By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Killer Instinct the Arcade Fighting Game this gen?

Tagged games:

Does KI have the protential to last a Season 4?

YES! KI has such a great ... 83 47.70%

NO. KI will start to age ... 91 52.30%

Total:174

I have to agree with op. KI is fantastic.

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
Azzanation said:

Smash can be considered many genres, but its discribed as a beat 'em up and resembles more a beat 'em up then a fighting game. To say Smash plays anything like SF/KI/MK etc is like me saying Splatoon is FPS.

http://www.nintendo.com.au/catalogue/super-smash-bros-brawl

Labeled fighter however fighter can mean many things just like shooting can mean many things.

the fighting mechanics in Super Smash Bros are arguablly MORE advanced than other fighters, hence why Smash has one of the biggest tournament circuits in the world for gaming (when talking about fighters)

a traditional 'beat em up' is not a game in which you're in an arena with 1-3 other opponents fighting them to the death. A 'beat em up' is typically and adventure game where you walk through linear levels punching and kicking and killing waves of enemies

no reason to mis label what Smash is

if Smash isn't a true 'fighter' then there is NO true fighter. Again, in terms of combo possibilities and the variation of attacks nothing is more diverse than Smash. 

again, note that the individual 1-1 pro tour for Smash (particuarly Melee) is bigger than practically any other fighter game in terms of tournaments

no one goes to tournaments to play Smash as a 'party' game. and party is an objective term. Friends can sit around the couch and screw around playing each other in Street Fighter just like they can with Melee, the only big differen being that Smash Bros is not confined to 2D and occasionally adds item options and things

Which mechanics are those that you speak of? Smash is a brawl type of fighting game, it's not a traditional Arcade, it was supposed to be a party game. Like Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, etc...

Smash has one of the biggest FGC one of the reasons being, Nintendo games doesn't usually get replicated in terms of gameplay like other games. Street Fighter has KI, MK, KOF, Blazblue, etc... to compete with.

Goatseye said:

Which mechanics are those that you speak of? Smash is a brawl type of fighting game, it's not a traditional Arcade, it was supposed to be a party game. Like Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, etc...

Smash has one of the biggest FGC one of the reasons being, Nintendo games doesn't usually get replicated in terms of gameplay like other games. Street Fighter has KI, MK, KOF, Blazblue, etc... to compete with.

Competitively speaking, Smash Bros is one of the most complex fighters out there largely due to the sheer number of options, not only in the neutral, but also when someone is being hit. In Smash 4 alone (considered to be the less technical out of the two main Smash games featured most prominently), I would argue the neutral is more complex than something like Street Fighter simply because of how much freedom there is to approach; one can attempt to dash in, short hop, full hop, use a safe-ish attack to get in, go for a grab or command grab (depending on character), try a pivot attack, or attempt to bait an attack out and punish on shield or dodge. There's certainly arguments to be made for whether something like SF's neutral or Smash's is more complex, as Smash lacks mixups, a key part of most fighting games, but I'd argue that Smash makes up for it with the sheer amount of movement avaliable.

Where Smash truly moves ahead on a competitive level is once someone lands a hit and follow ups begin. There aren't a ton of true combos in Smash; much of "comboing" is attempting to cover as many options as possible while keeping yourself from getting predictable. If you've hit your opponent, and you're trying to follow up on it, you have to take into account what options your opponent has, how to cover them, how and when to attack to give yourself the best chance of hitting them, and to avoid overextending as well. When you're being hit, you have to consider which way to DI (or whether to DI at all), which way to tech if you hit a surface (or whether to tech), and then how you can best get back into neutral. Comboing in Smash is an intense series of mindgames, which I think elevates the "technical" aspect of it at high level play past something like Street Fighter.

But opinion's opinion. People will disagree with me.

Onto the op question, I'd actually agree, because KI reminds me the most of old arcade fighters, particularly something like Primal Rage. Same level of cheesiness with zaney backstories.

Azuren said:
Azzanation said:

A lot of Posters going off topic here. Please stick to the thread.
Interesting poll results, seems like a Season 4 KI is very likely basing off the popularity.
Here is my opinions on other fighters and why KI is the best one I’ve played so far.

SFV I am liking for what it is right now but it is not even comparable to KI S1 let alone KI S2. SFV is like having this really cool gun with no targets to shoot. It’s a major tease right now.

Guilty Gear Xrd is fun and I love the art style however the characters and story line just don’t match the incredibly over the top KI roster and visuals KI brings to the table. I mean Riptor, Spinal and Fulgore just to name a few are just too badass and fun just to watch let alone play. I just can’t seem to like or fall in love with the toons in GG.

Mortal Kombat X was fun for 3 hours, then after seeing all the X-Ray moves and fatalities it become very generic and I actually got bored very quickly. Plays ok but it’s become very slow and predictable. Has a cool story mode but I find MK lacks gameplay.

Tekkon 7 is going to be amazing but to say it’s going to be better is an assumption because we all thought SFV was going to be the king of fighters on launch and look what happened. It’s become 2016 most disappointment game so far in my books (Until the updates hit) sitting on a 3.3 Meta on User ratings and 3,628 reviews = Mixed on Steam. These aren’t numbers you want to see for a game.

Blazblue I tried it out on sale on Steam, it’s not bad but it’s nothing fantastic either. Just felt like another generic fighting game trying to earn its strips. BlazBlue and Guilty Gears are not really my type of games, I think there aimed for a different audience.

Where KI kills it for me is the learning curve of the game and the incredible speed it brings to the table. All its characters feel really balanced and unique. Not one character in KI resembles another. They all play differently and they all have their own cool effects and look amazing. KI also offers one of the best sound tracks I’ve heard (Sound and Music is important to me) and the adrenaline pumping gameplay never gets boring, getting off crazy combo numbers or breakers feels so good. I have had the game installed on launch and have not once uninstalled the game. I’ve always gone back to it. Tekken 7 has a lot to live up to in my books because KI (in my opinion) has set the standard so far and with Season 3 offering another bunch of unique characters and stages plus adding a visual upgrade, I can’t see KI losing ground right now.
Those that have played KI will know exactly what I’m talking about. Fanboyism aside?, try out KI S2 now and give your thoughts before judging it. The game is just incredible and clearly the best KI game I’ve ever played and that’s saying something.

You snubbed Street Fighter V (which, on a mechanics point, far outpaces KI and any of its seasons), Guilty Gear Xrd (which outpaces in both mechanics AND flair), Mortal Kombat X (I'll give you that, MK hasn't been good in a long time, and arguably never was), Tekken 7 (A game that isn't even out, whose name you misspelled, and are judging it based on... SFV?), and BlazBlue (which trumps KI for the same reason GG does)... and then you have the gall to say "Fanboyism aside"? Az, you're pushing a kind-of-okay fighter over legitimately great fighters. And this kind-of-okay fighter also happens to be the only one exclusive to a console that you are notorious for defending and pushing.

Maybe once in a while, step back and examine yourself? Or at very least, the content you post. Because when you spend an entire post stepping all over good fighting games only to push your Freemium fighting game, it just makes others take you less seriously.

KI at launch and still today remains to be one of the best coded fighting games for next gen. KI doesn’t need to improve its mechanics because it’s already up there with the best of them. SFV also has great mechanics however SFV right now isn’t even comparable to KI S1 and I am not basing that off its mechanics but as a game package.

Quote * Street Fighter V (which, on a mechanics point, far outpaces KI and any of its seasons)*

How can SFV have far superior mechanics to a game with almost a flawless system? You’re getting carried away now, not sure why, is it because I am liking something you don’t like? Or maybe liking something on a platform you hate? KI is also coming to PC and I do not care for platforms, I care for games.

Also what is your problem in my thread? I am listing my opinions of why KI is the better fighting game for me. If you prefer Blublaze or Guilty Gears then that’s fine. I certainly don’t put them up there in the top 5. That’s my opinion.

I am happy to debate these games with each other, however I would rather you tell me what makes GG or BB or SF a better game than KI? Instead of just throwing out sentences like “SFV far outpaces KI and any of its seasons” nonsense. Tell me why? Because from what I have played from both, SF doesn’t outpace KI in any way. It is a quality game like KI but with a lot less right now.

"You snubbed Street Fighter V (which, on a mechanics point, far outpaces KI and any of its seasons)"
LOL, and then he went on with Blazblue and Guilty Gear... get out of here man.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Azuren said:

You snubbed Street Fighter V (which, on a mechanics point, far outpaces KI and any of its seasons), Guilty Gear Xrd (which outpaces in both mechanics AND flair), Mortal Kombat X (I'll give you that, MK hasn't been good in a long time, and arguably never was), Tekken 7 (A game that isn't even out, whose name you misspelled, and are judging it based on... SFV?), and BlazBlue (which trumps KI for the same reason GG does)... and then you have the gall to say "Fanboyism aside"? Az, you're pushing a kind-of-okay fighter over legitimately great fighters. And this kind-of-okay fighter also happens to be the only one exclusive to a console that you are notorious for defending and pushing.

Maybe once in a while, step back and examine yourself? Or at very least, the content you post. Because when you spend an entire post stepping all over good fighting games only to push your Freemium fighting game, it just makes others take you less seriously.

KI at launch and still today remains to be one of the best coded fighting games for next gen. KI doesn’t need to improve its mechanics because it’s already up there with the best of them. SFV also has great mechanics however SFV right now isn’t even comparable to KI S1 and I am not basing that off its mechanics but as a game package.

Quote * Street Fighter V (which, on a mechanics point, far outpaces KI and any of its seasons)*

How can SFV have far superior mechanics to a game with almost a flawless system? You’re getting carried away now, not sure why, is it because I am liking something you don’t like? Or maybe liking something on a platform you hate? KI is also coming to PC and I do not care for platforms, I care for games.

Also what is your problem in my thread? I am listing my opinions of why KI is the better fighting game for me. If you prefer Blublaze or Guilty Gears then that’s fine. I certainly don’t put them up there in the top 5. That’s my opinion.

I am happy to debate these games with each other, however I would rather you tell me what makes GG or BB or SF a better game than KI? Instead of just throwing out sentences like “SFV far outpaces KI and any of its seasons” nonsense. Tell me why? Because from what I have played from both, SF doesn’t outpace KI in any way. It is a quality game like KI but with a lot less right now.

The issue I have is your opinion seems to be more based on what platform the game is available on after taking into account your reputation and post history. To blanket answer your question, though, Feeling and tight controls. KI is good, but it's by no stretch of the meaning the best. All it is is the Xbox Exclusive Fighter that Nintendo 64 fans may or may not be into.

Goatseye said:
"You snubbed Street Fighter V (which, on a mechanics point, far outpaces KI and any of its seasons)"

Your comment (both in content and execution) show you really have no place discussing a whole lot about fighting games. Posts like this are better left for YouTube.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Goatseye said:

I agree, that’s where his logic makes no sense. There not bad games but there not even AAA games. SFV is arguable in terms of mechanics but to say BB or GG has better mechanics was actually laughable and sad at the same time. It seems he refuses to like KI regardless of how good the game really is. I respect opinions but this is having a straight out dig on KI.

Azuren said:
Azzanation said:

The issue I have is your opinion seems to be more based on what platform the game is available on after taking into account your reputation and post history. To blanket answer your question, though, Feeling and tight controls. KI is good, but it's by no stretch of the meaning the best. All it is is the Xbox Exclusive Fighter that Nintendo 64 fans may or may not be into.

Goatseye said:

Your comment (both in content and execution) show you really have no place discussing a whole lot about fighting games. Posts like this are better left for YouTube.

The problem here is I am not talking about Xbox, I am talking about Killer Instinct. Pin point where in my posts I am mentioning Xbox in fanboy terms? My Article title doesn’t even have Xbox in its name.

Have you been around gaming long? KI in its days on SNES and 64 were state of the art and a phenomenon to fighters at the time. It was one of the best going around and was a complete sell out at the arcades. Don’t let the Nintendo or Xbox exclusiveness cloud your judgment because it’s not going to seem as popular as fighting games on multiple platforms. KI was and still is up there with the best of them regardless who owns the IPs in my opinion.

If you don’t like my opinions or reputation because I am not one to follow the crowd then you shouldn’t be in here posting in my articles. This is about Killer Instinct and opinions on its quality and where it stands in the fighting genre not about me.

I could easily say the same thing about you and your reputation. Let’s move on.

You shouldn't even be bothering anymore. This is a case of just disagreeing to... disagree.

Back to Youtube!

Lol, wishful thinking. Even SFV is better worth is lack of content. Not surprised by who payed the thread though

The user was moderated for this post - VXIII

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Thank you for the thread and giving your opinion on the topic. It never occurred to me before that Killer Instinct would of got the love it deserved if it were on Playstation. Whether or not it gets adored Killer Instinct is the best fighting game this generation. The soundtrack alone makes it more enjoyable. Here's what I love about the gameplay;

There's a lot of new special moves that play differently from anything in the genre. Like Shadow Jago's

I love to perform combos. If that's wrong i don't want to be right. Combos in the fighting genre are unintuitive and lame! Killer Instinct gives combos for days! It's so much fun and easy to pick up with each character once you get it with one.

When you are fighting regular the mechanics are similar to street fighter only with newer moves.

I also really like that the fight is not broken down into rounds. The instinct and shadow meters are excellent too.

Everything about Killer Instinct makes me happy. Those gorgeous graphics are on another stratosphere. Everything about it is perfect and it only gets better. IMO Killer Instinct is the greatest fighting game of every generation. People who nay-say don't appreciate the same things. Fuck-em who cares. We can all breath easy. Killer Instinct is HERE!! and it's bad-freaking-ass!!