By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Maria Sharapova Faces Four-Year Ban

mjk45 said:
tiffac said:
How the heck did she get pass all those test for 10 years and only get caught now?

Because it was put on the prohibited substance list for the first time , the yearly list was sent out sept 2015 to all athletes telling them that it was prohibited substance from jan 2016.

The question is why was she on a medication proscribed for  a max 4- 6 weeks for ten years.

Oh! Well that makes sense.

So what she was taking was not considered prohibited before. Would that mean they can only punish her for this years violation?

Around the Network

Considering it was only banned recently, I hardly see the issue here.

tiffac said:
mjk45 said:

Because it was put on the prohibited substance list for the first time , the yearly list was sent out sept 2015 to all athletes telling them that it was prohibited substance from jan 2016.

The question is why was she on a medication proscribed for  a max 4- 6 weeks for ten years.

Oh! Well that makes sense.

So what she was taking was not considered prohibited before. Would that mean they can only punish her for this years violation?

Yes that's correct the bottom line is as a athlete you are responsible for what goes in your body ,  the reason is it stops people making excuses about how they tested positive , but in this case she was notified and didn't bother reading it.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

spurgeonryan said:
It was just recently banned and they are making this big of issue^?

who's making an issue of it it's no different than anyone else failing a test ,the only reason it made these headlines is her profile , and why would it make a difference if something is on the banned list 3 months or 30 years the list is updated every year and all athletes get one sent to them along with a 24 hr information line .she admited she got hers last year and didn't bother reading it.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

pastro243 said:
A 4 year ban would be too much IMO. The product has been banned since only this year and we are only 3 months inside 2016.

Maybe ban her this year

According to the rules if you intentionally take a banned substance it's a 4 year suspension.

Around the Network

Just let her play. A 4 year ban doesn't do anyone any good and effectively ends her career.

If the substance was so terrible and performance enhancing why was it legal for like 10 years? And yes meds can have like 3 or 4 different names so I can understand how a mistake could have been made here.

Darc Requiem said:
pastro243 said:
A 4 year ban would be too much IMO. The product has been banned since only this year and we are only 3 months inside 2016.

Maybe ban her this year

According to the rules if you initially take a banned substance it's a 4 year suspension.

Didn't know that, sorry

I thought it was a discretionary thing

The only reason that it being only just banned as of 1 January is if the last time she took the drug was in December. Technically, in that case she would not have violated the rules. But her confession pretty much sounds like she did take the drug in January, so she violated the rules and that's all there is to it.

There's really no excuse for her and her management team and her medical team to all plead ignorance of the change to the banned list. I bet her doctor and coach knew very well that a lot of athletes were using it as a performance enhancer, and that it would probably one day appear on the banned list. I would have expected they would scrutinise the banned list every year to see if it finally made it on the list and in each previous year they would have said "all right, one more year!"

As I said, I think he doctor or coach or manager knew this was now banned, but they decided to let her take it for the Aussie open in the hopes that she wouldn't be pinged for it, and after the Aussie open they would stop her from using it. If she can prove ignorance and also show that someone in her team knew about it and let her keep taking it I reckon she could sue her management team.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

mjk45 said:

It is NOT prescribed for a max of 4-6 weeks at all. In its most commonly used form for boosting stamina it is prescribed for 4-6 weeks in "apparently" much higher doses than she was taking. Many medicenes are prescribed for different lengths of time depending on what they are treating and according to her and her team it wasn't to boost stamina.

Personally it sounds like their is enough mitigating evidence to suggest her intention wasn't to cheat so she should probably get a reasonably lenient suspension/fine.

well at least by then serena may be gone :p