By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Maria Sharapova Faces Four-Year Ban

poklane said:

"For the past 10 years I have been given a medicine called mildronate by my family doctor and a few days ago after I received the letter from the ITF [International Tennis Federation] I found out it also has another name of meldonium, which I did not know."

Manufacturer: 4-6 weeks normal treatment for drug in Maria Sharapova case

Also: In 2015 2.2% of athletes used Meldonium, but for Russians it was 17% (724 of 4,316)!!!

Now, does anyone remember the big doping scandal which accused the Russian Ministry of Sports of covering up doping violations? http://bigstory.ap.org/8e4ac8f10f974df79dd490e7422f4855

It wouldn't surprise me the slightest if massive amount of Russians have been taking Meldonium just to enhance their performance for the past few years. And it also wouldn't surprise me if this was a worldwide problem to some lesser extent. Why isn't every medicine suspected of enhancing performance instantly banned?

The  question about why every suspect medicine isn't instantly banned , using Meldonium as a test case , what happens when  when a medicine is suspect it goes on a watch list , where it is then closely monitored by looking at the number of times it shows up in regular testing ,looking at geographical  hot spots in the percentages and other pattern of use data , in Meldoniums case the evidence was enough to then move it on to the banned list.

The reason for this is you can show you did due diligence when you ban a medicine and it wasn't just a knee jerk reaction , another thing is by doing it this way you get a better picture overtime on how these grey area drugs are being organised and administered , and that helps with detection and enforcement.

Around the Network

Take off her clothes! That will show her! Take off her clothes!

Should add to the op that it was only on the banned products list since this January..

The World Anti-Doping Agency had added the substance, also called mildronate, to its banned list on Jan 1 but Sharapova had failed to read the revised advice.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Taking a drug like this for 10 years straight certainly seems like its being used for performance enhancing use. It's therapeutic recommendations are for a short course, and there seems to be no formal recommendation for it's use in hypo-magnasemia or diabetes. You certainly don't take drugs long term to deal with low magnesium or to prevent diabetes.

So Sharapova may well be innocent in her own mind about why she was taking the drug, but it's clear to me that the people who kept her on the drug were doing it for performance enhancing purposes. And those guys would damn well know that the drug had been added to the banned list. They probably hoped that they could get her through the Aussie open and not be picked up, then take her off the drug before she got into another tournament.

On the whole, I don't believe she's told the full truth, whether that's because she doesn't now it herself, or she is coming clean as a cover-up I guess time will tell.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

mjk45 said:
TruckOSaurus said:
2016 is not a good year for tennis. After the match fixing scandal in January, this new revelation is gonna tarnish the sport's reputation a bit more. It's a shame because this is the only sport I truly enjoy watching.

As for Sharapova, part of me wants to believe her when she says she didn't know it was a performance enhancer but that might be due to the fact that I do enjoy watching her play.

So you watch tv with the sound turned down.

I did say I enjoyed "watching" her, not hearing her.

Signature goes here!

She doesn't look super hot anymore either! Noooo!!

Love her grunts too..!

Too bad.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
2016 is not a good year for tennis. After the match fixing scandal in January, this new revelation is gonna tarnish the sport's reputation a bit more. It's a shame because this is the only sport I truly enjoy watching.

As for Sharapova, part of me wants to believe her when she says she didn't know it was a performance enhancer but that might be due to the fact that I do enjoy watching her play.

I have (and have had for several years) a feeling Tennis is about to go through what MLB did back in the early 00's. I think the sport is dirty as dirty can get. Betting, PEDS... I think it's in serious trouble. 

spurgeonryan said:
She doesn't look super hot anymore either! Noooo!!

Love her grunts too..!

Too bad.

Well, she's 28 which is about 7 years past a womans peak as far as physical attractiveness goes (according to science). 

How the heck did she get pass all those test for 10 years and only get caught now?

tiffac said:
How the heck did she get pass all those test for 10 years and only get caught now?

Because it was put on the prohibited substance list for the first time , the yearly list was sent out sept 2015 to all athletes telling them that it was prohibited substance from jan 2016.

The question is why was she on a medication proscribed for  a max 4- 6 weeks for ten years.

the reality is this substance wasn't technically illegal in the sport until THIS year. she was tested in January the FIRST month it had been added to the banned substances list.

Its always been sort of a sketchy drug, only readily available in certain parts of Eastern Europe and Russia.

that said I think it was a very obvious mistake and oversight. the fact that it was only recently banned and is something she took for so long makes me feel like she isn't very suspicious or 'guilty'.

Accidents happen. generally I'm harsh on dopers but I don't think Maria in this case can really be considered abusing performance enhancing drugs when the drug was technically sport legal up until the EXACT month that was was tested and found with it. its not like a year had passed and she was still using it

she deserves a slap on the wrist for not being more careful and for not paying attention to the fact that it had been added to the banned substances list. I think she deserves a few month ban and I think that is exactly what she'll get 

this isn't some massive steroids bust or anything, its a small mistake