By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why is there evil in the world, if God is all-powerful and good?

Yes, everything in the universe is relative. Even good and evil. A massive asteroid killing the entirety of humanity would sure as hell be seen as evil from most people. To the universe, it's just another day at the office.

The point is, why would an all-powerful being even create a world where something bad is possible? It doesn't make sense. If there is a creator who thought about everything in the universe and said creator only wants the best for people, then he could make the world just perfect without sacrificing free will. There wouldn't be even the need for death or something. In fact, even religious people back me up on this one. It's what they imagine of a paradise where people will live after they die. What bugs me about this is, why the need for this world? What's the point? An almighty god doesn't need to test us, he already knows what every single one of us will do and won't do. No matter how far you go and how many explanations you make up for that, it just doesn't make any sense at all, I'm sorry.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

1. Perception - Having lived abroad and having witnessed evil, living back in Ireland again now, peoples perception is so warped. Poverty and crime in Ireland is a joke compared to what I've seen. People think they have it hard here, where they really live in the top 1% of the world. Therefore, without some evil or in my case a higher level of evil, how can we appreciate the good? How can I be so passionate about the beauty in Ireland? Because I have seen whats it's like in many other, much more evil places.

2. Free will - Speaks for itself. Communism and facism have proven that controlling how people fell or are, creates a disaster. What is evil to? An affair? An evil video game? Maybe without these things, the person would never learn or never vent themselves.

By this logic you're saying that it's impossible to appreciate good food, a good movie, a good game, good company, or anything else positive without knowing how bad certain things are. Well no when I eat good food I don't necessarily compare it to anything else. I know it's good because it's delicious from the onset. You can make similar arguments for the other things I listed.

Besides, how can I tell what's good or what's not? How am I able to separate my experiences? What makes something good or bad exactly? Don't you think it might make sense we have something innate which allows us to judge things on their own merit?

Also I don't think simple appreciation is worth natural disasters, or the thousands of diseases that exist, aAnd yetmong other things. 

And yet what you count as delicious, someone else might perceive it to be gross. Or if you had it every day, it may not be delicious in time. But yes, generally, it's about perception. Whether that perception is formed through over exposure or something else. If life was bliss, then you would seek out even more to satisfy yourself.