By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why is there evil in the world, if God is all-powerful and good?

Bryank75 said:
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
Epicurus

Ponder this fellow gamers.
I used to be a very aggressive atheist but now I am more of a mellow humanist type.

God may be willing to prevent evil, but perhaps unwilling to commit another evil in the process.
The remaining options could result in the existence of evil, but perhaps only a temporary existence.
If an effort is made for evil's existence to be self-limiting and self-correcting, ability and willingness to prevent evil may coexist with the arriveth of evil.
If the effort is successful, that could be a reason to him an omnipotent, benevolent God.

--the TL;DR of Philosophy 101.

Ponder this fellow gamers.
Not knowing an answer to a question does not imply that the question has no answer.
Having an answer to a question does not imply that other answers do not also exist.
The beginning of wisdom is "I don't know".

Around the Network

Because we cannot understand our maker, he was far more advanced ancient astronaut from Sirius B.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

It's because God doesn't exist and is a fabrication of human imagination. Allowing the church to control people and maintain wealth whilst also giving people hope that once you die you don't just rot in the ground. Strange how that would be different to every other living thing on the planet....

I despise the 'problem with evil' argument, it's so whiny, and I'm a fucking atheist.

I usually don't get involved with these discussions, but Ithink will put up a short answeris nowI and a longer one later.
First Satan was created evil but as an Angel with free will. He choose to revealthe and become the being known as Satan, which isn't a name but a title which describes him.

Second when the first humans rebeled, it brought up the issue on whether God had the right to rule. And if humans could do better. God had the right to end them there but the questions should remain. So he is allowing time for enough evidence that this question will never have to be proved again.

I'm on my phone so I will go further into this, with the scripture references, when I get home from work

Around the Network

I am not going to get involve with is, but I can just say go and read the bible!

Because there's not such a thing as an interventionist God.

There's no such thing as God. Every religion is a fabrication of man. Lawmakers invented religion in order to keep citizens in line.

The only question I have about religion is what does God need with a starship?

Because God and evil are subjective.