By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I'm worried for the future Xbox...

Are you worried about the future of Xbox?

Yes. Their vision is bein... 320 68.52%

No. Phil knows what he's doing. 73 15.63%

PHIL IS A GOD! PRAISE UPO... 19 4.07%

Console peasants just mak... 55 11.78%

Total:467

Around the Network

TheMessiah said:
potato_hamster said:

That's all 100% subjective. In fact in many cases your opinion goes against the predominant view of the game industry, especilly in Third Person Shooter (Uncharted or Last of Us), Sim Racing (Gran Turismo), Cinematic (kinda made up category, but Heavy Rain or Beyond), 2D platformer (LittleBigPlanet), Action Adventure (God of War or Ratchet and Clank or possibly Horizon),  and fighting (Street Fighter).

And, since you're counting the likes of Tomb Raider, there's plenty of timed exclusives that come into play: The Witness, No Man's Sky, Shenmue, Kojima Production's game, etc.

But I'll give you RTS (by default), and Arcade Racer (I guess, not sure what you're referring to here, but PGR hasn't been released in 7 years)

Your right. But this gen as follows MS wins in the genres with either no answer from Sony or they have released a game but wasnt as good.

This gen

FPS - Halo 5

TPS - Gears Of War 4

Cinematic - Quantum Break

Action adventure - Rise Of The Tomb Raider

Sim Racing - Forza Motorsport 6

Arcade Racing - Forza Horizon 2

Fighting - Killer Instinct

2d Platformer - Orin And the Blind Forest

Certainly if we take right now I don't believe MS loses on any of these. Of course I expect Uncharted 4 to give ROTR a run for that genre. Gran Tourism is only a demo this year so wont touch Forza 6 in the slightest. This is all my opinion of course.

If we use current metacritic scores for these genres on titles already released in the first 2 years the Xbox One wins all these genres quite easily.

So anyway, my point is MS are doing better game wiae than ever in the history of Xbox. We should be celebrating good times for Xbox.

Street fighter V has a higher metacritic then killer instinct. Raymen legends also beat Orin and the blind forest.

method114 said:
TheMessiah said:

Your right. But this gen as follows MS wins in the genres with either no answer from Sony or they have released a game but wasnt as good.

This gen

FPS - Halo 5

TPS - Gears Of War 4

Certainly if we take right now I don't believe MS loses on any of these. Of course I expect Uncharted 4 to give ROTR a run for that genre. Gran Tourism is only a demo this year so wont touch Forza 6 in the slightest. This is all my opinion of course.

If we use current metacritic scores for these genres on titles already released in the first 2 years the Xbox One wins all these genres quite easily.

So anyway, my point is MS are doing better game wiae than ever in the history of Xbox. We should be celebrating good times for Xbox.

Street fighter V has a higher metacritic then killer instinct. Raymen legends also beat Orin and the blind forest.

Firstly I'm talking about exclusives. :) Ryman is multiplatform.

Street Fighter 5 has 77 meta. Killer Instinct Season  2 is 85.

Oh metascores and list wars again..there is a way to appreciate games and content a console offers without going into this nonsense. I do agree that games that Xbox has to offer these days is looking very good.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Another thing, everyone - posting gifs/pics, without context, after a while, becomes spamming. Try to accompany some of those with your thoughts. :)

Awwww... :(

CGI-Quality said:
Lrdfancypants said:

That's a shame because your thread was extremely thoughtful and echoed what some of us see and fear, even.  It was a great read and I wish people would discuss it and add to it with their own thoughts rather than the back and forth.  Kudos for saying it because I think criticism, especially considering current direction and recent news, is what a true fan should do.  

It would only be locked under extreme circumstances. If things clear up (which they appear to be), the topic is safe. :)

That's good, thanks.  It's definitely a good and (honest) read from what sounds like a true fan.  That makes it extremely interesting. 

It's forums like this, because they've admitted they read them, that can be used to give constructive criticism regardless of which brand that criticism is directed at.  They all read forums and social media. 

This post, I believe echoes a true concern.  Gratzs to the OP.  

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Bandorr said:
TheMessiah said:

Firstly I'm talking about exclusives. :) Ryman is multiplatform.

Street Fighter 5 has 77 meta. Killer Instinct Season  2 is 85.http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/reply.php?id=214401"e=7800031

Killer instinct season 2 came out 11 months later. By a completely different company. As an expansion.

IE a very bad comparison to street fighter.

Also the same exact argument I've seen Snoopy make. Two very pro Xbox people with no avatars making the exact same argument. What a coincidence..

I'm simply pointing out that Xbox is far from any gloom. I prefer to use my own personal preference. But some on the internet only use meta scores as a gauge. Season 3 reviews will be around soon surely anyway. With better visuals for all seasons and more fleshed out story I'm hoping it will review better than 85. But it wont make much difference to my preference at the end of the day.

I remember the doom and gloom PlayStation articles around the internet in the first 2 years of PS3. Riiiiiddddgggeee Raceeeerrrr. etc. Now we can laugh hard at all those silly PlayStation is dead times of 2006/2007.

Same here. Xbox is doing great in good exclusives across a variety of genres. This year is another great variety year. I'm sure E3 will again deliver and focus on great exclusive games for 2017. Gamescom to.

TheMessiah said:
potato_hamster said:

That's all 100% subjective. In fact in many cases your opinion goes against the predominant view of the game industry, especilly in Third Person Shooter (Uncharted or Last of Us), Sim Racing (Gran Turismo), Cinematic (kinda made up category, but Heavy Rain or Beyond), 2D platformer (LittleBigPlanet), Action Adventure (God of War or Ratchet and Clank or possibly Horizon),  and fighting (Street Fighter).

And, since you're counting the likes of Tomb Raider, there's plenty of timed exclusives that come into play: The Witness, No Man's Sky, Shenmue, Kojima Production's game, etc.

But I'll give you RTS (by default), and Arcade Racer (I guess, not sure what you're referring to here, but PGR hasn't been released in 7 years)

This gen

FPS - Halo 5

TPS - Gears Of War 4

It's all a matter of your opinion, and the fact that you seem to openly admit haven't  played any PS4 exclusives means the fact that you find Xbox One's exclusives better is pretty meaningless, isn't it? Like you think that Uncharted 4 will give ROTR, a game coming out on PS4, "a run". That is an understatement, but how can you say that when you will probably never play Uncharted 4?

Also, you seem like the first one I've heard call Forza Horizon 2 an arcade racer. It seems to be almost universally pegged as an simulation racer that's more shallow than Forza 6. Having less features, cars and tracks doesn't make it an arcade racer. But that seems like nitpicking on my behalf.

And if we use current Metacritic scores (we shouldn't, it's just favoring one person's opinion over another), SFV is ahead of Killer Instinct, and I haven't bothered to look the others. But I do know that there are 204 PS4 games with a metacritic of 75 and above, compared to X1's 128, so I would strongly suggest against using that argument. At least on the surface it appears that there are almost double the number of "great games" on PS4 based on sheer metacritic numbers, which frankly shouldn't hold much weight in people's minds. Metacritic is overrated.

But to counter your point, it seems difficult to argue that X1 is doing "better than ever before" when the Halo series has taken a nosedive in terms of quality and sales, when Gears Of War is a shadow of its former self, and Forza games now appear to be coming out at a faster rate than Assassin's Creed games. Those have been the big 3 of MS for a long, long time, and nothing has risen up to take the mantle where those have faltered. There's hope for Quantum Break, there's Hope for Crackdown 3, but frankly those games could be just as huge of duds as The Order or Knack was for PS4.

Xbox is in a state of flux with no definitive direction going forward. It has to be nervous times for those Xbox fans out there. Hopefully MS can sort its self out and remain competitive, for gaming's sake.

potato_hamster said:
TheMessiah said:

This gen

FPS - Halo 5

TPS - Gears Of War 4

It's all a matter of your opinion, and the fact that you seem to openly admit haven't  played any PS4 exclusives means the fact that you find Xbox One's exclusives better is pretty meaningless, isn't it? Like you think that Uncharted 4 will give ROTR, a game coming out on PS4, "a run". That is an understatement, but how can you say that when you will probably never play Uncharted 4?

Also, you seem like the first one I've heard call Forza Horizon 2 an arcade racer. It seems to be almost universally pegged as an simulation racer that's more shallow than Forza 6. Having less features, cars and tracks doesn't make it an arcade racer. But that seems like nitpicking on my behalf.

And if we use current Metacritic scores (we shouldn't, it's just favoring one person's opinion over another), SFV is ahead of Killer Instinct, and I haven't bothered to look the others. But I do know that there are 204 PS4 games with a metacritic of 75 and above, compared to X1's 128, so I would strongly suggest against using that argument. At least on the surface it appears that there are almost double the number of "great games" on PS4 based on sheer metacritic numbers, which frankly shouldn't hold much weight in people's minds. Metacritic is overrated.

But to counter your point, it seems difficult to argue that X1 is doing "better than ever before" when the Halo series has taken a nosedive in terms of quality and sales, when Gears Of War is a shadow of its former self, and Forza games now appear to be coming out at a faster rate than Assassin's Creed games. Those have been the big 3 of MS for a long, long time, and nothing has risen up to take the mantle where those have faltered. There's hope for Quantum Break, there's Hope for Crackdown 3, but frankly those games could be just as huge of duds as The Order or Knack was for PS4.

Xbox is in a state of flux with no definitive direction going forward. It has to be nervous times for those Xbox fans out there. Hopefully MS can sort its self out and remain competitive, for gaming's sake.

Xbox has a direction. It plays games. and good ones at that. The only thing we don't know is any elaboration on upgradeable future of Xbox. That's it. what else is there? So some studios closed during the highest money investment in MS own Ip period. I'm sure E3 will show us what we have to look forward to. We already know we have a great year AAA exclusive wise this year.

I never said I haven't played PS4. And I also owned a PS3 last gen. I have played Uncharted among others. I preferred the game play and adventure of Tomb Raider 2013 over all Uncharted on PS3.

Again that's all opinion.

I can assure you, Forza Horizon 2 is not remotely a sim racer. not even close. Forza 6 is simulation. Horizon 2 is a bumper car arcade fest on multi surfaces racing at 200 mph where its impossible to in real life. FH2 is 100% arcade. Killer Instinct season 2 is 85 meta. Street Fighter 5 77.