By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Maria Sharapova Faces Four-Year Ban

mjk45 said:
tiffac said:

Oh! Well that makes sense.

So what she was taking was not considered prohibited before. Would that mean they can only punish her for this years violation?

Yes that's correct the bottom line is as a athlete you are responsible for what goes in your body ,  the reason is it stops people making excuses about how they tested positive , but in this case she was notified and didn't bother reading it.

Wow! There is not enough facepalm in the world for that.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
mjk45 said:

Because it was put on the prohibited substance list for the first time , the yearly list was sent out sept 2015 to all athletes telling them that it was prohibited substance from jan 2016.

The question is why was she on a medication proscribed for  a max 4- 6 weeks for ten years.

It is NOT prescribed for a max of 4-6 weeks at all. In its most commonly used form for boosting stamina it is prescribed for 4-6 weeks in "apparently" much higher doses than she was taking. Many medicenes are prescribed for different lengths of time depending on what they are treating and according to her and her team it wasn't to boost stamina.

Personally it sounds like their is enough mitigating evidence to suggest her intention wasn't to cheat so she should probably get a reasonably lenient suspension/fine.

what else are they going to say, and  yes I should have said the standard prescription is a maximum of 4-6 weeks ,  but there have been doctors who have dismissed her reasons for taking the drug and I'm sure she could find someone to take a different view not that it matters because it all happened in the past. The trouble with these matters is we might never know her reasons for good or ill , even if she was doing it for a performance reason the worst you could say is it might be seen by some as immoral ,  but you definetly couldn't  say she was doing anything  illegal , that changed when she failed this test because once a drug becomes prohibited . how long doesn't matter 20 years or 20 weeks it's all the same  and it has to be that way otherwise you get excuses ans people looking for loop holes. that's why the rule states that each athlete is solely responsible for what goes into there body .

Poklanes links in this thread give a good insight into the drug.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

This whole Russian doping witchhunt is purely political.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

4 years seems unlikely for a drug only recently banned and of what she wasn't taking much of. She claims medical reasons as well right? I think 6 months at most.

Hmm, pie.

mjk45 said:
nanarchy said:

It is NOT prescribed for a max of 4-6 weeks at all. In its most commonly used form for boosting stamina it is prescribed for 4-6 weeks in "apparently" much higher doses than she was taking. Many medicenes are prescribed for different lengths of time depending on what they are treating and according to her and her team it wasn't to boost stamina.

Personally it sounds like their is enough mitigating evidence to suggest her intention wasn't to cheat so she should probably get a reasonably lenient suspension/fine.

what else are they going to say, and  yes I should have said the standard prescription is a maximum of 4-6 weeks ,  but there have been doctors who have dismissed her reasons for taking the drug and I'm sure she could find someone to take a different view not that it matters because it all happened in the past. The trouble with these matters is we might never know her reasons for good or ill , even if she was doing it for a performance reason the worst you could say is it might be seen by some as immoral ,  but you definetly couldn't  say she was doing anything  illegal , that changed when she failed this test because once a drug becomes prohibited . how long doesn't matter 20 years or 20 weeks it's all the same  and it has to be that way otherwise you get excuses ans people looking for loop holes. that's why the rule states that each athlete is solely responsible for what goes into there body .

Poklanes links in this thread give a good insight into the drug.

Not defending her one way or the other, she and her team could be lieing or telling the truth. But doctors etc that are commenting without even seeing medical reports or a history of working with her are just A holes seeking publicity. Given the circumstances I believe some leniency is appropriate unless the doctors reports etc can be proven to be bogus. 

I hate the huge amount of misinformation or so called experts stating opinions as facts. It also isn't the "standard perscription", it is the standard perscription if she was using it for stamina enhancement. The amounts she was supposedly taking are not supposed to provide that sort of benefit either. It is also incredibly easy even if you read the banned list to not realise you are taking a banned substance as they use the chemical names not the brand names. My wife a couple of years ago got caught for steroid use, she was horrified as she would never willingly take anything and she was a gymnast (not international level but still enough to be tested occassionally). It wasn't until much later that she found out it was what a doctor had given her to reduce swelling after minor surgery she underwent after an accident and even though she had the name of the everything the doctor had given her it wasn't obvious it contained banned substances.

Around the Network
WC4Life said:
This whole Russian doping witchhunt is purely political.

This. ^
And also Zika virus hysteria is a sign that someone just don't want the Brazil olympic games to be successful.

She may not know of it, and the medicine could be only for a shorter time use... but her doctor should know. So it is useless cry.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Meldonium was invented in my country Latvia by Ivars Kalviņš

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.