By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which game has the best level design

Ratchet and Clank series has a really amazing level design imo. All the worlds look and feel so unique from each other and it's always fun to visit the same places again.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Cloudman said:
Maybe Mario 3D World, Yoshi Wooly World, and Kirby's Epic Yarn? I find it excellent they manage to have a new gimmick for almost every stage, and there's 8 worlds. So that's a lot of unique levels.

Oh, your post reminded me of Sheep Raider, each stage there was a new mechanic and the discover process to how to beat it.

Such a great game.

Yeeah, those type of games with unique mechanics are pretty cool... Also, this is the 1st time I've heard of that game xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Super Metroid and Metroid Prime both have absolutely phenomenal level design. Zero Mission, too. And yes, obviously all of the Souls games.

Wind Waker too. As well as ALttP/ALBW.

Cloudman said:
Maybe Mario 3D World, Yoshi Wooly World, and Kirby's Epic Yarn? I find it excellent they manage to have a new gimmick for almost every stage, and there's 8 worlds. So that's a lot of unique levels.

Oh yes! SM3DW is truly a master class in game design.

BraLoD said:
Wright said:

I'd disagree with this. Some parts are very well-made and executed, but there's something wrong with the design of others.

I'm not talking about MGS 2, ya know xP

No, you're talking about MGS1. The game that forced repetition with its map onto the player to extend its gameplay length. The one that made a fun and unique first half of Shadow Moses then copy/pasted their way with the second half, often forcing the player to backtrack to previous areas, going up repetitive stairs or riding an elevator back twice to activate some key.

Around the Network

Asking the hard questions, aren't ya?

Off the top of my head, A Link Between Worlds.

What I consider good level design would be the perfect balance between teachig the player the tools he can use in his adventure (teaching and learning), leading the player to the adventure by his own curiosity (no hand holding), and either expand or complicate the scenario to use those tools for the feeling of growth (rise in difficulty).

That's how I can explain it with my dumb wording ability

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

I really need to replay that game.

Maybe I'm getting bored of Platformers, but I did not enjoy 3D World too much. It was a very creative and enjoyable experience, but not enough to make me feel that it was a great game. Soulless, would be the best way to describe the feeling.

Although, it might be that I'm bored of Platformers. I played Yoshi's Woolly World a few days ago, and I know it showed new mechanics in each level I played, creative new mechanics, but it was just "meh"...

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:

Maybe I'm getting bored of Platformers, but I did not enjoy 3D World too much. It was a very creative and enjoyable experience, but not enough to make me feel that it was a great game. Soulless, would be the best way to describe the feeling.

Although, it might be that I'm bored of Platformers. I played Yoshi's Woolly World a few days ago, and I know it showed new mechanics in each level I played, creative new mechanics, but it was just "meh"...

Oh I agree with that. I made a thread on the subject maybe a year ago going in depth on the matter. It definitely lacks identity.

Very few games rival its level design, though. If you care about game design and want to look at the game academically, you will be very, very pleased.

Slarvax said:
spemanig said:

For every 4 Platformers Wii U has, it has no RPG's.  It's a 4 to no RPGs at all ratio.

In all seriousness though, Wii U has way too many platformers.

And has no RPGs. 

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Wright said:

I'd say the first Dark Souls.

It's just a brilliant mixture of cleverness and flawless (minus certain spots) design. It invites and encourages exploration, thinking outside the box, memory and daringness. I have its map burned into my mind. It is really amazing how everything ends up being connected in a logical (minus certain spots) and organic way. Seriously, it's basically perfect in my eyes.

I think all Souls games have perfect level design. Dark Souls was probably the best though