By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why is there evil in the world, if God is all-powerful and good?

Duality is the foundation of existence.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:
Pleasantly surprised by the comments so far. Logically it also makes sense. If said deity were to make decisions for us and constantly intervene etc, there wouldn't be much point for a judgement day or Reincarnation.

At the very least he could show up every now and then to let us know he's there and still maybe cares.  I don't recall anything in the bible saying God would never physically manifest.  An all powerful being should know how our brains work.  There's mention of testing, but there's also "Ask and you shall receive"and a ton of other questionable notions just on this. 

Lube Me Up

Suffering and struggle are natural in life. For thousands and thousands of years our ancestors lived harsh lives of survival hunting and gathering. This makes up 90-95% of modern homo sapiens existence. Why? Because there were no gods there. There were no gods watching the previous millions of years as multiple extinction events occurred.

Gods are fabrications of the human mind. A mind capable of creating all sorts of wondrous fantasies. We can see thousands of gods across cultures that attempt to explain night/day, seasons, love, death, etc. We can read countless fantasy tales in modern times from Middle Earth to Westeros. In our arrogance upon becoming the dominant species on this planet we thought ourselves special and that the gods we'd created would think that as well.

The world is imperfect because it was not made for us. Like every other species we fought to survive and procreate our species. As we achieve greater comfort we view vestiges of the past as barbaric or cruel. The universe is utterly indifferent to us as it was to the millions of species that died out or are dying out.

I don't blame gods any more than I blame any fictional being for its flaws. The responsibility of our actions lies with us. For all our faults I have seen humanity's capacity to improve, grow, and learn from itself to make a better world. We still have so long to go, and shall see in coming centuries if we live up to our promise or fail the challenges that present themselves. All I know is there will once again be no gods there to determine that outcome.

Doesn't exist imo.

BlkPaladin said:
OdinHades said:
I don't get how free will can be an argument. First of all, an almighty and all-knowing being can make lifeforms that have free will and at the same time are forever happy. No problem whatsoever. Because said being is all-knowing and almighty, it will always know what will happen next, free will or not.

Secondly, an almighty and all-knowing being could also create lifeforms with free will that will never even think about doing anything bad whatsoever. Seriously, when we're talking about all-powerful, there is no limit. This so-called God from various religions can break each and every rule of physics. It can travel faster than light, back and forth in time and really has no reason to not make the world absolutely perfect. It could even make a rock that is so heavy that even itself can't lift it. Yes, that's paradox, but no problem for an almighty being, right? So even the slightest imperfection is by all means a sign that God is not perfect at all. If it exists. Which I doubt.

My honest opinion: The possible existence of an almighty God is just as terrifying as the existence of a God without absolute power. So not only do I not believe in any God. I also seriously hope that there is none.

You first point is covered in that if he made them that way then there will be no free will. Free will means there is always a chance that someone may decide to rebel.

The second is basic the same as the first. But the phyisic argument is a little narrow sighted. Phyisic as we know it is imposed on us by the rules of matter. If there is a god who created the universe then he is not bound by physics because he is not bound to this universe.

It kind of a weak but here is an article on the Multiverse theory, I tried to find the article a month or so ago when some found some evidence of a this being possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

And as to my expanded explination I found two articles with pretty much what I said with the scripture references. One is short than the other so I will post links to both. There was more but there is links to them in both articles.

The shorter of the two - Why does God allow Evil and Suffering

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011331

The a longer one - Why does God allow suffering?

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005141

I read those articles... and the second one is one of the most warped things I ever read.  One of god's creations is just fucking over billions of people, who are essentially powerless against him, and he's just like.  "Meh fuck it.  Fend for yourselves.  But I'll throw you a bone, and sarifice myself to myself.  Just believe that really hard, and I'll let you out of the torture chamber my guy made... eventually..."

That's a god people (at least the ones who agree with that site) are willing to worship?  How is it possible to believe that and still worship god?  Holy fucking balls man.  That's like watching a parapalegic someone get skinned alive by someone you could easily beat the shit out of, while you're  sitting with a baseball bat just watching and saying, "well if I just stop every person who tries to skin you alive, you'll never learn."

Around the Network

I blame the Apple for everything. lol!

Soriku said:
Eagle367 said:
God is only testing in this world. At least that's what every religion tell us. If this world had no problems then what would be the point of a heaven? Also when bad times come people remember God and in good times they forget. So everyone goes through there phases si God can test their loyalty in good and bad and thick and thin. Sometimes good people face bad things in life so that they are tested and sometimes so that they are punished only in this world and do not have to go through hell to pay for their sins
Yes some people will go to hell before eventually going to heaven. So testing is a problem if there is nothing to test. No devil to whisper into your ear and no evils. Also all these problems are a consequence of humans running rampant with free will. All man made problems. The world did not start this way

This argument is silly because some people have it much worse than others. If God is testing us he's hardly doing it fairly. Not sure how many people would argue the Holocaust has brought its victims some kind of positive gain when all is said and done.

Also if God is all knowing then testing us is pointless as he knows the outcome.

Well the logic is so that on the day of judgement we cannot say why are we going to hell if we did not do anything

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I don't know how to tell you this, but let's just say, you might as well argue about santa being extremly efficient only in rich countries. Same thing.

Isn't it about time people outgrew this religious nonsense?

The user was warned for this and other posts - VXIII.

padib said:

Following on some main questions that get posed, and the kind of questions you will face when discussing religion is the great question:

"Why is there evil in the world, if God is at once all-powerful and good?"

I have personally struggled with this question. Especially, if God is good, how could the devil be an evil creation? Wouldn't that make God evil too?

Well, to start, I wanted to share this video of an apologist named Dr. Ravi Zacharias, who is asked the question and answers something along the lines of the importance of free will in the emotion of love.

Especially, if I had a child, at what point is controlling my child to make sure they don't get hurt or make mistakes is harming them in the end? Of course, I assume every parent has the responsibility to care for their child until they come of age to make choices of their own, but at that point where they need to make choices, how "good" or how loving is controlling everything they do to avoid them causing or receiving harm?

Post your thoughts.

Because of Free will.  People choose what to do, and being evil (selfish) makes things easier. 

And you have the wrong idea, is not about controlling your child, it is about guiding him, and teaching him with the example.