By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Killer Instinct the Arcade Fighting Game this gen?

Tagged games:

Does KI have the protential to last a Season 4?

YES! KI has such a great ... 83 47.70%

NO. KI will start to age ... 91 52.30%

Total:174
Snoopy said:
CGI-Quality said:

We don't need this, Snoopy. 

I agree, we don't need capcom or democrats.

Oh come on man

I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what CGI-Quality meant when he/she said that part of your comment wasn't needed. 

Everyone has a right to their opinion on best fighting game this generation (which I feel will be SFV once it gets updates just KI since that game was bare bones at launch as well). My only thing is with the KI/ SFV comparisons is that KI launched very barebones and that game got praise and high scores. SFV is barebones and it is getting lambasted for it. I have my own personal thoughts about that, but I'll keep those to myself.

And for the guy debating whether or not Smash bros is a fighting game, it IS. The difference is that Smash isn't the same style of fighting game.

Around the Network

No, KI isn't the definitive fighting game this gen, though I'm sure you would like it to be.

Honestly, right now it'd be Smash, with Street Fighter V gearing up to take the mantle as soon as it finishes releasing.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Normchacho said:
Snoopy said:

Tekken sucks.

Virtua Fighter > Marvel vs Capcom > Street Fighter > Tekken > BlazBlue > Guilty Gear > Killer Instinct > Mortal Kombat > King of Fighters > Sonic the Fighters

dexterlablab1 said:

Everyone has a right to their opinion on best fighting game this generation (which I feel will be SFV once it gets updates just KI since that game was bare bones at launch as well). My only thing is with the KI/ SFV comparisons is that KI launched very barebones and that game got praise and high scores. SFV is barebones and it is getting lambasted for it. I have my own personal thoughts about that, but I'll keep those to myself.

That's not exactly true. Killer Instinct got even lower reviews than Street Figther V is currently getting. I'd say that overall, they pretty much got the same reception. Even on forums, I remember people arguing about how KI that robbed in the reviews since reviewers didn't know how to review a game based on this new distribution model.

Signature goes here!

Azuren said:
Normchacho said:

Virtua Fighter > Marvel vs Capcom > Street Fighter > Tekken > BlazBlue > Guilty Gear > Killer Instinct > Mortal Kombat > King of Fighters > Sonic the Fighters

For me, it's goes;

Smash>Tekken>Soul Caliber>>>Street Fighter>Guilty Gear>>>>Killer Instinct>Mortal Kombat

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Azuren said:

For me, it's goes;

Smash>Tekken>Soul Caliber>>>Street Fighter>Guilty Gear>>>>Killer Instinct>Mortal Kombat

Are we really allowed to count Smash? I also forgot SolCal. If so then here:

Smash >>>> VF > MvsC > SF > Tekken > SC > BlazBlue > GG > KI > MK > KoF > everything else.

I don't consider Smash to be anywhere close to a traditional fighter like KI or Tekken or SF, but I'd still give it the nod. It's more Power Stone than a fighter imho.

Outside of that if you wanna give it to KI, ok I guess. Personally I haven't been grabbed by any fighter this gen, pretty weak genre thus far imho. All have pretty big flaws imho.

I will say KI rebounded better than most thought it would. It's also kind of funny that it's doing what SFV aims to do, years before it. Launched rough, has updates along the way adding on, but is now very good. The difference is KI launched very cheap and SFV is full price. Let's hope SFV can build and become gold as KI did.

Was this the response op was looking for? (I have suddenly been overcome by a smug feeling)

BayonettaHair said:
Fight game: http://4d663a369f9f03c3c61e-870e77779efd63f7bd6c2ee08d8cfae6.r2.cf1.rackcdn.com/images/mVuO6Y8lilX-.840x0.Vdef9Kkm.jpg

Party Game: https://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/smash_bros_ryu_little_mac.jpg?w=1200&h=0&crop=1

seems legit

Nothing misleading about this.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

We really have to define what we think of fighting games because there are a few subgenres within fighting games. If we're going to rank the fighting games as fighting games I general, then games like Smash should be included because at its core it's still a fighting game, it was just meant to be more party-like since the creators (Iwata and Sakurai) were inspired to create a fighting game for everyone, not just competitive players. SF, KoF, MKX, KI, etc. are tradtional arcade fighters. SC, VF, and Tekken are 3D fighters. In the end, they are all fighting games because they do rely on pitting someone to go head to head against another person in combat (whether it be fists, swords, guns, or a mixture of both).

Personally, I give the nod to Smash 4, not just because I've mentioned it a lot in the previous paragraph, but I think it's stellar both before and after DLC. Incredible, all-time great cast, variety of stages, music, great gameplay, etc.

I think SFV will come around once the updates start kicking in, but as of now, it's tough to put it up there despite having (apparently) great mechanics and gameplay.