By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do people fear you because of your skin color?

Hey,

I have been living in America for 3 years now and I get the sense that people are afraid of me. I am a quiet and nerdy guy but somehow in America that doesn't translate. People assume that since I am hispanic I might have violent leanings or I am prone to crime. I have been racially profiled before at my school and gotten in trouble. Any way, I am  upset as I see that ideologies about race are very real in America. Meaning that people have a strong racial identity, while in my country people had a stronger class and cultural identity.

What are you thoughts?

Around the Network

I have a white avatar but I'm not white. I'm black and I've had people tell me they didn't talk to me because they were scared of me. They didn't even know me...but they were scared. To be honest, I think, I'm one of the kindest people you could meet. The scary people in my life have rarely been my own kind but the opposite. I guess it's all about personal experience and perspective.

People definitely fear me, idk if it's my skin color or what. Usually when I'm walking they'd cross the street to avoid me, If they have a kid with them they'd tell them not to talk to me. Females clench their purses while males check their wallets. People look back and double take because they can't even believe I exist. When I walk into a small store or restaurant the whole place becomes worried and uneasy because they think I'm going to rob the joint. People have said I look intimidating, what did I do to deserve this? Stop judging me without knowing me.

They should... :O

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

BraLoD said:

Yes, I'm so white people are afraid to come too close and get blind.

At least that's what I tell myself to try to stop crying before sleeping.

This

Around the Network

when i visited mexico the people there seemed to fear me. that's the only time i've noticed it

Not for my skin color as I'm within the preferred color range in this world.
Yet when I still had long hair I was 'randomly' picked an awful lot for extra security checks at airports. Probably more so with the expectation of finding drugs than anything else.

I'm one of the lucky ones.. I'm white AND Hispanic.

bet: lost

Not really, but I do come in with a certain mentality when i see/talk to somebody of a certain color whom I am jsut meeting for the first time. I've personally have never been profiled (I'm hispanic) cause I always get confused with a white guy or some sort of European but I deinifely know it happens. America put a gross amount of emphasize on color/race and I'll never understand why.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I may be a mutt, but at a cursory glance I look almost entirely white, though I do believe a lot of people are intimidated by my size and demeanor.