physical.  i picked it up for $10 digital over the holidays.  wolfenstine new order is $26 in physical and i got it for $6 on psn.  metro redux is $16 in physical and i picked up both metro games for $10 over the holidays. ect and so forth.  digital is damn cheap if you buy the during the sales and often enough times cheaper than physical.

so "many times i've seen digital copy on psn for 15-20$ cheaper than the physical copy on amazon" is just as true.

kitler53 said:
SvennoJ said:

It goes both ways. On launch physical is cheaper over here, though not by much. For older games it depends.

However I don't feel like installing a bigger hdd or hanging an extra one on the console. (I move the thing around daily)
My internet is capped and not all that fast, big patches are enough trouble already.
Despite having to swap discs (go back upstairs if the kids took out DC again and put it in a random box, grrr) I do like browsing through my games on a shelf instead of on a screen.

Anyway choice is good and upgrading discs to a digital version would only be in the interest of publishers. Instead of charging $2 for it, they could even give you a $2 return credit. Yet I guess they don't mind the higher digital prices on release and are not jumping to introduce a convenient way to work around that price hike.

good idea tho I dunno if the technology to attach and de-attach serials to unique discs exists yet

SvennoJ said:
kitler53 said:

It goes both ways. On launch physical is cheaper over here, though not by much. For older games it depends.

However I don't feel like installing a bigger hdd or hanging an extra one on the console. (I move the thing around daily)
My internet is capped and not all that fast, big patches are enough trouble already.
Despite having to swap discs (go back upstairs if the kids took out DC again and put it in a random box, grrr) I do like browsing through my games on a shelf instead of on a screen.

Anyway choice is good and upgrading discs to a digital version would only be in the interest of publishers. Instead of charging $2 for it, they could even give you a $2 return credit. Yet I guess they don't mind the higher digital prices on release and are not jumping to introduce a convenient way to work around that price hike.

by me digital/physical are both $60 at release regardless.  ..well unless i pre-order via amazon for that 10% bonus but i got burned by amazon too many times. if i pre-order a game it should at the very least ship on the day the game launches not weeks later.  amazon really pissed me off wrt to game pre-orders.

my internet isn't capped and fast so i certainly have a different perspective there but i totally get you're side and fully support that consoles should still support physical even if i'm chosing to go full digital.

...and i hate my cases for the most part now.  i have around 400 dvd and that takes up too much space.  i've come to loath having the cases around for the most part.  i just buy too many games to want to keep a library of cases around.

still.  choice would be nice.  there is an occassion limited or special edition game released where i would kind of like to buy the disc for the extras but then i think about how i don't want the disc and end up not buying it.  sure would be nice to be able to link that disc's license key to my online profile.