By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which game has the best level design

I've been playing bloodborne again lately and it got me thinking how perfect the level design is in these souls games. Its probably the best I've seen in any video game. The way it flows and how all the secret paths join is sublime.

Id love to know what your guys opinions are on this or  other games with great level designs.

Around the Network

I'm not a big fan of the series but Metroid Prime has top-notch level design.

Out of all of them? Jeez man, that's a hard question.

Playing Super Mario Maker (both making and playing levels) has made me realize just how hard it is to create a Mario level that can be challenging, rewarding, clever, and fun all in the same package. So I'll give my sincerest and warmest compliments to the 2D Mario series (especially the pre-NSMB games.)

bet: lost

I'd say the first Dark Souls.

It's just a brilliant mixture of cleverness and flawless (minus certain spots) design. It invites and encourages exploration, thinking outside the box, memory and daringness. I have its map burned into my mind. It is really amazing how everything ends up being connected in a logical (minus certain spots) and organic way. Seriously, it's basically perfect in my eyes.

Boutros said:
I'm not a big fan of the series but Metroid Prime has top-notch level design.

I am a fan of the series and Super Metroid and Prime have sublime level design.

Around the Network

After reading the title of this thread, the first game that instantly popped into my mind is Super Mario Galaxy (both 1 and 2).

But I also have to agree on Metroid.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

BraLoD said:
Really hard question.
Metal Gear Solid, probably, it's all very well placed and fundamental on considering the gameplay.

I'd disagree with this. Some parts are very well-made and executed, but there's something wrong with the design of others.

Imo metal gear soild 3 has the best level design

Super Mario Bros.

Maybe Mario 3D World, Yoshi Wooly World, and Kirby's Epic Yarn? I find it excellent they manage to have a new gimmick for almost every stage, and there's 8 worlds. So that's a lot of unique levels.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread