By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to unify PC and Xbox One platforms, ending fixed console hardware

BasilZero said:
OneKartVita said:

But now it's losing them to the pc platform too so a guy might invest in a middle powered pc instead.  

Looking at the specs for the games - you'll need more than a middle powered PC to play those games.

Not even Ubisoft's latest games ask for the same specs XD - you know something's a miss when that happens.

Cheaper route will still be buying a Xbox One over a PC that can play MS games at 1080p (or higher) and at 60 FPS.

damn that sucks. so you need a high end pc instead of a middle ranged pc to play most new games? yeah maybe comsole is a better option then

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Ruler said:

Funny how people here and anywhere are praising Microsoft for thinking about doing that. The same people bashed Sony when they made similar comments
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/10/22/sony-executive-weighs-in-on-the-possibility-of-a-future-release-of-a-ps4-with-improved-performance/

Yes Also Funny how alot of th Sony guys who where praising it are now bashing MS.. Guess the world always goes in circles hey?.

Anyway this just proofs what im saying and thats that Sony will Follow suit.

they never praised look at my threads

Soooo It's a PC xD

Xbox vs steam and Nintendo vs Sony sounds good. I always thought 3 consoles was over kill and after MS lost alot of the headway it made with the 360 I guess they're moving on.

Microsoft is done with console business. And it's funny who are saying it will impact Sony. First of all Microsofts Windows store is full of lots of limitations and people won't rush to use it by abandoning steam. And Xbox is also done for. It's like old scenario, "Secret sauce" "Titanfall will be next COD" "24 hour DRM is good" etc etc. Some people are way to optimistic. We have seen how market reacts with slightly less traditional consoles. The dust will settle in a few years.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Microsoft is done with console business. And it's funny who are saying it will impact Sony. First of all Microsofts Windows store is full of lots of limitations and people won't rush to use it by abandoning steam. And Xbox is also done for. It's like old scenario, "Secret sauce" "Titanfall will be next COD" "24 hour DRM is good" etc etc. Some people are way to optimistic. We have seen how market reacts with slightly less traditional consoles. The dust will settle in a few years.

I don't think so. I think this makes Microsoft far more competetive. 

Soundwave said:
daredevil.shark said:

I don't think so. I think this makes Microsoft far more competetive. 

What you think doesn't match with the events of past. Off course you can think positively. But this doesn't change the industry nature. PC and consoles are different and they run in their own way. As for competitiveness MS is kinda out of the console race as their focus shifts in PC.

ironmanDX said:
Normchacho said:
Uhhh...I mean...Maybe this is just because I work retail, but people already complain that they feel like they have to buy new consoles too often. The general buying public is going to reject this.

What? We just came from the longest gen... Ever. Most have yet to even buy a new console.  Maybe you misheard? 

Nope, I hear it (especially from parents) several times a week. It's alot of;

"Sure, we buy the PS4 now, then before you know it they'll have the PS5 out!"

Most casual gamers wait to get consoles. A 2-3 year cycle means that unless you buy a console pretty much year 1, a new one is just around the corner when you buy one.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Soundwave said:
Aeolus451 said:

At some point, the phones will stall in specs because of price. Most people don't even bother with gaming PCs because of their price. What makes you think people will make pay even more money on a phone with specs that can play current AAA games? Do you know how expensive that would probably be?  

MS is only messing around with this because sony forced them into it and MS is trying to find a way to beat 'em in the gaming market or/and just add a lot more value to windows 10. Why would sony follow suit on something that's failed in the past (steam box)? Because MS is doing it? No. 

No one is forcing you to buy anything, just like if I have a iPhone 6, there's no gun to my head to have to buy the newer iPhone. I can upgrade when I want as a consumer. 

It's only in consoles that we're sold this crock that less choice for the consumer is some how good. With this model I can upgrade on MY terms, not when a corporation tells me I should. 

MS is wisely changing the rules of the game. Steambox is not the same thing because Microsoft can subsidize the cost of the XBoxes they sell, meaning they can sell them for a far lower price than STEAM ever could. 

All this means is soon Microsoft will have the most powerful console on the market with the best graphics and performance for third party games, not the PS4. They also may now have access to tons of PC content/legacy games too be unifying, and broader developer support in general. There will be no point in making PC-only games anymore, might as well make it work on the XBox at least. 

I highly doubt that MS is trying to turn their xbox consoles into steam machines or to where you can upgrade the console's hardware or play pc games on xbox consoles. It sounds more like they are gonna phase out xbox eventually and just make exclusive games for windows 10 using UWAs.

"We’re allowing ourselves to decouple our software platform from the hardware platform on which it runs"

zero129 said:
Aeolus451 said:

At some point, the phones will stall in specs because of price. Most people don't even bother with gaming PCs because of their price. What makes you think people will make pay even more money on a phone with specs that can play current AAA games? Do you know how expensive that would probably be?  

MS is only messing around with this because sony forced them into it and MS is trying to find a way to beat 'em in the gaming market or/and just add a lot more value to windows 10. Why would sony follow suit on something that's failed in the past (steam box)? Because MS is doing it? No. 

Your thinking about how expensive it will be now. Im not talking about now. What im saying is that phones are advancing at a super fast rate every year, where Consoles stay the same for 6-8 years. Clearly the is going to come a point where phones are going to outpace consoles if they stick to the old ways of doing things from a time when consoles used to be seen as toys. Consoles have come on beyond that point now. This is the age where people expect different versions of systems consoles are the only ones that needs to step up.

And Sony isnt forcing MS to do anything. The has been talk of this and rumors and other bits of news long before the PS4 and X1 was even out.

Hell me myself have been talking the longest time for how companys are going to swithc to a more service based platform and merge their eco systems.

This is the natural evolution of things. I hope you wont get too upset when Sony start allowing people to download and Play PS4 games on their Sony Tv's. OR Allow PSNow on their Phones even if they do end up adding PS4 games to it.

I also hope you wont get too upset when Sony launches the PS4K. An extrem elite system thats only for the ones who wants the best.

ugh. We'll see. Just sounds like more of that "consoles are gonna end" rhertoric.