By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Warriors or Spurs?

warriors

Around the Network

Warriors are tied for #3 in opponent field goal percentage.

#1 in opponent 3 point percentage.

They beat teams by over 11 points a game, (Spurs by 13)

But in the words of 11 NBA Champion and greatest winner of all time Bill Russell.

"The only statistic in basketball that matters is the Final Score."

They're 9-0 against the Spurs, Thunder, Cavaliers, and Clippers!!

And 55-5!

I'm pretty sure they're much, much, higher than the #20 rated defense and they've been on the good side of the final score more times than anyone else th see past 2 seasons including the Spurs.

AlfredoTurkey said:
The Warriors are like, 20th or something in defense which gets you beat in the playoffs. You can't win running up and down the court, letting mediocre teams score 100ppg on you and expect to win a championship. So unless they all of a sudden learn how to play on that side of the ball, I'm going with the Spurs if I had to pick.

Not that I don't believe that the Spurs couldn't beat the Warriors in the playoffs, but the Warriors are tied for fifth in the NBA in Defensive Efficiency. They're not a bad defensive team by any stretch.

PAOerfulone said:

Warriors are tied for #3 in opponent field goal percentage.

#1 in opponent 3 point percentage.

They beat teams by over 11 points a game, (Spurs by 13)

But in the words of 11 NBA Champion and greatest winner of all time Bill Russell.

"The only statistic in basketball that matters is the Final Score."

They're 9-0 against the Spurs, Thunder, Cavaliers, and Clippers!!

And 55-5!

I'm pretty sure they're much, much, higher than the #20 rated defense and they've been on the good side of the final score more times than anyone else th see past 2 seasons including the Spurs.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/avgPointsOpponent

They're 21st in the league as far as opp, the Spurs are first. To break that down, the Spurs are 7th in scoring and 1st in points allowed. The Warriors are 1st in scoring and 21st in points allowed. 

The Warriors record this year is very midleading. They remind me of that Patriots team a few years back that went undefeated in the regular season and lost in the SB. I was saying to everyone who would listen that they would get beat because their record hid the fact that they had no defense and defense wins championships. No one listened, until it happened.

I'm not saying the Warriors are going to lose, but they're not as good as that record says they are.

ps3-sales! said:
Why would you use that old as shit picture of the Spurs without Kawhi Leonard or LaMarcus haha.

Anyway. Warriors are much superior to the Spurs. Which is crazy considering I believe this might be the best overall Spurs team ever.

Because I wanted to include the trio. They're the main engine that the Spurs have been running on for 2 decades.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
The Warriors are like, 20th or something in defense which gets you beat in the playoffs. You can't win running up and down the court, letting mediocre teams score 100ppg on you and expect to win a championship. So unless they all of a sudden learn how to play on that side of the ball, I'm going with the Spurs if I had to pick.

Not that I don't believe that the Spurs couldn't beat the Warriors in the playoffs, but the Warriors are tied for fifth in the NBA in Defensive Efficiency. They're not a bad defensive team by any stretch.

It's not going to be easy for the Spurs or Warriors to beat each other(if they meet, which is highly likely).

Warriors will probably face Utah or Houston, a 4/5 game series. Spurs will not have that hard of a time against Dallas or Trailblazers. Damian Lillard will probably cool off by then, and the Mavs are not anything special.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Why not both? I enjoy the Spurs like I do every year while I get a bonus out of the Warriors doing godlike things like the Bulls back in the 90's, specifically their NBA record breaking year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/fieldGoalPctOpponent

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/threePointFieldGoalPctOpponent

They also take care of the basketball:
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/avgTurnovers

While pressuring the other team as well:
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/avgTurnoversOpponent

The Spurs are the #1 team in the NBA in defense, but the Warriors aren't far behind, in fact they are nipping right at their heels, in all of these categories.

21st in points allowed, maybe that's because they go up and down and play  a very fast paced style of basketball, (which is the kind that playing small ball is associated with). And because they are very fast paced, they get a lot more possessions, but on the other hand, the opposition gets a lot more possessions as well, so that's why both the Warriors' scoring and their opponents scoring are so high. The more chances you get to score, the more you're going to score, it's not rocket science, it's one of the first things you learn in Basketball 101.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Draymond Green the 1st runner up for Defensive Player of the Year last year when Kawhi Leonard won the award? And Bogut is their anchor and great at protecting the post, (it's the only thing he's good for to be honest).
Whereas the Spurs like to use up every second of the shot-clock as a way to limit the amount of possessions that the other team has, thus limiting the chances they have to score, plus the Spurs have Two Towers in Duncan and Aldridge, along with Kawhi Leonard, that can crash the boards effectively which limits teams to one possession and very few second chance opportunities.
Both teams are fantastic and they are the top 2 teams in the league in their own way. You say defense wins titles (which is true) and the Warriors have no defense (???). Last time I checked they are the reigning, defending, undisputed NBA Champions. Defense wins championships, so that would imply that they play defense (which they do)

PAOerfulone said:

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/fieldGoalPctOpponent

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/threePointFieldGoalPctOpponent

They also take care of the basketball:
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/avgTurnovers

While pressuring the other team as well:
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/avgTurnoversOpponent

The Spurs are the #1 team in the NBA in defense, but the Warriors aren't far behind, in fact they are nipping right at their heels, in all of these categories.

21st in points allowed, maybe that's because they go up and down and play  a very fast paced style of basketball, (which is the kind that playing small ball is associated with). And because they are very fast paced, they get a lot more possessions, but on the other hand, the opposition gets a lot more possessions as well, so that's why both the Warriors' scoring and their opponents scoring are so high. The more chances you get to score, the more you're going to score, it's not rocket science, it's one of the first things you learn in Basketball 101.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Draymond Green the 1st runner up for Defensive Player of the Year last year when Kawhi Leonard won the award? And Bogut is their anchor and great at protecting the post, (it's the only thing he's good for to be honest).
Whereas the Spurs like to use up every second of the shot-clock as a way to limit the amount of possessions that the other team has, thus limiting the chances they have to score, plus the Spurs have Two Towers in Duncan and Aldridge, along with Kawhi Leonard, that can crash the boards effectively which limits teams to one possession and very few second chance opportunities.
Both teams are fantastic and they are the top 2 teams in the league in their own way. You say defense wins titles (which is true) and the Warriors have no defense (???). Last time I checked they are the reigning, defending, undisputed NBA Champions. Defense wins championships, so that would imply that they play defense (which they do)

I'm not sure who said they have terrible defense. They actually do quite fine, even if an opponent were to over score over 100.

I never thought we'd have 2 teams this good though. I'm seriously expecting San Antonio and Golden State to reach 70 wins. It just seems like they will do it. 

Warriors have: Curry, Iguodala, Green, Bogut, Barbosa, Thompson, Barnes, Ezeli, Varejao(!), Speigts, and Livingston as their main players. That's 11 players that are at least decent enough to play a good amount of minutes.

On the other hand, the Spurs have: Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Leonard, Aldridge, Green, West, Anderson, Mills, Diaw, Simmons, and now Andre Miller. They also have coach Popovich. He brings out potential from any player, even ones people think are useless(like Kawhi Leonard).

Anyone who thinks it'll be an easy match is fooling themselves. San Antonio will only be blown out if they don't play proper defense, and the Warriors will be smashed by the Spurs if they don't play their offense good enough.

Tell you what though. If they play the way they did against the my abysmal Lakers, they won't stand a chance against the Spurs